Manitoba Moose 2018-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm in a right foul mood so here's a quick Moose recap:

Moose crushed the Wolves tonight. Poolman was the best defenseman on the ice in a game that included Brannstrom, Hague, and Niku. Stanley did some old timey hockey stuff that I like and I know others do too, however that didn't include competently playing defense. He thinks the game slowly in his own zone. Harkins had a goal and an assist but will likely never be an NHL regular. He looks good if he's given room. He barely gets enough room to look competent at an AHL level and he would get even less in the NHL. If he can learn how to slow the game around him down a lot then he might be serviceable but I do not see that happening. I left before Comrie's last goal against but he didn't have to make a single difficult save the entire game unless it happened in the last minute. Niku looked fine. Griffith and Shaw have great chemistry. That's all I've got in me right now.

Good news about Poolman. Did you see Dorian?

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
When you consider that the two most recent Moose forward additions to the Jets, Appleton and Lemieux, were both plus players who were above .80 points per game and that level of achievement just makes them eligible to compete for the 4th line on the Jets - there are zero forward prospects currently playing on the Moose.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I think SPacek has an outside chance to make the jump after his ELC in 2020-21.

We will need some cheap contracts at that time and he would have be in his Draft plus 6 year and played 3 years with the moose.

Reactions: Atoyot

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
When you consider that the two most recent Moose forward additions to the Jets, Appleton and Lemieux, were both plus players who were above .80 points per game and that level of achievement just makes them eligible to compete for the 4th line on the Jets - there are zero forward prospects currently playing on the Moose.

The Moose are significantly lower scoring as a whole this season. Hard to say if we have anything there or not. There are some positive performances but time will tell there.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Unfortunately, I have to agree. It's too bad Seuss got hurt so early into the season. I also agree that Spacek might be about the only potential option currently playing on the Moose.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The Moose are playing some good hockey, buoyed by great goaltending.

There's a non-zero chance that both Appleton and Vesalainen find their way into their lineup by the playoffs.

If Ehlers returns and we add a forward at the TDL, Appleton likely joins the Moose.

Jokerit winds up their regular season in one week. What Vesalainen does then is likely dependent on how Jokerit does in the playoffs.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Moose vs Wolves streaming free on The AHL's official facebook page tonight.

Edit: Pretty brutal missed high stick on Spacek on the first shift.

Edit2: Stanley looked brutal on the first goal against. Led the breakout, turned it over and took a slashing penalty, and on the delayed penalty Chicago put it in off the rush.
And Griffin Reinhart is still a slug that can't skate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atoyot and Jimby

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Only started watching a few minutes ago, but Oligny just had a very impressive offensive sequence and was pretty impressive on Wednesday overall.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Spacek's PP goal was from the circle which was the spot he usually played last year and scored at will. This is the first time I have seen him there this year.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Spacek's PP goal was from the circle which was the spot he usually played last year and scored at will. This is the first time I have seen him there this year.

Came in right after his goal, is it kind of the Laine spot? Guy has a cannon from there.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
He is. He is already treated like a star player with Stanley saving him from having to fight. Since Poolman is not a small man maybe there are still concerns from his last concussion?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I thought Erik Brannstrom looked pretty solid for Chicago. The puck followed him around, he has a decent shot from the point, and he seemed like a calming influence on the blue line. I think he could be their version of Morrissey

Reactions: JetsUK

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I thought Erik Brannstrom looked pretty solid for Chicago. The puck followed him around, he has a decent shot from the point, and he seemed like a calming influence on the blue line. I think he could be their version of Morrissey
So Trouba for Brannstrom +?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

He's stood out every time I've seen them play this year. Heady player with skill and a very efficient game.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I mentioned how great Shaw and Griffith's chemistry was on Wednesday and it showed again last night on the game winner. They are so good at finding each other out there. I know there's not exactly room for them here, but I really feel like they can be serviceable NHL players somewhere.

Poolman though was the best player on the ice Wednesday and looked great again last night. It's too bad that he was injured when we were having our injury woes because he could very well have made himself a regular in the line up if he'd gotten the chance there.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Griffith Shaw Dano would be a better 4th line than the Jets had in many of the earlier years.

Maybe even a better 3rd than those early years.

---

Was at the first of back to backs vs Wolves. I thought Stanley looked like a future NHLer. He gets a lot of hate on these boards but let's not forget Big Buff was such a crappy dman for the Jets in early years that he was played as a forward. He worked on his game and got better.

Stanley is only 20 years old and already plays a mature and effective game at the AHL level. On a higher scoring team I bet his stats would appease the stat junkies. I found his skating definciencies are overrated and his hands and vision are underrated.

None of the Moose forwards stood out to me the other night aside from seeing some unexpected skill and hustle from D'Aoust. If he keeps playing like that he'll be in the top 6 soon. Poolman was solid but unspectacular and Niku could have been more dynamic.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Don't know if this has been posted or how accurate it is . . . not sure if these are the same game but both are listed as live events.

Manitoba Moose vs.Toronto Marlies LIVE
From Coca-Cola Coliseum – Toronto, Ont.
Wednesday, Feb 20 10:00 am - 12:30 pm TSN2 (182)

Wednesday, Feb 27 10:00 am - 12:30 pm TSN2 (182)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don't know if this has been posted or how accurate it is . . . not sure if these are the same game but both are listed as live events.

Wednesday, Feb 20 10:00 am - 12:30 pm TSN2 (182)

Wednesday, Feb 27 10:00 am - 12:30 pm TSN2 (182)

The schedule shows the Moose playing in Toronto on both those dates at those times. Why you would schedule two morning games on work days is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia