Managerial Thread Part V - Tottenham in Tatters

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I doubt many would have done much better with that Dutch squad. Van Dijk and Beek in top form and it would have been quite different I guess.

Not that I think there is much to suggest de Boer is a fantastic coach. Then again most fantastic coaches do not want to coach national teams.
Yea, I don't think he's a good manager but like I pointed out during the game their topping an awful group seems to have inflated expectations for what isn't a strong side.

Reactions: Havre

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

I do think they could have done much better. Pretty mediocre and doesn't really fit the "free-flowing, attacking, entertaining football" that Levy wanted to be the clubs identity. Then there's the whole Mendes thing.

But I will support him 100%. If it turns out poorly it's Levy's/Paratici's fault.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wolves were at their best with Jota on one side, Traore on the other and Jimenez in the middle. You got Son who's better than Jota, Kane better than Jimenez but Bergwijn or Moura aren't close to Traore. So going forward Spurs should be fine but that hasn't really been their issue and I didn't pay close enough attention to watch how well Wolves defended.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Traore was excellent for a time I agree.

The squad should fit Nuno decently. I guess å player like Lo Celso might suffer the most. Suddenly Spurs got Højbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Skipp for two CM positions (hopefully Sissoko will be sold). I love Lo Celso, but I don't think his best position is as a CM in a flat two.

Doherty and Reguilon are good fits. Even if I'm far from convinced we will now suddenly see the old Doherty.

CDs will be the big issue. And we need Bergwijn to step up (I think that is possible).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Traore was excellent for a time I agree.

The squad should fit Nuno decently. I guess å player like Lo Celso might suffer the most. Suddenly Spurs got Højbjerg, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Skipp for two CM positions (hopefully Sissoko will be sold). I love Lo Celso, but I don't think his best position is as a CM in a flat two.

Doherty and Reguilon are good fits. Even if I'm far from convinced we will now suddenly see the old Doherty.

CDs will be the big issue. And we need Bergwijn to step up (I think that is possible).
Why would GLC suffer the most? His best position is CAM. though.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Why would GLC suffer the most? His best position is CAM. though.

That is why. Højbjerg and Skipp naturally play in a flat 2. Personally I think Ndombele played his best matches last season as a CM rather than as a CAM. Lo Celso has been inconsistent. 1.5 years ago right before Covid he was excellent as a CM. Since he has struggled playing as a 6. Might be partly fitness related. Not sure. Never really got going enough last season to ever be fit enough to play as a 6. He looked sluggish. A bit like Kane does in the Euros.

Don't think he can play as a wide man in Nunos formation.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah he’s not a wide man at all. Maybe he goes to cam and Ndombele to cm. although him being a bench player for club team might be better

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah he’s not a wide man at all. Maybe he goes to cam and Ndombele to cm. although him being a bench player for club team might be better

Not that I know everything about Nuno, but I don't think I can remember him playing a CAM?

Wingbacks and wingers like Jota and Traore. 3 CDs and two 6s like Neves and Moutinho.

He might change of course. Alli is another player who doesn't really fit - even if he played his best football in 3-4-3 as a kind of "winger". But Pochettino had Eriksen and Alli playing behind/around Kane. Nuno seems to prefer more naturally wide players.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I think Lo Celso can play the Moutinho role. Moutinho wasn't technically a CAM but he played high enough up to where Lo Celso wouldn't have to drop too far to get possession. Moutinho has better vision so Lo Celso will need to improve on that and his passing to compare. Hojbjerg will play the Neves role. That leaves Ndombele as an expensive backup, you could play him in the Moutinho role then Lo Celso is the expensive backup.

As for selling players I don't think Sissosko is worth it as they won't get much and he can cover several positions so best keep for depth. Sell Winks is the best idea. Younger and English so should get much more money for him and he doesn't have a spot or role. I would keep to January because I thought Skipp was out awhile with injury? Need to sell Aurier and one of Dier/Sanchez.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That is where Lo Celso would have to play unless Nuno changes his formation. Not necessarily a big problem, but not ideal.

Spurs got so many foreigners. And who knows if Winks finds his feet again. Sissoko got to go. Doesn't fit Nuno either. Sissoko as a 6 just doesn't work these days. So absurdly poor on the ball under pressure playing a bit deeper.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
As a rival fan, I'm happy to see Nuno go to Spurs. Not a terrible manager but I don't see him elevating the club to contention.

Also just really happy that Potter is still in Brighton, I didn't think he would be leaving this summer but I got a little nervous at points.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Pathetic, but now that he is hired I won't hold me not wanting him against him.

Hopefully he has learned something from what happened at Wolverhampton. And even if the Spurs squad isn't exactly brilliant it still has some untapped potential. You never know with new managers, but if he can get some of Reguilon, Doherty, Winks, Bergwijn etc. going then Spurs should have an outside shot at top 4 again.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Levy seems convinced that Nuno is the attacking, entertaining manager he has been looking for. I'll believe it when I see it.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Pathetic, but now that he is hired I won't hold me not wanting him against him.

Hopefully he has learned something from what happened at Wolverhampton. And even if the Spurs squad isn't exactly brilliant it still has some untapped potential. You never know with new managers, but if he can get some of Reguilon, Doherty, Winks, Bergwijn etc. going then Spurs should have an outside shot at top 4 again.

Will Ryan Sessegnon stay at Spurs this season or will he be loaned out again? Could he take a step to the next level with Nuno?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Pochettino himself said he was done at Spurs at the time. Really has nothing to do with it. Yes. Spurs were very good under Pochettino, but not for the last 18 months or so. He would have been gone much earlier if Spurs hadn't stumbled to the CL final. I love Pochettino, but this idea that he was the right man at the time he got fired is close to absurd for me. Just look at 2-3 games and a handful of the press conferences in the months before he got sacked. Just tragic.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Will Ryan Sessegnon stay at Spurs this season or will he be loaned out again? Could he take a step to the next level with Nuno?

Good question. Personally I think he is extremely overrated, but he has got all the physical tools and should fit perfectly as a wing back under Nuno. And with Reguilon being a complete disaster in the second half of the season last year who knows. Would be a pleasant surprise if Sessegnon proved me wrong.

Reactions: luiginb

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

I do think they could have done much better. Pretty mediocre and doesn't really fit the "free-flowing, attacking, entertaining football" that Levy wanted to be the clubs identity. Then there's the whole Mendes thing.

But I will support him 100%. If it turns out poorly it's Levy's/Paratici's fault.

They are hoping for the Holy Spirit to turn the team around.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m sorry but wouldn’t Rafa to Tottenham and Nuno to Everton have made more sense? For everyone.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
My guess is that Spurs were never interested in Benitez due to his age. Always been Levy´s dream to find a youngish manager who could lead the team for 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00