Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The real question is why the f*** do we still care about Mantha? He plays on Washington. Who cares if he is slumping anymore???

Some have followed him since 2013. That's a long time. They are invested in him as a player. The trade is still pretty fresh and people have been really curious how he'd look on a better team.

But I agree it's fairly annoying to get constant updates on old players when someone either holds a grudge against them or a grudge they aren't on the team anymore. This isn't fun for anyone but the person posting.

The Mantha chatter will drop by next year. But it was a big trade, so it's going to come up time to time in the context of where the roster is at and how we got here.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Some have followed him since 2013. That's a long time. They are invested in him as a player. The trade is still pretty fresh and people have been really curious how he'd look on a better team.

But I agree it's fairly annoying to get constant updates on old players when someone either holds a grudge against them or a grudge they aren't on the team anymore. This isn't fun for anyone but the person posting.

The Mantha chatter will drop by next year. But it was a big trade, so it's going to come up time to time in the context of where the roster is at and how we got here.

Yeah, I liked Mantha and he went to a team I generally care about outside of the Wings. I like seeing Washington do well. One of my best friends is a Washington slap. He was apoplectic that they gave up Vrana for Mantha. He was also kinda like your average "I love hockey in all forms" guy, because his favorite player on that roster was Jay Beagle before he was traded. I think it took him until like last year to really grasp the whole cap vs just having good players thing.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I hope Mantha does well in Washington, and won't be upset with the trade even if he lights it up and wins the Smythe for the Caps.

It was his time. We tried him, he didn't pan out the way we were looking for, so now he has been moved. Happens all the time, and his performance in Washington won't change that for me (unless he becomes a superstar and somehow the Wings were incapable of getting that out of him).

Reactions: Filppula

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I'm not surprised Mantha didn't work out for the Wings. Management kind of shit on him from the moment he was drafted.

I hope he does well in Washington. Yet another player this club couldn't maximize.

Reactions: 14ari13

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

That's fair but I've seen some say they want him to win a cup when that directly affects our pick being worse. I can't get behind that logic at all...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's fair but I've seen some say they want him to win a cup when that directly affects our pick being worse. I can't get behind that logic at all...

Well, I can't account for people wanting to wear pants on their heads, but hey, that's their right. Best we can do is ignore the silly pants folks and focus on the ones that are interested in talking about Mantha in a way that doesn't sound like scorned lover.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Well, I can't account for people wanting to wear pants on their heads, but hey, that's their right. Best we can do is ignore the silly pants folks and focus on the ones that are interested in talking about Mantha in a way that doesn't sound like scorned lover.
Mantha can score all he wants as long it doesn't effect the draft pick i could care less.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It should be noted we have had a few posters go over to the WSH board, and were less than polite over there.

I don't like seeing that.
What did they do? Brag about how big our dicks used to be? I know Washington has a laughable playoff history with Ovechkin but we don't have much to gloat about these days.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I hope Mantha does well in Washington, and won't be upset with the trade even if he lights it up and wins the Smythe for the Caps.

It was his time. We tried him, he didn't pan out the way we were looking for, so now he has been moved. Happens all the time, and his performance in Washington won't change that for me (unless he becomes a superstar and somehow the Wings were incapable of getting that out of him).
Would you be upset if our would-be-pick (if he does "light it up")would have been a perennial all star blue chip prospect but instead we got the last pick in the first round because of some meaningless sentimental value?

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It is very important to me they lose in round 1 and hopefully don't win their division. Then we get a better pick than Veleno.

there isn't actually any difference in draft pick between them losing in the first or second round by the way

look at Tampa in 2019 for example, lost in the 1st round and still drafted 27th because they were the highest seed

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
there isn't actually any difference in draft pick between them losing in the first or second round by the way

look at Tampa in 2019 for example, lost in the 1st round and still drafted 27th because they were the highest seed

Yes. Seems rounds 1 and 2 losers are grouped the same. Cheer for Pittsburgh. Could be important.

Reactions: ricky0034

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Not to sidetrack the trade conversation, but if Wilson was on this team, he'd be a fan favorite.

There's quite a few of us that like Smith, and he's not half the player Wilson is. Witter still gets mentioned here, and he's an AHL level player.

Not sure that's as true as it was. Wilson doesn't even have the illusion of honour, and certainly his worst acts of dangerous or violent play have not been to protect team-mates but to instigate violence himself. He's a cheap-shotting a-hole rather than your old school warrior.

Smith is just a prototypcal physical 4th line winger who needs to be policeman to stay in the line up. Not seen evidence yet of being overtly dirty. Witter was popular because of his off-ice persona and the fact that he totally understood his number 1 job was to stand up for team-mates, and because he was so happy to be a wing.

Also, we're always more forgiving of borderline goons if its obvious they need to bring that element to make the NHL.

Wilson doesn't need to cross the line as often as he does, and he has a total lack of respect for the individual or type of opponent. Everyone has some idea of a vaguely accepted code, and he tramples all over it. Guy's a punk.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Since this turned into a f$ck Washington thread I’ll mention Pitts has 3 games left vs Was 4 games.

Pitts is up early on Philly now and finishes with 2 games vs BUF. Could run the table.

If WAS wins division the pick will be 25-32 regardless of how they do in the playoffs.

If they don’t win division and lose in one of the first two rounds, the pick will between 17- 25ish. As they’ve got the 8thish most points the pick might fall in the middle of that range. 21st maybe at best. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 14ari13

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Would you be upset if our would-be-pick (if he does "light it up")would have been a perennial all star blue chip prospect but instead we got the last pick in the first round because of some meaningless sentimental value?
It is what it is. I wouldn't be happy the Capitals made it far and that was why we lost a specific prospect or whatever, but you can only do so much with what you have. Do you think if the Caps win the cup it will be a bad trade? I don't place THAT much value in the pick that dropping a few spots late in the first should be a major detriment to the team's rebuilding efforts.

Other than going to Washington and breaking Mantha's legs I'm not sure what I can do about something like that.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad