Managerial Thread Part V - Tottenham in Tatters

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Silly? That is being kind.

Spurs "almost" hire two managers (Pochettino or Conte). Then when things goes belly up with Conte they hire a DoF who will now be in charge of finding a manager. You really couldn't make it up.

Fonseca maybe? Any manager would do at this point.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Silly? That is being kind.

Spurs "almost" hire two managers (Pochettino or Conte). Then when things goes belly up with Conte they hire a DoF who will now be in charge of finding a manager. You really couldn't make it up.

Fonseca maybe? Any manager would do at this point.

I liked Fonseca here in Rome and I am not a Roma fan, to me he could be a good option once Pochettino and Conte are gone.

Reactions: AB13

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The Spurs are a mess, but I don't think missing on Conte and Pochettino is the end of the world given the context of the club. I don't understand why either of their names seriously circulated in the first place. With Poch, been there, done that. Best for both parties I think that that relationship stays ended. With Conte...unless the Spurs were prepared to make a huge investment on some serious transfer additions, on top of retaining Kane (or paying a big price to replace what he brings), that was going to be a mess. The Spurs need a lot of help to secure top four next season; and I'm pretty certain that if the Spurs didn't finish in the top four that Conte would have had no compunction about bailing out a year in and taking another job.

Conte just isn't the guy you bring in unless you're prepared to spend basically whatever he wants to fill his vision. I don't think Conte has interest in a multi-year rebuilding project, which is what I think Tottenham needs given what they seem willing to spend.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I agree with that Avs44. Personally I don't want Pochettino back this quickly and even if I still want Conte there is clearly a possibility if he was hired that it would all blow up as Spurs can't spend as he wants to. That isn't necessarily the big issue here - the issue is the moment is the amateur hour we are seeing trying to hire any manager. How many more should turn Spurs down more or less publicly before one gets hired? At one point, as others have mentioned, you will start to miss out on candidates just because you have #*#&#÷& around so much.

Always a bit random who succeeds when it comes to managers. Look at Moyes. Or Dean Smith for that matter. Hardly a sexy name, but Villa are one of the best coached teams in the PL in my opinion.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
That’s a good shout but they gotta be patient. It’s a new league for him, and they just played a season plus under Mourinho so it’ll take some time to adapt. They can’t panic if you bring him in and it’s not immediate world beaters.

Reactions: Creed Bratton

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So predictable. Don't know him much so haven't got much of an opinion really.

For all those that think Conte would leave after a couple of seasons - Fonseca generally seems to last about 1 :laugh:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
When Van Gaal turned us down we got Poch.

Hoping for something similar now after Conte turned us down.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Conte was Pochettino after he turned us down :laugh:

I have always said it is a bit random who succeeds so that hasn't changed. Like players some managers get all the hype, but the difference in quality isn't necessarily that big. And it is about fit as well. Pochettino's CV wasn't all that impressive before Spurs. Fonseca has certainly done more than Pochettino had at that time. Even Redknapp who had been a manager for ages did a lot better at Spurs than what you would have expected.

Even so. It clearly is a bit too predicable that you hire someone from Italy as a DoF and then 17 hours later you are linked to a manager that just lost his job in Italy. Clearly you are more going after who is available (for free) rather than going hard for the one you might think is the best alternative. People like Potter (who I guess an Italian would know less about) and ten Hag would cost you something. Then again they might have both said no - and Fonseca might also be the better alternative. I wouldn't know. Whoever we end up with I'll judge him based on what he does for Spurs of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad