Confirmed with Link: Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Vanier Park

Jun 8, 2010
Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks announced today that centre Manny Malhotra has been placed on Injured Reserve and will miss the remainder of the 2012.13 NHL season.

“The long term health of Manny Malhotra is of utmost importance to our organization,†said Michael D. Gillis, President and General Manager, Canucks Sports & Entertainment. “Throughout his career Manny has showcased his indispensability through skilled play, being a consummate professional and leader in the room while also continuously giving back to the community. Manny will continue to be a valued member of our organization.â€

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=655708

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Placed on IR as per link in the pre game talk thread :(

If his career's over, isn't it safe to say what he's on IR for? It's kind of cap circumvention if he's not hurt, isn't it?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Huh, didn't expect that. I hope the eye didn't get worse and they're just using this as a 'loophole' to get him paid while not having him on the roster. I really, really hope it's not worse.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
This clears a lot of cap space should it be true. Very interesting.

2.5 million more to the cap would be huge for us. Especially during the deadline if we wanted to make a move.

Manny was a great addition to our team on and off the ice. All the best to him in whatever he pursues next.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Interesting, so it's health related. Maybe the eye is bothering him too much?

Regardless, it's sad. He's still a useful player and the Canucks will miss his faceoff prowess if nothing else. Plus you hate to see this happen to one of the game's good guys.

This opens up a roster spot but doesn't help with accruing cap space for the deadline. It does mean though that the Canucks will be able to exceed the cap by that amount if necessary.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
putting him on IR guarantee one roster spot so maybe Kesler coming back? they need to waive one player now to bring Booth back......look like Schroeder will stick around for the rest of the season :handclap:

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Huh, didn't expect that. I hope the eye didn't get worse and they're just using this as a 'loophole' to get him paid while not having him on the roster. I really, really hope it's not worse.

I hope so. All the best to Manny, and please don't let this be a health problem that's keeping him out...

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I hope he continues to help the young kids with faceoffs, he is a god in that category.

VanEric

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I wonder if this is one of those unspoken things where he does this for the Canucks and they hire him as an assistant coach or something similar after he retires.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
putting him on IR guarantee one roster spot so maybe Kesler coming back? they need to waive one player now to bring Booth back......look like Schroeder will stick around for the rest of the season :handclap:

It'll come down to Schroeder vs Ebbett again. They better not screw it up this time.

Anyways, hopefully Manny just stubbed his toe to get on IR and it's not a serious issue/just taking advantage of a loophole. Hopefully there's an update on this story.

LuiLui

Feb 13, 2008
Vancouver
An imminent pick up maybe? Remember Edler suddenly needing back surgery..and Ballard's "capcussion" all timed so well for cap space...

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
It'll come down to Schroeder vs Ebbett again. They better not screw it up this time.

Anyways, hopefully Manny just stubbed his toe to get on IR and it's not a serious issue/just taking advantage of a loophole. Hopefully there's an update on this story.

Malhotra on IR lets Canucks keep both Barker and Ebbett with team.

When Booth comes back one of those two needs to be traded or waived - likely waived. Money is on Ebbett - even though he is likely to be picked up. Gillis too high on defensive depth to let Barker get picked up on waivers.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
This is sorta weird. The release really didn't clarify anything other than him being placed on IR. Is it eye related or what? Guess it opens up a spot for Kesler's return, but is that the main reason or is Manny really badly hurt? Is he retiring? Either way he was a tank for us when we originally signed him (that Torres/Manny line was one of the best third lines I can remember for the Canucks), would have had a long stay here without that terrible eye injury. Will make a good coach if that's the way it ends up going.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
**** it, bring back the Win It For Manny avatars for the playoffs.
He better get a cup ring if we win it all this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad