Manitoba Moose 2018-19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Maybe even a better 3rd than those early years.

---

Was at the first of back to backs vs Wolves. I thought Stanley looked like a future NHLer. He gets a lot of hate on these boards but let's not forget Big Buff was such a crappy dman for the Jets in early years that he was played as a forward. He worked on his game and got better.

Stanley is only 20 years old and already plays a mature and effective game at the AHL level. On a higher scoring team I bet his stats would appease the stat junkies. I found his skating definciencies are overrated and his hands and vision are underrated.

None of the Moose forwards stood out to me the other night aside from seeing some unexpected skill and hustle from D'Aoust. If he keeps playing like that he'll be in the top 6 soon. Poolman was solid but unspectacular and Niku could have been more dynamic.

Byfuglien was never a crappy defender.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Quick Moose playoff push update:

Moose are 4 points out with 2 games in hand on Rockford, who are holding the final spot.
However, there are two teams between the Moose and Rockford. Milwaukee, who the Moose are 1 point behind with 1 game in hand and Texas, who the Moose are 3 points behind with 0 games in hand.

Next two games are going to be huge and very difficult. Back to back games Friday and Saturday against Belleville, who are 11-0-4 in their past 15. They also just acquired Erik Brannstrom and just sent down Drake Batherson and Logan Brown. Though as it stands they only have 12 forwards on their roster so there could be a call-up coming soon.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Massive win. Doesn't break Belleville's streak but that's okay. We really needed that 2 points.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Byfuglien was never a crappy defender.

Based on numbers? Or based on the horrendous pinches and rushes he used to make that cost the team in key moments. He was moved to forward for a reason, and it wasn't because the team was lacking in forwards. The Jets brass were happier to have Mark Stuart on D back then. That says a lot. Thankfully Buff figured it out pretty fast and it's just another thing I love about him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Based on numbers? Or based on the horrendous pinches and rushes he used to make that cost the team in key moments. He was moved to forward for a reason, and it wasn't because the team was lacking in forwards. The Jets brass were happier to have Mark Stuart on D back then. That says a lot. Thankfully Buff figured it out pretty fast and it's just another thing I love about him.

You are right when you say wanting Mark Stuart on D more than Even the worst version of Buff says allot. Could explain why Noel couldn’t even hold on to a coaching job in the WHL after he left here. Dude was so over his head as the head coach of the Jets.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
4-0 loss yesterday. Two late, one EN. If someone wants to add the highlights, Stanley had a rough go, and Berdin showed a lot of athletic ability out there.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

If his pinches cause shots and goals against, then it is included in the numbers.

He was moved to forward out of desperation and people being slow to the evolution of the modern defense man.

Buff was an all star defense man then and a meh 3rd line forward. Whether by Corsi, xGoals, or goals, Byfuglien was far worse when he was at forward. That does say a lot, for sure. It says that even the Jets can make dumb evaluations and decisions.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
@ICdave Any word on injured players returning anytime soon? Green, Kerdiles, Suess, and Poirier seem to have been out forever.

Reactions: ICdave

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
@ICdave Any word on injured players returning anytime soon? Green, Kerdiles, Suess, and Poirier seem to have been out forever.

Green's dealing with a concussion but I haven't gotten an update recently.
Kerdiles & Suess I'd put in the done for the season category. Team hasn't made it official.
And as indicated above Poirier drew back into the lineup after recovering from a broken leg.

I'll get an official update tomorrow.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Moose Report:

Injury update: Michael Spacek, Luke Green, Peter Stoykewych and Skyler McKenzie

Player audio: Mikhail Berdn (he's a beauty...give it a listen) & Nelson Nogier.

Coach Vincent scrum on the road trip, home stand, injury news and more.

To read/listen click here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad