Manitoba Moose 2018-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
While it's encouraging he is tracking about the same as Sam Morin (another big dmen) as a pro so far. Here is hoping he progresses more then him but he's not really showing amazing growth to date.

I think Morin might have been on the Flyers by now but he has been decimated by injuries. In 2017-18 he played 17 games and he has yet to play this season. They are saying he should be back in February so the entire season won’t be lost but one has to wonder how much this is going to damage his development.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. Mort have you watched him at all this year? He’s not slow. And he’s quicker than last year. Lets quit living two junior years ago.

No, I haven't seen him this year. I've seen reports here and apparently he is still getting walked, though maybe less often.

There are several aspects to 'quickness'. There is reaction time, foot speed, first step acceleration, etc. It is not enough for a player, any player not just Stanley, to be fast 'for his size'. He has to have speed/quickness that keeps up with the other players. He has to have the speed to be able to maintain good gaps. I think he has always had adequate top speed but it takes him a while to get to it. It takes a while to change the direction of that big body too.

Everything I see here, from those who have watched him this year indicates that he still lacks overall quickness, though he is getting better. The NHL game keeps getting faster and emphasizing skill over brawn. A big pylon who occasionally scores is of no use to us. If he can learn to defend against the high speed, high skill forwards who are dominating the NHL, I don't care how he does it. But if he can't do that, I don't care that he is BIG Logan Stanley.

He may never be fast enough, or quick enough if you prefer that word. But if he can learn to anticipate the play and be effective by being in the right place at the right time its all good. I think that is what Chara has managed to do to a large extent.

To date there is nothing in his resume to indicate that he is likely to have a strong NHL career. But he is having a decent AHL rookie season. He is improving. If he can continue to improve he might be good in the future. At some point the improvement will stop. We know that for certain. We don't know when that will be or how good he will become before that happens. But right now he is not leading of the pack of those who will make it.

Reactions: Mbraunm

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I think Morin might have been on the Flyers by now but he has been decimated by injuries. In 2017-18 he played 17 games and he has yet to play this season. They are saying he should be back in February so the entire season won’t be lost but one has to wonder how much this is going to damage his development.

I was just going to post the exact post you just made.

I think Morin/Stanley are very good comparables to each other.

Morin is 1 inch taller.

Morin drafted in 2013 11 th over all. (I laughed when Philly took him at that spot) then we did something similar in moving up to get Stanley @ # 18 in 2016.

Morin having just finished his 3 year Elc and being signed to a new 3 year contract at $700 k per. Is now waiver elligible. I was waiting to see if he made the flyers this year having only played in 3 Nhl games. It will be interesting to see if he clears waivers. ........... Philly will be out of the playoff hunt by Feb and I doubt they send him through waivers when he returns from injury this year ..........with the rosters expanding @ the trade deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon and ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Comrie up to third noe in AHL save percentage. He's also played significantly more games then most of the other goalies in the top 5 to 10. He very well should be in the mix for goalie of the year at this point. No idea what that means for his future here.

His future has to be looking better. He seems to have taken a big step. Whether it is technique, confidence, eliminating nerves or whatever doesn't matter as long as it is sustainable. Hope he can keep it up.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Good point about injuries. I used Morin because they are both not low scoring dmen with foo5 speed issues. Stanley might have slightly steeper development curve but he is tracking similarly. Even if Morin is on the Flyers he's what a 6-7 guy at this point? I just wanted to put some context around Stanley's play, he's not really tracking as anything more then a bottom pairing guy at this point.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Based on my small sample size of viewing Logan was part of the solution not the problem on the Moose.

Good to hear. I still don't care about his scoring. That is important earlier as an indicator of all around skill. At this point I'm concerned with his defensive play. It sounds like that is coming around as there have been a fair number of positive reports here.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His future has to be looking better. He seems to have taken a big step. Whether it is technique, confidence, eliminating nerves or whatever doesn't matter as long as it is sustainable. Hope he can keep it up.

I'm sure he has improved in all areas but it's his mental game that I think has developed the most. I heard that he is better at stating in the moment and not worrying about bad goals/games and other things. He always had the technique.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Good point about injuries. I used Morin because they are both not low scoring dmen with foo5 speed issues. Stanley might have slightly steeper development curve but he is tracking similarly. Even if Morin is on the Flyers he's what a 6-7 guy at this point? I just wanted to put some context around Stanley's play, he's not really tracking as anything more then a bottom pairing guy at this point.

With Logan my stretch goal is that he becomes an above replacement bottom pairing D man. As I have mentioned the reason I am motivated is that I am pretty sure he’s going to be on a Maurice roster no matter what so I really want to limit the damage.

Currently Logan is exceeding the development pace of my rather modest expectations.

Reactions: surixon

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Moose-practice-300x225.jpg

Moose injury news & notes:

Jets may be off but the Moose are not. Eric Comrie's impressive run continues as he was named CCM Player of the Week. Coach Vincent provided health updates on Luke Green, Tucker Poolman (maintenance), Jimmy Oligny and Ryan White.

Following practice we spoke with Seth Griffith, Sami Niku, Eric Comrie, Cameron Schilling and coach Vincent (really insightful if you want an assessment of the Moose season to date).

To read/listen click here.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Moose-practice-300x225.jpg

Moose injury news & notes:

Jets may be off but the Moose are not. Eric Comrie's impressive run continues as he was named CCM Player of the Week. Coach Vincent provided health updates on Luke Green, Tucker Poolman (maintenance), Jimmy Oligny and Ryan White.

Following practice we spoke with Seth Griffith, Sami Niku, Eric Comrie, Cameron Schilling and coach Vincent (really insightful if you want an assessment of the Moose season to date).

To read/listen click here.

I thought Niku sounded very upbeat in his interview. Seems to have the right attitude about wanting to play more games and not needing a break.

Last edited:
Reactions: scelaton

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I thought Niku’s sounded very upbeat in his interview. Seems to have the right attitude about wanting to play more games and not needing a break.
What's not to LIKE?
Niku's use of like (>30 times) in his interview is world class, reminiscent of Scheifele's y'know interview in 2012. Is it possible that he has the same potential? :sarcasm:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

What's not to LIKE?
Niku's use of like (>30 times) in his interview is world class, reminiscent of Scheifele's y'know interview in 2012. Is it possible that he has the same potential? :sarcasm:

At least he doesn't make that annoying slurping sound when he talks. ;)

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
No, I haven't seen him this year. I've seen reports here and apparently he is still getting walked, though maybe less often.

There are several aspects to 'quickness'. There is reaction time, foot speed, first step acceleration, etc. It is not enough for a player, any player not just Stanley, to be fast 'for his size'. He has to have speed/quickness that keeps up with the other players. He has to have the speed to be able to maintain good gaps. I think he has always had adequate top speed but it takes him a while to get to it. It takes a while to change the direction of that big body too.

Everything I see here, from those who have watched him this year indicates that he still lacks overall quickness, though he is getting better. The NHL game keeps getting faster and emphasizing skill over brawn. A big pylon who occasionally scores is of no use to us. If he can learn to defend against the high speed, high skill forwards who are dominating the NHL, I don't care how he does it. But if he can't do that, I don't care that he is BIG Logan Stanley.

He may never be fast enough, or quick enough if you prefer that word. But if he can learn to anticipate the play and be effective by being in the right place at the right time its all good. I think that is what Chara has managed to do to a large extent.

To date there is nothing in his resume to indicate that he is likely to have a strong NHL career. But he is having a decent AHL rookie season. He is improving. If he can continue to improve he might be good in the future. At some point the improvement will stop. We know that for certain. We don't know when that will be or how good he will become before that happens. But right now he is not leading of the pack of those who will make it.
You live in Winnipeg and have chosen not to see him, games are readily available to watch besides in person.

You do want to post about how you believe he is and will be though and take other's words as inherently accurate. I would strongly suggest the least you do is listen to the spot Mitch Peacock had on 1290 this morning. You know some balance from someone actually very familiar with the player.

Reactions: dabizz

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You live in Winnipeg and have chosen not to see him, games are readily available to watch besides in person.

You do want to post about how you believe he is and will be though and take other's words as inherently accurate. I would strongly suggest the least you do is listen to the spot Mitch Peacock had on 1290 this morning. You know some balance from someone actually very familiar with the player.

And someone actually very familiar with a True North pay check. I'll look for balance elsewhere, thank you.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Do you have a link to that interview I am out of country. I always enjoy listening to Mitch Peacock interviews.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Who says I live in Wpg?

What I said in the post you quoted was balanced, IMO. Balance is exactly what I am trying to bring to the discussion.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As you wish, if you think the bias from many posters here is balance well you are entirely entitled to believe that. The track records speak clearly.

A spokesperson for the team will always skew toward the positive. I've been here long enough to know which posters provide a knowledgeable, balanced perspective. That's one reason why I read this board. But I also enjoy a good unbalanced rant. It's fun to blow off steam. I've been known to do it myself on occasion. :laugh:

Reactions: FonRiesen

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Thing I just heard on 1290:

Comrie has now faced 11 consecutive games with 30+ shots. It's 1-1 in overtime right now.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Looks like Maurice might not have been completely wrong to give Lemieux a go...

upload_2019-1-26_8-51-27.png

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Looks like Maurice might not have been completely wrong to give Lemieux a go...

View attachment 179453

As even the developer of that model would tell you:
1) It's descriptive, not predictive (it uses on-ice GF/60 RAPM without any sh% regression as a large source of offense)
2) It's not relative to ice time (Ex: Petan has a higher GAR/60 than Lemieux)
3) RAPM would be the model you would use for that type of analysis to test your hypothesis.

RAPM:
Screen-Shot-2019-01-26-at-12-43-44-PM.png

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
As even the developer of that model would tell you:
1) It's descriptive, not predictive (it uses on-ice GF/60 RAPM without any sh% regression as a large source of offense)
2) It's not relative to ice time (Ex: Petan has a higher GAR/60 than Lemieux)
3) RAPM would be the model you would use for that type of analysis to test your hypothesis.

RAPM:
Screen-Shot-2019-01-26-at-12-43-44-PM.png
if only tanev was as good as petan.never mind roslovic or Lemieux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad