Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
****** stat: Canucks have lost every playoff series they've played with Manny in the lineup.

SIGH. :(

A grand total of two?

On the other hand, we went 14-6 with Aaron Rome in the post-season. We better bring him back for dat dere success :sarcasm:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If he's on IR, the team can still accumulate cap savings as they're below the cap right now. LTIR however doesn't let you do that. So if the Canucks need another, say, 2.5M in cap space for a trade then they'll put him on LTIR at the deadline to maximize the space they'd get.

He could have been placed on IR or LTIR just the same - LTIR just lets you exceed the cap by his cap hit.

There is no difference when accrue savings whether the player is on the roster, IR or LTIR - in all circumstances the players full cap still counts against the cap as if the player is on the roster. IR gets you an extra slot. The only functional cap difference between on roster/IR and LTIR (iirc) is that LTIR allows you to exceed the cap by the LTIR amount, however while over you can not accrue cap space.

Since we are under cap (that includes Manny) placing Manny on LTIR only matters if we are bring in a player that takes us over cap and we need to push over cap to make him fit. Cap wise the best thing Gillis could do from an immediate PoV, since we are not over cap, would be to Redden/Gomez him and waive him to the minors the tell him not to report and just go home as that would knock $900K of Manny's contract. However doing that might make it harder to place him on LTIR lateras Gillis would need to recall Manny then LTIR him which is a bit messy and the league might start getting grumpy.

Last edited:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
At this stage I have not heard at all that Doctors have had anything to do with it, To me it is kind of a technicality, Can't see the NHL wanting to punish a team for saying it isn't safe because one of there players can't see. Not in this day and age, Health and Safety would be all over them.

You simply can't get a player on IR without the team's doctors signing off on it. Every time someone goes on IR the club physician has to present a written declaration to the league asserting that they have examined the player and that he is in fact unable to perform his duties. If the league determines that this is not correct both the physicians and the team can face severe discipline.

TheDiver*

****** stat: Canucks have lost every playoff series they've played with Manny in the lineup.

SIGH. :(

Also, the Vancouver Canucks have never won a Stanley Cup with "Vancouver Canucks" as the team's name.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
There is no difference when accrue savings whether the player is on the roster, IR or LTIR - in all circumstances the players full cap still counts against the cap as if the player is on the roster. IR gets you an extra slot. The only functional cap difference between on roster/IR and LTIR (iirc) is that LTIR allows you to exceed the cap by the LTIR amount, however while over you can not accrue cap space.

Since we are under cap (that includes Manny) placing Manny on LTIR only matters if we are bring in a player that takes us over cap and we need to push over cap to make him fit. Cap wise the best thing Gillis could do from an immediate PoV, since we are not over cap, would be to Redden/Gomez him and waive him to the minors the tell him not to report and just go home as that would knock $900K of Manny's contract. However doing that might make it harder to place him on LTIR lateras Gillis would need to recall Manny then LTIR him which is a bit messy and the league might start getting grumpy.

I see. I'd always thought that you couldn't accumulate cap savings as long as you had a player on LTIR in any circumstance. Thanks for clearing that up.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I see. I'd always thought that you couldn't accumulate cap savings as long as you had a player on LTIR in any circumstance. Thanks for clearing that up.

The way it works is that players don't officially put onto LTIR until the team makes a move that would put them over the cap.

CanucksOo

Jul 29, 2006
California
It seems like it was a mutual decision. If Manny really felt he could continue playing, wouldn't he just ask to be traded? And I would imagine Gillis wouldn't really care what the return was.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The way it works is that players don't officially put onto LTIR until the team makes a move that would put them over the cap.

Makes sense. Hence the retroactive thing that always seems to follow, dating back to a few weeks prior or something like that. So effectively no difference right now either way.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This sucks, but it was becoming inescapably clear that Malhotra's done as pretty much everything beyond faceoffs.

Can imagine Manny's not happy, but who would be. Sucks, man. I still have flashbacks of that puck hitting him in the eye. I remember thinking: "There goes our Stanley Cup chance right there" when that happened. We had an elite shutdown centre on the 3rd line to free up Kes, then *smack*. Over.

Hope Manny finds his feet doing whatever he ends up doing, hopefully with the Canucks organization.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
It's sad but let's not kid ourselves of wanting him back in the line-up, he brought nothing besides the occasional faceoff wins. At 2.5 M this is not cheap either.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
It's sad but let's not kid ourselves of wanting him back in the line-up, he brought nothing besides the occasional faceoff wins. At 2.5 M this is not cheap either.

"occasional"

also defence. but yeah, i understand that's a lot harder to see than goals, it's okay

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011

Before the eye injury, he was not only a faceoff winner but a true shutdown forward playing against other teams' top players who was getting Selke consideration. $2.5 million would have been fair if he didn't get injured.

Sad that it came to this, but good on Gillis for giving him every chance to come back.

LolClarkson*

An imminent pick up maybe? Remember Edler suddenly needing back surgery..and Ballard's "capcussion" all timed so well for cap space...

Doesn't bother me. Isn't that MG's forte ? Being a sleaze ?

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
This sucks, but it was becoming inescapably clear that Malhotra's done as pretty much everything beyond faceoffs.

Can imagine Manny's not happy, but who would be. Sucks, man. I still have flashbacks of that puck hitting him in the eye. I remember thinking: "There goes our Stanley Cup chance right there" when that happened. We had an elite shutdown centre on the 3rd line to free up Kes, then *smack*. Over.

Hope Manny finds his feet doing whatever he ends up doing, hopefully with the Canucks organization.

Yep, I don't think I've ever felt so depressed at an injury, such a freak injury and couldn't have come at a worse time with us gearing up for a playoff run.

It was nice that he was even able to come back, but last year (especially with Pahlsson acquired) it was clear he'd lost his role with the team. Game 3 of the Kings series finally made me accept the inevitable ... I mean, here's a defensive zone faceoff and we have Malhotra out against the Kopitar line in a scoreless game, third period. His bread and butter, right? Not only does he lose the draw, but then he had a couple of chances to clear the puck and fails, and 10 seconds later Brown scores the game winner. I remember thinking "ouch, there goes the season" and then "is that the end for Manny?"

At least he gave us this one last good memory, the game winner vs the eventual Stanley Cup champions.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
You guys are missing my meaning. I'm not saying we lost playoff series because Manny was in the lineup. I'm disappointed he couldn't experience any playoff victories while contributing on the ice.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
You guys are missing my meaning. I'm not saying we lost playoff series because Manny was in the lineup. I'm disappointed he couldn't experience any playoff victories while contributing on the ice.
Hater.

:sarcasm:

Sucks his playing days are done but i expect he will have a long career in the front office or behind the bench.

PerDos

Feb 24, 2012
Still remember the 2010 season opener wheen AV sent out the 3 new canucks, Manny, Hamhuis, and Ballard to kill a 4 on 3 in OT. They killed it beautifully which was really encouraging since the PK was non-existent in the previous year's playoff run. Even though they would lose in the SO, that was the moment when I knew that team could be something special. Manny will be missed. So will Ballard too if he gets traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad