Confirmed with Link: Mantha traded to Washington

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Ya, alot of people saying he would be good a few games and then suck for 20 like to glaze over they mean just this year. They obviously couldn't mean last year when he was just under a ppg. He looked mentally checked out this year. It happens after years of being a garbage team. The Wings better start getting better, like TZE said in another thread, Larkin looks miserable this year, the losing is getting to him too.
Losing and defending all the time will get to everyone.

The team has improved greatly to the last season, but if Yzerman and Blashill improve it even more we will miss out on a top 3/5 draft pick. And as far as I can tell people think we don't have a single core/franchise player. So how do we become a contender?

Vrana with a nice assist tonight.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Wonder what time was trade. Both Mantha and Larkin were sleeping when Yzerman called,or they just practicing sleeping day also

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I am a Capitals fan. I hate to see Vrana go but totally understand why this was done. First, Vrana is a RFA at the end of the season and will want a big raise. With Ovechkin and Samsanov contracts up, Vrana will not get the raise in Washington. He was going to be traded. Second, Vrana has been in dog houses for 4 separate coaches in Washington organization for whatever the reason. I think Mantha was in a similar position. Third, Panik's salary saving netted Sheary and Sprong for Washington. Fourth, Mantha is signed for next 4 years. The cost certainty is valuable with flat cap.

No question that the Capitals are going all in but the flat salary cap necessitated this trade. With possible loss of TJ Oshie to Kraken next year, they needed a power forward. Right now, Mantha is playing with Backstrom and Oshie. If he is not motivated by this, I do not know what will.

If Capitals lose Oshie, they will promote Conor McMichael as a winger on this line.
In all these trade proposals, Red Wings fans always claimed what Martha could do, but where often belittled that his numbers did not prove it. I feel some sense of redemption already.

Regardless what becomes of Vrana, I like the trade. Detroit collected some assets and should have enough cap space to sign the forward(s) that fit(s) best when the seasons in the abyss are over some day.

Gruß,
BSHH

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Losing and defending all the time will get to everyone.

The team has improved greatly to the last season, but if Yzerman and Blashill improve it even more we will miss out on a top 3/5 draft pick. And as far as I can tell people think we don't have a single core/franchise player. So how do we become a contender?

Vrana with a nice assist tonight.
Couple of nice steals too.

He's looked good on both ends of the ice, I've seen him cheat trying to get a breakaway a few times, but other than that I think he's looked better than the Wings version of Mantha. 2pts in 3 games, even +/-. Mantha wouldn't be producing any more than that.

Blash let him have some time with Larkin last night, and they looked good together, Vrana with a nice feed to Larkin in front. Should just stay with that until Fabbri gets healthy. Stick Erne back on the 4th line, run 2 decent lines so the team doesn't get shut out.

Reactions: 14ari13

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Couple of nice steals too.

He's looked good on both ends of the ice, I've seen him cheat trying to get a breakaway a few times, but other than that I think he's looked better than the Wings version of Mantha. 2pts in 3 games, even +/-. Mantha wouldn't be producing any more than that.

Blash let him have some time with Larkin last night, and they looked good together, Vrana with a nice feed to Larkin in front. Should just stay with that until Fabbri gets healthy. Stick Erne back on the 4th line, run 2 decent lines so the team doesn't get shut out.

Vrana has been better than what I expected.
Panik was bad in game 1, good game 2, so so in game 3.
Vrana has played in 2 games?
I think I like better Panik than namestikov and Ganger. But it is only 3 games.
I want Svechnikov back in the lineup.
It will be interesting to see how we do vs stars on home ice.

Reactions: Pomee

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Vrana has been better than what I expected.
Panik was bad in game 1, good game 2, so so in game 3.
Vrana has played in 2 games?
I think I like better Panik than namestikov and Ganger. But it is only 3 games.
I want Svechnikov back in the lineup.
It will be interesting to see how we do vs stars on home ice.
In some Wings blog they brought up the interesting point that Panik gives the Wings a player to fulfill the exposure requirement for the expansion draft. And gives them the option of protecting Namestnikov.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In some Wings blog they brought up the interesting point that Panik gives the Wings a player to fulfill the exposure requirement for the expansion draft. And gives them the option of protecting Namestnikov.
Vlad is just another plug, he won't get selected. His offensive contributions are the same as LGD, but without the defense. If Seattle takes Vlad, and there's a need for a plug at center, they can re-sign Flip for a year.

Smith has certain skills that are useful, if not with the Wings down in the AHL where there's more fights. McIlrath is UFA. (Pretty sad that GR is a factor for the protection list, but that's what it comes down to.)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Vlad is just another plug, he won't get selected. His offensive contributions are the same as LGD, but without the defense. If Seattle takes Vlad, and there's a need for a plug at center, they can re-sign Flip for a year.

Smith has certain skills that are useful, if not with the Wings down in the AHL where there's more fights. McIlrath is UFA. (Pretty sad that GR is a factor for the protection list, but that's what it comes down to.)
Part of it was just that I forgot expansion draft playing a factor in roster decisions. Though honestly with the dearth of talent on the Wings right now it doesn't seem like they have a lot to worry about in who to expose.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I have heard about it. I don't mind if both get picked.
I kind of feel we need another season to get a high 3/5 draft pick.
I don't know if Yzerman can trade up.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Said it when we landed him: Vrana has a better shot than Mantha.

Vrana is now T-8 in even strength goals over the last 3 years. He joins Connor (with his goal tonight) and Mackinnon.

Reactions: Pomee

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
At this point I'm starting to think that maybe Vrana was actually worth giving up 1st, 2nd, Mantha and Panik for.... wait you're telling me WE got Panik, 1st and a 2nd??? WUUUUT??

:popcorn::D:nod::laugh:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Will Vrana steal the C after he scores 40 and leads us to the playoffs with an impressive 70 goal playoff run for the cup?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Has anyone looked at how drastic the difference is between the Capitals reaction and the Wings reaction from a fan base perspective.

The Caps have been happy about the deal and talk about how they hope Vrana goes on to be successful.

Here it’s just the toxic shit hole where Wings fans look for every opportunity to dunk on Mantha because....reasons? I guess?

Losing has sucked to deal with, but a lot of this fan base has not handled it well.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Has anyone looked at how drastic the difference is between the Capitals reaction and the Wings reaction from a fan base perspective.

The Caps have been happy about the deal and talk about how they hope Vrana goes on to be successful.

Here it’s just the toxic shit hole where Wings fans look for every opportunity to dunk on Mantha because....reasons? I guess?

Losing has sucked to deal with, but a lot of this fan base has not handled it well.
Sometime around 2013 onward a clear inferiority complex formed on most RW message boards over players suddenly not wanting to view Detroit as a top destination. It started with the Suter and Parise snubs and was only made worse with not getting a chance to even talk to Stamkos.

Mantha seemingly giving up on the team seems to have personally insulted a lot of people in the fandom, it’s not just unique to Hfboards. Its kind of like the pretty girl who got fat after high school and is now bitter she doesn’t get the same attention. It’s kind of pathetic how personal some people make it seem tbh.

Mantha’s lack of effort isn’t necessarily an indication of how he views the city of Detroit, its fans, or even ownership group, it’s simply a natural reaction to a player being stuck on a losing team that likely will continue to be a losing team for the near future. More people would be affected by that then one would like to admit, at least in my opinion. It’s very easy to say that you’d be a good solider on a rebuilding team when you’re not the one putting up inferior numbers that will affect your career earnings.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Sometime around 2013 onward a clear inferiority complex formed on most RW message boards over players suddenly not wanting to view Detroit as a top destination. It started with the Suter and Parise snubs and was only made worse with not getting a chance to even talk to Stamkos.

Mantha seemingly giving up on the team seems to have personally insulted a lot of people in the fandom, it’s not just unique to Hfboards. Its kind of like the pretty girl who got fat after high school and is now bitter she doesn’t get the same attention. It’s kind of pathetic how personal some people make it seem tbh.

Mantha’s lack of effort isn’t necessarily an indication of how he views the city of Detroit, it’s fans, or even ownership group, it’s simply a natural reaction to a player being stuck on a losing team that likely will continue to be a losing team for the near future. More people would be affected by that then oje would like to admit, at least in my opinion.
It is way too much negativity.
I think it is exciting to follow how the rebuild is shaping up. Losing is not fun, but there are some small wins and improvements which can be fun.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Mantha isn't fighting for a team with Hathaway, Wilson, Dillon, and Chara. One less thing off his shoulder, really. Lav can just tell him we've got people for that, just go score if you're pissed.

Their D, team defense, and goalies have not looked good. It's much harder to outscore your mistakes in the playoffs.
this is a big factor in my veiw point . a team has to have say 3 tough guys plus at least 6 big bodies or your going to have problems in this league . size and toughness are ' talents ' that a team needs . and theres big tough players already in league that dont bring alot of offense that we could aquire cheaply which is what im hoping before seider starts next year as i dont want him getting attacked . plus all our rats coming up like raymond , bergy , and now vrana , zadina could use some cops . im liking delesarius on the ducks . hoping yzerman learned this once tbay got tougher / bigger , maroon ,they won a cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad