Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
..........not yet though right? I mean, if Gillis finds a player he likes, he can flip Malhotra on to LTIR and replace his Cap hit, right? That how it works?
It isn't that simple. I imagine the league has to be convinced. He would have to prove to the league that Manny is not capable of playing in the any NHL any longer, and there's a season worth of evidence that suggests otherwise.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Feel really bad for Manny, but this decision is probably best for both sides. Hopefully Manny can stay in the organization somehow.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
We'll know for sure after the season if Malhotra continues his career or if he retires. If he retires then it was a health decision. If he simply moves on to another team, it will look fishy on Gillis' part.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I really have no issue with that.........but it's how Gillis floats it as being in the best interest of the player and that he has concerns about the players health, etc.

If those were legitimate concerns, how is it that he sat and watched Malhotra play 100 games since his last injury? I honestly think that Gillis just did not like what Malhotra brought to the table anymore. Plain and simple.

I suppose this is the more prudent way of cap management though - also allows Malhotra some dignity.

If Malhotra can't see as well as others, he's more vulnerable out there - to himself, and potentially dangerous to others... If he can see very little with that eye, that can be pretty dangerous in a fast and physical game like hockey... I let my aging father drive for a year longer than I probably should have, as well... Was it wrong of me? Yes... but *knock on wood*, no harm... no foul...

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
If those were legitimate concerns, how is it that he sat and watched Malhotra play 100 games since his last injury? I honestly think that Gillis just did not like what Malhotra brought to the table anymore. Plain and simple.

I suppose this is the more prudent way of cap management though - also allows Malhotra some dignity.

Agreed, and Malhotra was aware of this situation. I mean, Gillis' comments pretty much confirm that it was his call and based on performance. It's no coincidence that this is happening as Kesler is coming back and they needed a roster spot.

This is right there with Ballard's concussion.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Gillis is a very shrewd GM, oftentimes more than people realize. Malhotra's eye injury is the perfect excuse because it's both legitimate and public knowledge as well. Gillis saw a chance to kill two birds with one stone (get rid of an underachiever + avoid further possible health risks to said player) so he pulled the trigger.

It's very cold and impersonal in many ways, but a GM's job is to ice the best team possible in order to win, and despite Malhotra's great personality, character doesn't win games on the ice.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
It isn't that simple. I imagine the league has to be convinced. He would have to prove to the league that Manny is not capable of playing in the any NHL any longer, and there's a season worth of evidence that suggests otherwise.

Unless I'm mistaken, there's no difference in the threshold required for IR and LTIR except for the expected length of absence. If the NHL let him on IR I can't think of a single reason why they would get in the way of him being put on LTIR.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
It's a sad day for the team and for the league, to lose a guy like Malhotra. Here's hoping he can stick around and contribute even if he can't play anymore. I think he showed incredible guts and perseverance coming back to play after that injury, he's an inspiration and I hope things go well for him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His eye condition makes him much more suspect to getting a far more serious injury; if a puck deflects into his face he could go blind.

As I said earlier, an eye injury is not an easy fix and can easily become worse over time, even with regular treatment. IMO, that is what has occurred here.

But again, the team has deemed this risk to be 'OK' for the past 100 games.

Now, at the exact moment that Ryan Kesler is set to return and we'd have too many centers ... it's not ok.

It's hard not to be a bit cynical when they spin this as 'looking out for Manny'.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
****** stat: Canucks have lost every playoff series they've played with Manny in the lineup.

SIGH. :(

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
situation doesn't seem very questionable...management thought at the end of last season that malhotra was too vulnerable out on the ice, expressed their concern, and on the basis of good faith (and probably the opportunity provided by the kesler injury) gave manny approx 10 games to see if there was any "discernible change"

there obviously wasnt any change and the canucks weren't going to put a player out there on a nightly basis that was, in gillis' words, "extremely vulnerable" to further injury in comparison to the rest of the players on the ice

2 years out it's hard to imagine the eye injury getting any better, the best case scenario right now for manny is that it doesn't deteriorate

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
This kinda sucks. I was rather hoping the offseason to train would help Malhotra get close to the player he was in his first season here. However it was clear right away he was still just as bad as last season. Very sad way for his career to end, hope he can find a long term role in the Canucks organization.

Still, it at least encourages me that the Canucks recognized his awful play last season, and were proactive in solving it while still showing a huge amount of respect for Manny as an athlete and a human being. Really a first class organization Gillis runs here. I think this will continue to pay huge dividends.

Brenton Williams

Feb 6, 2006
Tough to see this happen but I think it's for the best.

I can't help but feel 'at risk' is code for 'not good enough' -- although I suppose they can go hand in hand.

Hopefully Manny finds an important role outside of playing.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
But again, the team has deemed this risk to be 'OK' for the past 100 games.

Now, at the exact moment that Ryan Kesler is set to return and we'd have too many centers ... it's not ok.

It's hard not to be a bit cynical when they spin this as 'looking out for Manny'.

You're right that cap shenanigans could be a motivating factor, but given that Malhotra's performances seem to get worse as the season wears on you have to wonder if the injury really has caught up to him.

TheDiver*

Lots of respect for Manny. I hope he sticks with the organization long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad