Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Pseudonymous*

It will be switched to LTIR eventually, thats when they'll most likely give them the data

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013
Hope thing's work out so that he will play hockey again. I for one hope he remains within this organization for many years to come. I'd still love to resign him on a new contract(obviously for less). Even if this doesn't become reality, as others have said. Having someone like him in management would do nothing but good for us.

Dado

Are there any CBA implications from having him retire and immediately giving him a well paying coaching or front office job?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
^It's not LTIR, just IR.

Yea Mackenzie just sent out a tweet saying its just IR not LTIR so no extra cap space just the active roster spot https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/302148475716530176

I expect that's only until the Canucks hit the upper limit. If a guy can get on IR then he can get on LTIR as long as he's out for long enough which Malhotra will be.

For instance, Booth isn't on LTIR but he could easily be placed on there if the need arose.

trytobe

Nov 29, 2011
It is of course nothing Malholtra or anyone wishes, no matter what the reason is for this.

But with that said, the team is actually prepared for just this kind of situation. It feels good from the team perspective that it is more like "interesting" than like "We are the Sens".

i actually think the canucks are one of, is not the most, well-prepared teams when it comes to injuries. we've had to deal with ridiculous strings of injuries pretty much every season to the point where, absent Kes and Booth, we've rolled to an 8-2-2 start in a shortened season. it's one area where i really think AV and the coaching staff doesn't get enough credit.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Manny's eye never looked good even after all the surgeries. It really sucks for him. I wouldn't doubt that come summer he'll be hired on as a player liason, similar to the role that Craig Conroy has with the Flames.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I expect that's only until the Canucks hit the upper limit. If a guy can get on IR then he can get on LTIR as long as he's out for long enough which Malhotra will be.

For instance, Booth isn't on LTIR but he could easily be placed on there if the need arose.

Yeah, my guess is that they leave Manny on IR where essentially nothing changes with our cap situation as it's been (other than opening up the roster spot to activate Kesler), and we're slowly accruing a little bit of cap space each day we're under...then at say the deadline, if/when we acquire a player or players that push us up against the upper limit, Manny goes on LTIR and we use that to exceed the cap limit up to that $2.5M if needed.

And i'd wager Gillis will be looking for a LH faceoff guy.

Hopefully Manny is able to continue in some capacity with the team...ideally as something like a 'skills coach' for tutoring in Faceoff skills, potentially with the Farm tearm as well.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
That's a real shame. I still felt that Manny had a place on this team even with Kesler and Booth coming back. He was a good person and his skill at taking face-offs will definitely be missed.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
That's a real shame. I still felt that Manny had a place on this team even with Kesler and Booth coming back. He was a good person and his skill at taking face-offs will definitely be missed.

If we win it all this year, he better be getting a ring and his name on that cup.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Just wasn't the same after that eye incident. :(

Never'll forget his two-goal game against Detroit a couple of years ago when he got first star.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Hopefully Manny is able to continue in some capacity with the team...ideally as something like a 'skills coach' for tutoring in Faceoff skills, potentially with the Farm tearm as well.

I hope so. He brought the other centers up a notch.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Too bad, I think it might be time for him to hang em up. The injury may have healed but his game has gone downhill since. Too bad because he was so solid before the injury. Like others have said I hope he stays with the organization in some capacity. Seems like a really good guy.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I really don't believe this was really some sort of choice for Malhotra to make or a somewhat underhanded thing by the canucks to get Malhotra off the roster in some way. While players can be left on the IR after they are fully healed to clear roster spots or cap, a team can not simply put a guy on the IR "just because". There has to be a valid medical reason for doing so. To do otherwise is to likely sacrifice serious amounts of money and draft picks in cap circumvention fines. Especially given the warning shot the majority of league governors fired with the whole back diving contracts cap recovery thing.

Really, given the severity of his injury it may very well be that body contact etc has started to cause issues.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
That's a shame. His eye injury in 2011 caused a domino effect that caused us issues in the final IMO.

I know it's meaningless to look back, but had we had 4 healthy centers that run in 2011 (Hank, Kes, Manny, Lappy) we still might've had a chance. That's like if the Hawks were missing Bolland, or the Bruins not having Bergeron in their lineup.

Seriously think the players should all wear visors. It's not about toughness anymore - you even have Bieksa being the frontman for the Mind Check initiative. Safety and well-being should come above all else. The culture of hockey needs to change.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
MG on Manny: hardest thing I've done in this job

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
MG on Manny: for long-term health & safety, best thing to do. Was club's decision

MG on Manny: will stay with team. Haven't defined role. Terrific person/spokesperson. Have asked him to stay on. Will sort out particulars

MG on Manny: a lesser person wouldn't have come back from what he's endured

MG on Manny: came to this decision last year, but wanted to give Manny summer to train. Wanted to give him 10 games to see if change

MG on Manny: he understood where I was coming from. And he knew there were times where he was at much higher risk. But's a very proud guy

Update on Maholtra

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
In what world has Ebbett come close to outplaying Schroeder? He hasn't even come close to playing as an NHL'er.

Sucks for Manny. I hope if he's done, the Canucks will make him a part of the organization. It's not fair what happened to him. It would be great to still see him a part of this team.

That was not the point I was making, Any way that,s OT so..

On to Manny any word on a public press release or interview. Or is it just Tweets of a press release. I hate how they twist what is said in tweets. Any help much appreciated

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Update on Maholtra

Thanks for that. Still had hope he was over the worst of it and would be able to cope with it while still playing, but I guess the physical side of the game was getting to be a real danger to his eye long-term.

Nonetheless, I am so ****ing proud of that man for trying to come back from what he went through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad