Manitoba Moose 2018-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Credit to Zinger for supplementing the prospects with some decent AHL vets. I don't expect the Moose to be anyway near as good as the 1st half of last season but there is enough depth atleast on the forward side that prospects can be allowed to ease into their roles. D is sketchy and would like atleast 1 more veteran AHL d-man for some stability and take the pressure off of rookies like Stanley and Green, esp if Niku makes the team/gets called up due to injuries with the big club.

The new players are exciting but from the returning players, the biggest things I am watching out for are:

* Can Spacek start producing more at 5 on 5?
* Big year for Harkins to take the next step
* With Roslovic and Petan most likely graduating to the big club, Appleton is the defacto leader of the forward corps. Can he continue the work from last season and earn a callup?
* Stanley will face a lot of scrutiny, hopefully his game translates to the pros

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Credit to Zinger for supplementing the prospects with some decent AHL vets. I don't expect the Moose to be anyway near as good as the 1st half of last season but there is enough depth atleast on the forward side that prospects can be allowed to ease into their roles. D is sketchy and would like atleast 1 more veteran AHL d-man for some stability and take the pressure off of rookies like Stanley and Green, esp if Niku makes the team/gets called up due to injuries with the big club.

The new players are exciting but from the returning players, the biggest things I am watching out for are:

* Can Spacek start producing more at 5 on 5?
* Big year for Harkins to take the next step
* With Roslovic and Petan most likely graduating to the big club, Appleton is the defacto leader of the forward corps. Can he continue the work from last season and earn a callup?
* Stanley will face a lot of scrutiny, hopefully his game translates to the pros
I also feel like this is a make or break year for Comrie.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I trust you guys all saw this new AHL-Live streaming platform that was launched today.

https://www.watchtheahl.com/#/

$60 USD a season to see all Moose games streamed. That is a 66% decrease from Neulion costs last season for the same package.

Wow... at that price point I think I am in for a streaming package for my AppleTV’s and wireless devices!

That's a great deal, even with the crappy quality of the streams in most of the arenas. The games that I bought on AHL live last season I was paying like $7 a game, this is way better and I think I will be subscribing. I watched 1 Moose game a week until the 2nd half of the season last season, even at that this is a great deal.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Looks like we'll see Comrie between the pipes for at least another year. I hope for everyone's sake he finds more consistency...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
2018-19 depth chart, assuming Griffith plays C

LWCRW
Kristian Vesalainen (unsigned)Seth Griffith (vet)Mason Appleton
Brendan LemieuxMichael SpacekDennis Everberg (vet)
Nic Kerdiles (RFA)C.J. SuessJC Lipon (RFA, vet)
Jansen HarkinsFelix Girard (AHL, vet)Cam Maclise (AHL)
Skyler McKenzieKristian Reichel (AHL)
Joey Ratelle (AHL)Matt Ustaski (AHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
LDRD
Sami NikuPeter Stoykewych (AHL)
Cam Schilling (vet)Nelson Nogier
Logan StanleyLuke Green
Simon BourqueCharles-David Beaudoin (AHL)
Justin Woods (AHL)Jacob Cederholm (AHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
G
Eric Comrie (RFA)
Ken Appleby (AHL)
Mikhail Berdin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm thinking you have it about right.

Maybe

Lemieux-Appleton-Griffith
Kerdiles-Spacek-Veselainen
Harkins-Suess-Everberg
Ratelle-Girard-Lipon
----------------------------
McKenzie-Reichel-Maclise
Ustaski

Schilling-Niku/Poolman
Stanley-Nogier
Stojkewych-Cederholm
---------------------------
Bourque-Beaudoin
Green

Comrie
Brossoit

I think the Jets are going to make a play on Pickard, Hutch, or Hammond, all guys that have to clear waivers.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Surprising Poirier would sign here. Not much space to move up. Maybe hoping for a great year on what should be a good Moose team to get a shot somewhere else?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Took a good step forward last season after having a rough few years due to addiction. Hopefully can keep recovering, still young and has speed to burn.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Took a good step forward last season after having a rough few years due to addiction. Hopefully can keep recovering, still young and has speed to burn.

I wondered if that had happened to him - promising prospect to bust over 1 off-season.

Hope he can straighten himself out. :thumbu:

Reactions: Hobby Bull

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Not only will there be competition for ice time, there will be competition for roster spots. With McGinn (400 games played in pro leagues), I also think that the Jets' AHL affiliate will use all six possible veteran spots for the first time since they returned to Winnipeg.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I was worried how conpecompet this year's roster would be, but these signings seem to show the Moose are committed to continuing their winning ways.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The signings make me worried that Veselsinen is make or break. If he doesn't make it, he takes it to Jokerit. Which would be a shame, because he could really stand to go the Roslovic route, full year of development, playing top line minutes, PP, PK, and then push his way through. My feeling is that it will take him longer if he goes back to Europe, because he is not being coached into the Jets system. Hope that's not the case.

I mean at forward, other than Veselainen, the Jets only really have Appleton, Spacek, Harkins, Suess and Mc Kenzie as developmental players. Lemieux I consider to have one skate in with the Jets this year. Griffith and Lipon are vets, close to NHL calibre, but probably stuck in the A. Everberg, Mc Ginn fur the down the line. Poirier and Kerdiles are projects from other organizations.

Maybe they are just stocking up to trade a forward for a backup goalie.

I liked Poirier's game in our preseason battles with the Flames. His career got derailed off ice, hopefully he can get it back on track here.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

Camp opens. D'Aoust (played in Penticton) and Poirier among the invites. It also looks like the Moose have signed NHL veteran Ryan White, another center in the mix (and also another veteran).

He's signed with the Moose, so he will also be there.

Edit: Wiebe says it's a tryout for White. Conflicting reports.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Camp opens. D'Aoust (played in Penticton) and Poirier among the invites. It also looks like the Moose have signed NHL veteran Ryan White, another center in the mix (and also another veteran).

He's signed with the Moose, so he will also be there.

Edit: Wiebe says it's a tryout for White. Conflicting reports.

The only way I see White making the team is if Griffith (another vet) is kept with the Jets (at Petan's expense)

I thinking the starting Moose lineup looks something like:

Kerdiles-Griffith(V)-Appleton
Harkins-Reichel*-Spacek
Everberg(V)-Suess-McKenzie
McGinn*(V)-Girard*-Lipon(V)
----------------------------------
Ratelle*, Maclise*, Ustaski (last 2 probably AHL bound), with White (V) and Poirier battling to earn a spot

Schilling (V)-Niku
Stanley-Poolman
Stojkewych*(V)-Nogier
----------------------------
Bourque, Green, Cederholm (last 2 ECHL bound likely)

Comrie
?
----------
Berdin

*AHL contracts. Not sure where White fits in. Not sure why we signed McGinn.

Maybe we carry an extra vet. Easy to sit Stojkewych, for Bourque, or Mc Ginn for Poirier to get White in as 4C.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Interesting. If the AHL doesn't need exhibition games at all, then you would think that the NHL could at least cut back a bit. Seems to me that 4-5 games should be enough.

Seems to me that there is a move to integrate the two. With so many games over a short period, lots of split squads. I think almost every AHL player we have on our roster has got a couple of games, minus a few. Vets just want to get through preseason healthy, so a few games is perfect for them, while the fringe players compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->