Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Something doesn't quite feel right about this and not sure what it is.

Canucks/Gillis alluding to it being a health issue without actually coming out and saying it's a health issue i.e. 'Manny's health is important to us'

Kesler about to activated, Schroeder playing well.

Manny missing the last game (last minute) due to personal reasons.

Something just seems off. Is it actually an injury issue for Manny? Is it because the Canucks actually just want to shed his cap and semi-bullied him into IR (so he can get paid) but so they lose his cap hit and don't have to put a roster player on waivers or send Schroeder down?

My understanding was that they had 3 options (other than Malhotra staying and playing). I don't think they bullied him, probably sat down and discussed his choices.
- Retiring - He doesn't get paid, but this clears the cap hit for the Canucks since he's under 35. Not sure if this would have came into effect immediately or at the end of the season when he was a UFA anyway.
- Waiving him. Saves no cap space if he's not picked up and at 2.5 mil he wouldn't have been.
- IR - He gets paid, Canucks get cap relief, he retires at the end of the year, everyone is happy.

LuiLui

Feb 13, 2008
Vancouver
Activating Kesler.

Kesler wasn't on LTIR I think so his cap hit was already against the cap. Malhotra clears the roster spot but with the LTIR extra cap space maybe Gillis is looking at adding someone? can easily waive Ebbett if another forward could be added.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If we win it does he get his name on the cup?

Likely. Boston fought to have Savard's name on the cup and I guarantee Vancouver would do the same. Hell, this gives us motivation. Win it for Manny!

Such a shame. I was elated when we signed him but the eye injury completely destroyed his game. Hopefully he retires to focus on his health and we can welcome into the organization as an assistant coach or in some other capacity.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I would suggest you review the information being released - this is to do with his eye injury. It has been deemed that it is no longer safe for him to play.

He had to pass an eye test to play again. Maybe he took another one and failed.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Didn't he get his eyes fixed? Must he retire already? :/

I can speak somewhat intelligently about this as my brother-in-law suffered a devestating eye injury about eight years ago.

It's not an easy fix. My in-law has had to have numerous follow-up operations to drain the eye, to repair things, to maintain his vision, and so on. He also has had to treat it daily and also take mediciations to prevent pressure build-up. This is all for someone who isn't an athletic person at all (certainly not to the level of a professional athlete, like Malhotra).

With my brother-in-law, it took several years before they had to stop with the follow-up surgeries. But even at that point, daily maintenance and care needs to be given, and he still has to see the optometrist on a regular basis to ensure that no further action is required.

So while Malhotra may have had his eye tended to, that is in no way to say that it was "fixed".

VanMelaner14

Tan the Man
Jun 16, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Very unfortunate for Manny. Best wishes to him. Even though he was never the same player after the injury, he was still a fantastic leader and presence on the bench

L4cer8

Mar 27, 2012
Arizona
Kesler wasn't on LTIR I think so his cap hit was already against the cap. Malhotra clears the roster spot but with the LTIR extra cap space maybe Gillis is looking at adding someone? can easily waive Ebbett if another forward could be added.

I'm pretty sure Kes was on LTIR, that's how he was getting paid in the off-season.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
since they told us about Manny on IR, it seems likely Kesler is returning or they could have active Manny on a different day

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
It's not surprising, in fact you could feel something like this coming with him leaving due to "personal" reasons and being a healthy scratch. He's clearly an unselfish player, just look at it in his perspective. He's half the player he once was, and with Schroeder playing the way he did, it wouldn't feel right to bump Schroeder or another young guy off the team just so it just made sense.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Still need that roster spot.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
So if Ebbett out plays Schroeder that means "they" screwed it up? OT sorry.

In what world has Ebbett come close to outplaying Schroeder? He hasn't even come close to playing as an NHL'er.

Sucks for Manny. I hope if he's done, the Canucks will make him a part of the organization. It's not fair what happened to him. It would be great to still see him a part of this team.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
My understanding was that they had 3 options (other than Malhotra staying and playing). I don't think they bullied him, probably sat down and discussed his choices.
- Retiring - He doesn't get paid, but this clears the cap hit for the Canucks since he's under 35. Not sure if this would have came into effect immediately or at the end of the season when he was a UFA anyway.
- Waiving him. Saves no cap space if he's not picked up and at 2.5 mil he wouldn't have been.
- IR - He gets paid, Canucks get cap relief, he retires at the end of the year, everyone is happy.

It makes sense. Malhotra then has the option to sign with another team next year if his surgery is successful and the team wants to take a chance. If he'd retired I don't think he would have been able to come back without clearing waivers (unsure).

Not sure why they didn't just come out and say clearly that it's over concerns over vision and his eye instead of beating round the bush.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I'm pretty sure Kes was on LTIR, that's how he was getting paid in the off-season.

LTIR is a cap space mechanism for when the team hits the upper limit. Since the Canucks haven't hit the upper limit this year Kesler was simply on regular IR for this season.

Haka

Aug 14, 2007
It's really too bad. That 2011 team with Manny shouldering the defensive load on the 3rd line freeing up Kesler was one of the most dominant ever. He was exceptional for us until that freak injury.

Goodluck to him in life beyond hockey, if it ends up that way.

Kip96

Feb 8, 2010
West Coast
This really sucks, he's still great in the faceoffs.

It was noticable when Minny detroyed us last game on the draws when Manny was out

Ebbett shouldn't be playing

Scott Hall

The Bad Guy
Jul 11, 2008
I'm pretty sure the Canucks had to send some evidence to league offices to qualify for LTIR exemption - much like how they handled the Rick Rypien situation and had approval from the NHL to shed his cap hit.

I believe if that's the case, then the Canucks must have sent in his recent eye exams and based on Doctors orders and NHL experts, they would have deemed his vision is currently unsuitable to play in the NHL.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It is of course nothing Malholtra or anyone wishes, no matter what the reason is for this.

But with that said, the team is actually prepared for just this kind of situation. It feels good from the team perspective that it is more like "interesting" than like "We are the Sens".

Pump n Dump

Sep 2, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
Bob McKenzie: The bottom line on Manny Malhotra: there are deep concerns his eye injury/vision are not at level to allow him to safely play the game.

I like that. It doesn't necessarily mean his health is any further impaired than previously (or perhaps only marginally) but it forms the basis for claiming entitlement to place him on LTIR and I would expect that there are probably insurance ramifications as well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad