Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The whole thing is very strange. Not sure how he could be 'healthy' for the last 100 games he's played since the injury but not healthy now.

Obviously the end of Malhotra's career as a Canuck, though. Best wishes to him, has been a rough couple years and not the way his career should have gone.

As I said earlier, an eye injury is not an easy fix and can easily become worse over time, even with regular treatment. IMO, that is what has occurred here.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
sad to hear. but we knew he wasnt the same player after the injury. wonder what happens to his cap hit. does he quietly retire and have a office job inside the organization.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Not sure if these have been posted yet, but Ben Kuzma elaborated on the situation on twitter:

Gillis made decision on Malhotra last year but centre convinced GM that he would be better with offseason training.

Gillis on Malhotra move, not risking centre's health: "I took (made) the decision form him."

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I've been watching Malhotra relatively closely, and to me, his game didn't seem "crisp"... missing pucks, passing to open spaces, etc... During face offs and defensive positioning, I think he's been pretty damn good... But for things that involve seeing things fast - like a puck coming in his direction, or determining where to pass a puck too in a split second, etc., I cringed more than a few times... I think he'd be susceptible to an unexpected hit or play, having a pretty significant "blind side"... Just my opinion watching him play...

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Sad to see him gone like this. Makes the loss in 2011 even more horrible because I really wanted to see Manny lift the cup with the Canucks.

Now he'll probably never get the chance, unless he joins the coaching staff or something.

I hope he remains with the organization, if this is the end of his career. :(

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
whose gonna play the pk now? winning faceoffs on the left side though. now that manny isnt able to play anymore. kesler/lappy/hank/ebbett./schroder

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I am confused...what determination by the gm allowed this? Was it mutual? Or what made them decide this course of action? Obviously i know about the eye injury from a few yrs ago.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Instigating w/a Visor has been a penalty for a long time. That's not new.

I see. I'm sure I've Herd them bring up something around the visor and fighting as new with the CBA. It must be a tweak of the rule or now a double major? I am to much of a newby to know though.

John Bender*

I don't really get all this. It seems to me that Gillis just thought that Malhotra was not effective enough anymore and took this as a way to get him out of the lineup but still pay him. He said he had concerns last year with his play in terms of safety - if that's the case why was he ever in the lineup then?

I also don't get why he is not on LTIR. I mean, he's been shut down for the year with no exceptions, right?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don't really get all this. It seems to me that Gillis just thought that Malhotra was no effective enough anymore and took this as a way to get him out of the lineup but still pay him. He said he had concerns last year with his play in terms of safety - if that's the case why was he ever in the lineup then?

I also don't get why he is not on LTIR. I mean, he's been shut down for the year with no exceptions, right?

He can be activated on the LTIR at anytime from the IR if we need the cap space.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I am confused...what determination by the gm allowed this? Was it mutual? Or what made them decide this course of action? Obviously i know about the eye injury from a few yrs ago.

They are saying it is unsafe for him to play, It was MG's decision, Gave him ten games to see if he was "Better" I keep seeing "A risk to his health" But we are not privy to all info like what doctors have said, and what the "Risks" are. But the media are doing a good job at stringing it out threw twitter.

John Bender*

Based on the MG's comments..........Malhotra wanted to keep playing but Dr. Gillis decided it was not safe.

Sounds like cap management to me.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Sad day, always loved Malhotra and am glad he will remain in the organization. He deserves it and it can only be good for the overall character of the team.

John Bender*

Sad day, always loved Malhotra and am glad he will remain in the organization. He deserves it and it can only be good for the overall character of the team.

It will be interesting to see if he tries to find an NHL job next season. Based on his complete lack of any comments, I am wondering if he is not really on side with MG's decision.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Hope Manny can make a full recovery. He's one of those guys who is so respected that you could mistake him for a veteran who has been on the roster for 10 years.

It will be interesting to see if he tries to find an NHL job next season. Based on his complete lack of any comments, I am wondering if he is not really on side with MG's decision.

He most definitely is not on MG's side.

Let's be frank. Is Manny a top 12 forward on this team right now? Yes, he is, but he's probably the 12th ranked forward on this team. When you compare Manny to the 13th forward, he's only slightly better than Ebbett at best. Gillis had to ask himself if risking Manny's long-term health for a marginal upgrade on the last roster spot was a risk worth taking- and he did take that risk, and he gave Manny a shot to prove he's more than a 12th forward. But Manny did not prove that his playing ability was vital enough to the Canucks' success to warrant Gillis risking Manny's long term health.

However, if you're a top 12 forward on a team, you still expect to play regardless of everybody else's concerns about your health. Manny loves hockey and he loves playing on the Canucks, so it's understandable that he'd be upset.

Last edited:

John Bender*

except we're not saving any cap.

..........not yet though right? I mean, if Gillis finds a player he likes, he can flip Malhotra on to LTIR and replace his Cap hit, right? That how it works?

John Bender*

Sounds like Gillis is just being prudent and trying to ice the best team possible.

I really have no issue with that.........but it's how Gillis floats it as being in the best interest of the player and that he has concerns about the players health, etc.

If those were legitimate concerns, how is it that he sat and watched Malhotra play 100 games since his last injury? I honestly think that Gillis just did not like what Malhotra brought to the table anymore. Plain and simple.

I suppose this is the more prudent way of cap management though - also allows Malhotra some dignity.

Spamhuis

Mar 29, 2009
Calgary
Gillis is also trying to prevent malhotra from getting hurt worse than he is. I don't think this has anything to do with saving cap as some are implying. It's likely manny wants to play and gillis doesn't want someone dying on his watch. MG has gone through this himself. Don't forget that( not his eye obviously but trying to recover from a career ending injury

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I really have no issue with that.........but it's how Gillis floats it as being in the best interest of the player and that he has concerns about the players health, etc.

If those were legitimate concerns, how is it that he sat and watched Malhotra play 100 games since his last injury? I honestly think that Gillis just did not like what Malhotra brought to the table anymore. Plain and simple.

I suppose this is the more prudent way of cap management though - also allows Malhotra some dignity.

No, Malhotra was still a very valuable member of the team. In the end I think between his eye, cap hit, Kesler coming back, the emergence of Schroeder he just happened to be the odd man out. He was still playing great defensive hockey and winning faceoffs which we brought him in to do, but he couldn't counter-attack and keep the puck 200 feet from the net as well anymore which is why it seemed like his play diminished so much when in fact, I'd say it only did by a little. He was no Ryan Johnson. I hope he stays with the team though, I really do. He's not a hometown guy, but he's the closest thing.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Couldn't agree with you more. I think this is the driving factor behind his decision, although I don't doubt there's some sincere desire not to see a great guy get injured further as well. But I'm fairly positive this is first and foremost a hockey decision, and a health decision second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad