Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I'm not up on all the current events and haven't read a lot of this thread so forgive me if this already been asked and answered, but one thing about this jumps out at me.

Manny has been placed on injured reserve - correct?

Gillis made that call - correct?

How can Gillis over-ride doctor's assessments that Manny is fit to play? Furthermore, how would the league allow that?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I haven't seen it mentioned in the last few pages: does moving Malhotra to the IR give the Canucks salary cap relief?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I haven't seen it mentioned in the last few pages: does moving Malhotra to the IR give the Canucks salary cap relief?

If by relief you mean they gain extra cap space, then no. That would only occur once he's put on LTIR which is separate from just IR.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

I believe players on the IR doesn't give direct cap relief, but it does give a team the ability to go over the cap by the caphit that is on IR. So the canucks now have the ability to go over the cap by $2.5m for the rest of the season.

Pseudonymous*

He'll be on LTIR eventually so not sure why people even care if it does or doesn't on IR. It does when he is on LTIR and he WILL be on that in time

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If by relief you mean they gain extra cap space, then no. That would only occur once he's put on LTIR which is separate from just IR.

This is what I don't quite understand - if he is going to be out for the season, doesn't that justify LTIR? Is he only on regular IR because he is still considered medically okay to play? Or is it just a matter of having to wait two weeks before he can be placed on LTIR?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This is what I don't quite understand - if he is going to be out for the season, doesn't that justify LTIR? Is he only on regular IR because he is still considered medically okay to play? Or is it just a matter of having to wait two weeks before he can be placed on LTIR?

If he's on IR, the team can still accumulate cap savings as they're below the cap right now. LTIR however doesn't let you do that. So if the Canucks need another, say, 2.5M in cap space for a trade then they'll put him on LTIR at the deadline to maximize the space they'd get.

He could have been placed on IR or LTIR just the same - LTIR just lets you exceed the cap by his cap hit.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm not up on all the current events and haven't read a lot of this thread so forgive me if this already been asked and answered, but one thing about this jumps out at me.

How can Gillis over-ride doctor's assessments that Manny is fit to play? Furthermore, how would the league allow that?

Fit to play is a little different than playing without an increased risk to your safety.

I think the team and player in this case can easily make the case that the decreased vision is just not the ideal way to continue play in safest manner possible.

The league wouldn't be able to say anything that would override a players' sense of increased risk to his safety. Its too subjective, and something they just can't override and claim otherwise.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

I believe it's Gillis, Malhotra and the medical staff. I don't think the eye is the issue, it's that he's not safe out there due to his impaired vision. He could get blindsided on a normal hit and get a huge concussion or worse.

Based on Gillis' presser and the things that are being reported by the media, I don't think this is as simple as Manny not being good enough.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Fit to play is a little different than playing without an increased risk to your safety.

I think the team and player in this case can easily make the case that the decreased vision is just not the ideal way to continue play in safest manner possible.

The league wouldn't be able to say anything that would override a players' sense of increased risk to his safety. Its too subjective, and something they just can't override and claim otherwise.
Seems that if Manny goes to LTIR that there's a loophole there for cap circumvention in other cases. I do not for a single solitary second believe that is the case here but it does seem to me that there's room for that. If the doctors can make one call and the GM another, then that is a problem in my opinion.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I wont really have a problem with this as long as it means ebbett wont be filling in for his defensive and faceoff responsibilities where he is awful.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010

I'm assuming that there was an injury that happened during one of the games last week hence the scratch. After the scratch, I'm assuming doctor's told MG and his eye would never be 100% that it would best for him to sit out.

So technically there could be an injury we just don't know about and they thought the best route would be to sit him out for the rest of the year. Perhaps there is an exception considering it's hard to fake an eye injury or visibility like someone could play through any other injury?

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Props to DefMars for putting the interview and press conference up.

I agree with what many of my fellow posters said.
The presser by Gillis reminded me of the Chad Johnson cut...

It might seem cold and calculating, but it is a business, and at the very least, Gillis seemed to be shaken by it.
I felt, from the presser, that Gillis was very uncomfortable with the decision, but he felt it had to be done.
It probably was a hockey decision, but medical concerns also came into play.
The impending return of Kesler also hastened the decision.

I believe Gillis when he said he talked to Manny about it in the summer and gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Both sides communicated with each other, and when that time came for the cold, hard truth, it was based on mutual understanding.
Manny might not be 100% behind it, but I think he understood.
The fact that Gillis said Manny will remain with the origanization, albeit in an unknown capacity at the moment, shows that there are probably no hard feelings.

Manny is a true warrior.
He might not be as good as he was before the injury, but he gave it his all every time he is out there.
I really hope he continues to be part of the organization, because there is so much he can teach the players.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Seems that if Manny goes to LTIR that there's a loophole there for cap circumvention in other cases. I do not for a single solitary second believe that is the case here but it does seem to me that there's room for that. If the doctors can make one call and the GM another, then that is a problem in my opinion.

How is this any different than a guy playing through a groin strain or a back problem? Just because a guy is physically capable of suiting up doesn't mean that he's 100% or that he's then ineligible for IR.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Manny was a top face off man and in general one of the better defensive centers in the league.

Winning face offs and playing a defensive style of hockey can be taught.

Manny's role on the team seems pretty clear for the balance of this season.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
How is this any different than a guy playing through a groin strain or a back problem? Just because a guy is physically capable of suiting up doesn't mean that he's 100% or that he's then ineligible for IR.
I would assume those are calls that a doctor makes. All indications in this case is that this was MG's call.

Again, I'm not questioning the ethics of MG. Not at all. As a matter of fact I have great respect for what he has done (and Manny of course). I'm simply seeing something that appears to be a loophole that could be exploited by others.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
With what I said, i am not sure how i feel about this overall, I thought he was done in a 3rd line capacity, but on the 4th line he won some big faceoffs, and again played well on the pk.

Im guessing alot of that will fall to lapierre now.

Sounds like this was a safety decision though so nothing can be done. Unless they are just spinning it like that.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I would assume those are calls that a doctor makes. All indications in this case is that this was MG's call.

Again, I'm not questioning the ethics of MG. Not at all. As a matter of fact I have great respect for what he has done (and Manny of course). I'm simply seeing something that appears to be a loophole that could be exploited by others.

It was Gillis' call based on what the doctors said. Malhotra would not make it onto IR without the Canucks doctors signing off on the decision and if there's any doubt about any of this the NHL could easily have him examined by a 3rd party.

Given that, I fail to see how a player who is clearly not 100% going on IR is any kind of loophole that's going to be exploited.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
It was Gillis' call based on what the doctors said. Malhotra would not make it onto IR without the Canucks doctors signing off on the decision and if there's any doubt about any of this the NHL could easily have him examined by a 3rd party.

Given that, I fail to see how a player who is clearly not 100% going on IR is any kind of loophole that's going to be exploited.

At this stage I have not heard at all that Doctors have had anything to do with it, To me it is kind of a technicality, Can't see the NHL wanting to punish a team for saying it isn't safe because one of there players can't see. Not in this day and age, Health and Safety would be all over them.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The whole thing is very strange. Not sure how he could be 'healthy' for the last 100 games he's played since the injury but not healthy now.

Obviously the end of Malhotra's career as a Canuck, though. Best wishes to him, has been a rough couple years and not the way his career should have gone.

Since this is about eyes, losing one is just frightening because you are so close being blind. The league will be more accepting of the circumstances than if a guy got a different injury (say a knee). If the guy had a bad knee you'd just have to play through it, you might never be fast but if the worst happens and you bust your other knee at least you can live a better life with 2 busted knees than 2 busted eyes.

When I look at all the ultra long contracts I really wonder what happens when someone does something like bust a knee or a shoulder or a wrist and ruins their game. They can still play a role but will never be a quality top 6 or top 4 again. They can't retire because it's not that bad. It'll kill some franchise for 10 years.

TheDiver*

Never thought about it like that.

Here's Gillis' comments:

“It was the hardest thing I’ve done in this job,†said Gillis. “It was a situation that changed Manny’s life in half a second on an innocent play. Watching what he did to try and recover from that, it was a difficult decision for me to make. It was one that has been thought about for a long time. We came to the conclusion that for his long-term health it was the best thing we could do.â€

Gillis said he was concerned that Malhotra was putting himself in a vulnerable position where he could be seriously injured.

“In today’s game where players are so big and so fast, even an innocent collision could be really damaging if you’re unaware. I wasn’t prepared to live with that any longer.â

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00