Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Is ovechkin injured? Caps lost 1st place to pens. Looks like they won't get 1st in their division. So we hope they lose in round 1 and the trade looks amazing good
Yes, Ovy and Carlson, though both skated in practice today.

They have a game in hand on Pitt, but Pitt plays Philly and Buff so they can easily win out. Caps have the toughest remaining schedule, and it probably comes down to the last game of the season in Boston to determine seeding.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yes, Ovy and Carlson, though both skated in practice today.

They have a game in hand on Pitt, but Pitt plays Philly and Buff so they can easily win out. Caps have the toughest remaining schedule, and it probably comes down to the last game of the season in Boston to determine seeding.
As long as they lose in round 1 all good. Then we get 1 1st in top 5/10 and another one top 20.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I’m surprised at how quickly I've developed an emotional attachment to Vrana. But dude just seems like a big himbo, and I appreciate his general positive energy.

Some of the guys on the Caps boards said exactly that...he's just like your goofy little brother who doesn't take anything too seriously. That might not be a bad attitude to have on this team. It seems like Mantha wasn't having any fun, and it really showed. We need Jake's smile around here.

The next guy who gets a face wash with those gloves is gonna be like, "WTF?!? Labrador?!?"

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
As long as they lose in round 1 all good. Then we get 1 1st in top 5/10 and another one top 20.

Check this out.... from tankathon...

7. Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

That reads to me like it’s round 1 and 2.

Reactions: 14ari13

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Check this out.... from tankathon...

7. Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

That reads to me like it’s round 1 and 2.

We're basically rooting for the Caps to not win their division, get bounced in the 1st round, and for as many upsets in the first 2 rounds as possible. Theoretically, it's possible the Caps first rounder winds up being as high as #17.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Mantha hasn’t scored a goal in 6 games now. This is the Mantha I know
eh, goal scorers are streaky.

I haven't seen the games but the real question is if he's engaged and getting shots on goal.

I guess I have to root for the Caps to suck this playoffs but after that I'd like Mantha to do well. He's got one of the greatest goal scorers of all time as a teammate now so he shouldn't have to look far for inspiration.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
We're basically rooting for the Caps to not win their division, get bounced in the 1st round, and for as many upsets in the first 2 rounds as possible. Theoretically, it's possible the Caps first rounder winds up being as high as #17.
Yes on all accounts.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
And basically their goalie can easily make it happen.

Reactions: jaster

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I really expected Mantha to step up more with Ovechkin out. I've only seen the highlights so I can't speak to his play or if he's snakebit or anything, but I figured he'd benefit a little from the increased opportunity.

roman star

ready to march
Feb 17, 2019
im ecstatic with this trade , ecspecially getting the xtra 1st . and now im wondering with vrana's reputation if hes going to fit the yzerman mold or is he going to be moved for another pick or prospect ? ecspecially with him not being signed long term which might be good cause to move him before it gets too close to serious contract negotiations . going to be a busy off season , ecspecially when you look at all the red wings cap space which could be used in various ways

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lie 1, not 6 games.
Lie 2, he had assists.
Lie 3, the whole team got shutout 2 or 3 times.
5 games without a goal and 1 assist in that time span. When the other guys aren't scoring, that's when the team needs him the most. Potting 2 points in a blowout doesn't help the Caps, they need secondary scoring when Ovy and Carlson are out.

He's still getting chances, but deferring to the pass when he should be shooting. Looks OK defensively, but you know Mantha.... he'll play well offensively or defensively but not both in one game.

One thing is clear, he does not have the motivation to dominate the game even though he has the talent to do so. It is what it is.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
5-on-5 (last 10 team games)

Individual xG (from natural stat trick)

Vrana____ 1.03 (at Detroit)
Ovechkin_ 0.89
Mantha___ 0.69 (at Detroit)
Mantha___ 0.52 (at Washington)
Vrana____ 0.43 (at Washington)

This is very interesting... like, both TEAMS have benefitted from this trade. But Vrana has benefitted most as an INDIVIDUAL. Yzerman really has the eye to see struggling talent.

Detroit-Vrana (1.03) is better than Detroit-Mantha (0.69)
But Caps-Mantha (0.52) is also better than Caps-Vrana (0.43)

Reactions: lilidk

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
He hasn't been bad. He's just kind of been sort of the same as here, maybe like 30% better. That's what I saw in the Caps games I watched.
Luckily Wilson's antics make it much easier to cheer against the Caps.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He hasn't been bad. He's just kind of been sort of the same as here, maybe like 30% better. That's what I saw in the Caps games I watched.
Luckily Wilson's antics make it much easier to cheer against the Caps.
Not to sidetrack the trade conversation, but if Wilson was on this team, he'd be a fan favorite.

There's quite a few of us that like Smith, and he's not half the player Wilson is. Witter still gets mentioned here, and he's an AHL level player.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Same happens with Points/60:

All situations (last 10 team games)

Bäckström_ 3.36 (team-high at Washington)
Vrana____ 2.68 (at Detroit)
Mantha___ 2.17 (at Washington)
Mantha___ 1.91 (at Detroit)
Vrana____ 1.85 (at Washington)

Both are better in their new teams than the other player was, but Vrana has done much bigger jump than Mantha.

Reactions: lomekian

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Not to sidetrack the trade conversation, but if Wilson was on this team, he'd be a fan favorite.

There's quite a few of us that like Smith, and he's not half the player Wilson is. Witter still gets mentioned here, and he's an AHL level player.
I don't agree. I wouldn't take Wilson on this team in a million years. There is a vast, vast difference between tough as nails fan favorites and dirty, unhinged players who take cheapshots.
Luke Witkowsi was tough as balls and played hard, but was not dirty. Smith is the same. If those guys started doing the stuff Wilson has done, I absolutely want no part in it.
It's embarrassing. I didn't want Todd Bertuzzi on this team either, though luckily he was not really a dirty player by that point.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

This is false equivalency trash. Smith, Witter and every other workaday “enforcer” don’t belong in the same category as the deranged baboon that is Tom Wilson and it has nothing to do with talent. I want Wilson on this team about as much as I want to build my dream home on a minefield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad