Manitoba Moose 2018-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Overall I like the new AHL streaming service. The quality is infinitely better than it was on the games I watched last season where in some arenas you could barely make out the numbers, forget about seeing the puck. The quality for this stream was better than streams from NHL arenas of the Moose and San Jose Barracuda last season.

That said I don't think I will be subscribing, there are only a handful of prospects that I would be watching for, no way near the number as last season. If this service was available last season, I would for sure have subscribed but this year the Moose team doesn't have enough high-end prospects so I don't foresee watching too many games. Maybe that changes if Vesalainen and Lemieux are sent down and Green becomes a regular.

Good on the AHL though for providing a reasonably priced and decent quality product. The CHL should follow suit.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Haven't heard anything about him being hurt so I am assuming a healthy scratch.

With 27 on the roster there will be quite a few of those - but Luke is our RHD hope. Not good if he can't get into the lineup in the A.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Harkins and Suess played really well together. Harkins was a very different player then what I saw last year. He was winning races, maintaining control of the puck, looking very good. Did anyone here anything about his injury, he took a puck right to the face.

Appelton didn't look all that great, really didn't create much of anything out there. Garret might be right in that it was mostly Petan and Roslovic who drove his results.

Spacek had his moments and played relatively well, tends to get a bit too cute at times though.

Niku was good in the aspects most people expect him to be with retrieval, puck rushing and play in the offensive zone. He still needs work on his defensive play, as mentioned he needs to go to the JoMo school on how to play 2 on 1's.

Poolman was relatively solid both ways but tried to do too much with the puck at times.

Mckenzie was in on the forecheck and threw some nice hits and generally had a pretty solid night.

Stanley moved the puck well at times but at other times got caught standing still too much which caused him a lot of issues. He will need a lot of work to be able to handle the speed.

Nogier was ok

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Reichel with his first goal in his first AHL game. Nice deflection.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Harkins and Suess played really well together. Harkins was a very different player then what I saw last year. He was winning races, maintaining control of the puck, looking very good. Did anyone here anything about his injury, he took a puck right to the face.

Appelton didn't look all that great, really didn't create much of anything out there. Garret might be right in that it was mostly Petan and Roslovic who drove his results.

Spacek had his moments and played relatively well, tends to get a bit too cute at times though.

Niku was good in the aspects most people expect him to be with retrieval, puck rushing and play in the offensive zone. He still needs work on his defensive play, as mentioned he needs to go to the JoMo school on how to play 2 on 1's.

Poolman was relatively solid both ways but tried to do too much with the puck at times.

Mckenzie was in on the forecheck and threw some nice hits and generally had a pretty solid night.

Stanley moved the puck well at times but at other times got caught standing still too much which caused him a lot of issues. He will need a lot of work to be able to handle the speed.

Nogier was ok

I hope Appleton picks it up and drives play a little more. Would be nice to have another late round hit there.
Spacek was always guilty of getting to cute in Junior too, hopefully he just starts playing a more basic game. Suess looks like he could be become a player for us though.
I still think people are expecting far to much if they want Niku to be the same type of dman Morrissey is. It's a pipe dream. Morrissey is a 1 in 1000 type of defencemen. Niku just doesn't have that defensive mind, it's not him.
Poolman seems to do that a lot. He just needs to simplify and make the safe play. He's a glass and out type. Nothing more IMO.
Nice to see McKenzie getting in there. Kid is a buzzsaw.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I think the Moose would have benefited from some preseason games, they're completely out of sync.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Looking at the signings, I thought the Moose were going to be strong this year. Wha' hoppen'? Not a very good start.

Well when Comrie is letting in goals like that...
But really even with the signings they've still lost 3 PPG players from last season. That's very difficult to replace.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
But really even with the signings they've still lost 3 PPG players from last season. That's very difficult to replace.

Plus not getting Vesalainen to start who is arguably our best prospect.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Plus not getting Vesalainen to start who is arguably our best prospect.

Can't imagine that the start that they're having will help with convincing Vesalainen to accept an assignment to the Moose.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Petan and ? They only had Rosie for half the season, but OK. Lemieux wasn't a ppg player but, OK close enough.

Maybe they will come on through the season.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can't imagine that the start that they're having will help with convincing Vesalainen to accept an assignment to the Moose.

Hard to say. I think they need to give Appleby a shot next game and see what he's got. Vesalainen so far hasn't looked bad in the NHL but not great either. I still feel a year with the Moose would be great for him to find some offence in the NA style of game.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Petan and ? They only had Rosie for half the season, but OK. Lemieux wasn't a ppg player but, OK close enough.

Maybe they will come on through the season.

Yeah re-checked on Lemieux, thought he was closer. Would like to see the Moose's record with and without Roslovic, because I'm pretty sure they took a significant dip when he wasn't there and that he was in on most if not all of their 20+ game unbeaten streak.
Really the players they got replaced players like Sgarbossa and Robinson, top end players didn't get replaced.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Yeah re-checked on Lemieux, thought he was closer. Would like to see the Moose's record with and without Roslovic, because I'm pretty sure they took a significant dip when he wasn't there and that he was in on most if not all of their 20+ game unbeaten streak.
Really the players they got replaced players like Sgarbossa and Robinson, top end players didn't get replaced.

I've looked at this before. Last season:

1) Games 1-10: 4-4-2
2) Games 11-31: 19-1-1 (Petan, Roslovic, Hutchinson with the Moose the whole time)
3) Games 32-67: 16-15-5 (those three never played all together)

Griffith should be a good replacement, though. Slow start maybe, but he should be very good down the road. He's more than a Sgarbossa/Robinson.

Reactions: Atoyot

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
tenor-8.gif

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Looking at the signings, I thought the Moose were going to be strong this year. Wha' hoppen'? Not a very good start.

Perhaps it was to be expected, having to start the season against a perennial AHL powerhouse like the Wild. :sarcasm: My expectations for our farm team are always low. Apart from one Cup run in the Ice Caps era, when has this team really made much noise? Their whole philosophy is development uber alles, and right now, I think we're back to a low point in our prospect ranks. There's just not much talent down there. Just wait till injuries hit the Jets and what little talent they have starts getting pulled up. And please, can we just move on from Comrie before his teammates start shooting at his head in practice?

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
From @winnipegnews twitter: Winnipegger Peter Stoykewych has been named the franchise's 8th captain. JC Lipon and Cameron Schilling will serve as alternates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad