Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
It'd be a lie, though. Those poor rookies and depth players aren't millionaires.

LolClarkson*

:( So sad... but I hope they keep him on. Great person. Could be fantastic in helping our young centers with their face-offs.

its unfortunate but sad is the wrong word. Sure he's a great guy but he's made his money.More then allot of us will ever see.

whatever makes the team better is what we do.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Yep, I don't think I've ever felt so depressed at an injury, such a freak injury and couldn't have come at a worse time with us gearing up for a playoff run.

It was nice that he was even able to come back, but last year (especially with Pahlsson acquired) it was clear he'd lost his role with the team. Game 3 of the Kings series finally made me accept the inevitable ... I mean, here's a defensive zone faceoff and we have Malhotra out against the Kopitar line in a scoreless game, third period. His bread and butter, right? Not only does he lose the draw, but then he had a couple of chances to clear the puck and fails, and 10 seconds later Brown scores the game winner. I remember thinking "ouch, there goes the season" and then "is that the end for Manny?"

Funnily enough, Brown was able to score that goal because Pahlsson laid him out along the boards... and forgot to take him again when he got back up.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
You gotta admit, "We are all Millionaires" has a much better ring to it than "We are all Canucks".

How many families who can't afford Canucks tickets do you think they would alienate with that kind of a slogan? :laugh:

Such a shame his eye got wrecked. That clip showed just how effective he was. If that doesn't happen, the Canucks would have steamrolled their way to the Cup.

Our Cup chances took a massive hit after that. Just an unfortunate bounce with so many implications.

its unfortunate but sad is the wrong word. Sure he's a great guy but he's made his money.More then allot of us will ever see.

whatever makes the team better is what we do.

Er, it's sad because he's had his career jeopardized by a freak accident and is half the player he used to be. If the Canucks ever win it all and you genuinely don't feel happiness maybe then you can tell people not to feel sad when that sort of thing happens to someone like him... he's a great guy and teammate and emotions are all part of being a fan. The money is no reason for it not to be an emotional thing for some folks.

That's the lawyer and player agent in him. Those SOBs are trained to lie through their teeth for a living.

Eh, you're never going to win the Cup if you're going to be honest all the time. It's what comes with the job.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I just want to say...

I don't entirely buy the excuse that they're shutting him down because he's at risk. I think the primary reason they're doing it because he isn't effective anymore and they want the capspace and roster spot for a more effective player.

That said, continually playing him and blindly hoping he returns to form is the wrong call, too. Its good he was patient - more patient than any other GM would have have been - but putting blind loyalty of an individual over the needs of the whole organization is too much.

Their was no right choice for Mike Gillis to make, and I think, ultimately, he made the best one he could.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I just want to say...

I don't entirely buy the excuse that they're shutting him down because he's at risk. I think the primary reason they're doing it because he isn't effective anymore and they want the capspace and roster spot for a more effective player.

That said, continually playing him and blindly hoping he returns to form is the wrong call, too. Its good he was patient - more patient than any other GM would have have been - but putting blind loyalty of an individual over the needs of the whole organization is too much.

Their was no right choice for Mike Gillis to make, and I think, ultimately, he made the best one he could.

I can buy the risk argument. If he doesn't have peripheral vision on one side, then I would think that he is taking a big risk by playing. If someone comes in from his bad eye side to hit him, and he doesn't see it coming, he could be badly hurt if he's caught off-guard for the hit.

The timing of this does look suspect, but they could have waived Ebbett or Barker if they felt that Malhotra had recovered enough over the summer/lockout break. Ebbett and Barker were more likely to be claimed due to salary, but Gillis has shown that he would keep the best players around even if it means risking losing assets on waivers.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
they want the capspace and roster spot for a more effective player.

They do gain a roster spot but not cap space by placing Manny on IR. Cap relief only comes when he's on LTIR and we're over the cap.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
I can buy the risk argument. If he doesn't have peripheral vision on one side, then I would think that he is taking a big risk by playing. If someone comes in from his bad eye side to hit him, and he doesn't see it coming, he could be badly hurt if he's caught off-guard for the hit.

The timing of this does look suspect, but they could have waived Ebbett or Barker if they felt that Malhotra had recovered enough over the summer/lockout break. Ebbett and Barker were more likely to be claimed due to salary, but Gillis has shown that he would keep the best players around even if it means risking losing assets on waivers.

It's probably a bit of both: concerns for Manny's well-being, with the talk precipitated by Kes's return.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
People talk about how respected Manny is and then question why he was allowed to play? Maybe all that respect he had blinded everyone to it and they were hoping that he'd turn it around.

The way I look at it, Gillis gave Manny every opportunity he could to prove that the eye wasn't hindering his play.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
One wonders how concerned about Malhotra's safety the Canucks would be if he was playing well.

This is just a really unfortunate situation. Reading between the lines, I think Malhotra is upset with the decision and believes he can still play.

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say when (or if) he speaks to the media about this.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
One wonders how concerned about Malhotra's safety the Canucks would be if he was playing well.

This is just a really unfortunate situation. Reading between the lines, I think Malhotra is upset with the decision and believes he can still play.

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say when (or if) he speaks to the media about this.

If he's playing well, then that means the injury hasn't affected him to the degree that playing could jeopardize his health. It's because he isn't playing well, hasn't
played well for a long time, that attention is drawn to this situation.

Unless you are saying that Gillis is using his own interpretation to benefit the team at Manny's expense?

If Manny is upset, I'm sure the team can waive him and then he can see first hand who would be willing to take a chance on him. My guess is he would clear regardless.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
If he's playing well, then that means the injury hasn't affected him to the degree that playing could jeopardize his health. It's because he isn't playing well, hasn't
played well for a long time, that attention is drawn to this situation.

Unless you are saying that Gillis is using his own interpretation to benefit the team at Manny's expense?

If Manny is upset, I'm sure the team can waive him and then he can see first hand who would be willing to take a chance on him. My guess is he would clear regardless.

The timing just seems a little convenient. How concerned could they be if they let him play 83 games last season?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

You can make the argument that the reason Manny isn't playing well is because of his eye.

west in the east

Sep 19, 2005
Vancouver
Friedman was on 1040 this morning and he said that he spoke with players who say they noticed that manny had issues with his vision. He also spoke with the PA and it does not have an issue. He said Gillis did the right thing and I agree.

I did enjoy listening botch completely change his tune from his conspiracy theories to kiss friedmans ass.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The timing just seems a little convenient. How concerned could they be if they let him play 83 games last season?

Would it have been better if they did not allow him that chance?How do you draw the line? Gillis did say they talked at the end of last season...

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Would it have been better if they did not allow him that chance?How do you draw the line? Gillis did say they talked at the end of last season...

Oh, I don't entirely disagree with you. The timing with Kesler's return is interesting, though.

I'm interested in what they player has to say, although I don't expect he'd say anything to rock the boat.

I have no doubts that they had concerns for Malhotra's health, but I think his performance had to be top of mind as well. As some have suggested, the health concerns and poor play are probably both related to the eye injury.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
This is what makes Gillis a great GM.

Any other GM would not have approached Malhotra with an idea like this. Or even worse, listened to the fans and traded him/buy him out. That would never have happened under Gillis and anyone that thought so clearly has no clue. You don't trade a player as respected in the room as Manny and someone that was extremely active in the community.

That was never going to happen so it meant that Manny was going to be here and possibily get a smaller contract after this one ends. However Gillis is doing what it takes to win and this was the alternative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad