Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Malhotra on IR lets Canucks keep both Barker and Ebbett with team.

When Booth comes back one of those two needs to be traded or waived - likely waived. Money is on Ebbett - even though he is likely to be picked up. Gillis too high on defensive depth to let Barker get picked up on waivers.

That is what I was alluding to...

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
still need to waive a roster spot for booth but one spot for Kesler to return........damn it just waiver Ebbert now no one will want him

gobi

Feb 9, 2006
Paradise, BC
That's too bad. I thought Manny would have played out his remaining contract. He's not as effective as before but he's not hurting the team either.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Something doesn't quite feel right about this and not sure what it is.

Canucks/Gillis alluding to it being a health issue without actually coming out and saying it's a health issue i.e. 'Manny's health is important to us'

Kesler about to activated, Schroeder playing well.

Manny missing the last game (last minute) due to personal reasons.

Something just seems off. Is it actually an injury issue for Manny? Is it because the Canucks actually just want to shed his cap and semi-bullied him into IR (so he can get paid) but so they lose his cap hit and don't have to put a roster player on waivers or send Schroeder down?

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
This news made my day on so many levels!

Malhotra taking a hockey-ops position within the Canucks can be of far greater importance than his faceoff ability or PK skills. Malhotra is one of those gems you never want to leave your organization. So to instantly give him a role within the franchise shows a touch of class on the Canucks part, and shows everybody that you are a Canuck for life. This move reflects Gillis' movement of wanting to create a culture and it looks like its working. I'm hoping Manny's retirement marks one small chapter of his career.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Bob McKenzie: The bottom line on Manny Malhotra: there are deep concerns his eye injury/vision are not at level to allow him to safely play the game.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

The bottom line on Manny Malhotra: there are deep concerns his eye injury/vision are not at level to allow him to safely play the game.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Malhotra is reportedly not prepared to formally retire at this time but he's been shut down for balance of the season.

Sigh.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Something doesn't quite feel right about this and not sure what it is.

Canucks/Gillis alluding to it being a health issue without actually coming out and saying it's a health issue i.e. 'Manny's health is important to us'

Kesler about to activated, Schroeder playing well.

Manny missing the last game (last minute) due to personal reasons.

Something just seems off. Is it actually an injury issue for Manny? Is it because the Canucks actually just want to shed his cap and semi-bullied him into IR (so he can get paid) but so they lose his cap hit and don't have to put a roster player on waivers or send Schroeder down?

Manny doesn't want to retire. He thinks he might still be able to play with more surgery being done. Canucks not on same page. Have him a choice. Waived or LTIR. He is UFA this summer. If surgery works or if resting helps his eye without surgery then they can resign him this summer. If not, no harm no foul.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
^^^ Or would like to get the cash left on his contract.

Bob McKenzie: The bottom line on Manny Malhotra: there are deep concerns his eye injury/vision are not at level to allow him to safely play the game.

Sounds like a line to put him on IR if ever I saw one, At what point has it looked unsafe?

great1

Nov 13, 2009
Fergus, Ontario
If we win it does he get his name on the cup?

The requirement for getting your name on the cup is 41 regular season games (most likely 24 games this year because of the short season) or a game in the finals. If Vancouver were to win the cup then they could petition the NHL to have Malhotra's name on the Cup.

Stanley Cup rings are a different situation, the owners provide the players and staff with the rings so it would be up to your owner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad