Managerial Thread Part V - Tottenham in Tatters

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
To me there is very little that suggest so, but from the outside he looks like a better manager than Nuno.

I haven't got much of a problem with Spurs not hiring Fonseca though. They might be wrong in the evaluation they have done of him, but if they weren't convinced after talking to him then fine (even if you can only really know so much (or little) about how good someone is as a manager by talking to them about a job).

And if for some reason they were wrong about Nuno early on and have now decided he is the one after all - they might be right. Not unusual for us men to end up with exactly that kind of girl - who after having thought about some more might find you acceptable after all.

I think Fonseca was the easy way out and I think Nuno is the same. I honestly cannot for the life of me believe that Nuno is the best Spurs could have gotten. Then again I also thought Dier was going to be a world class DM - so there is this 0.1% chance that I'm wrong again.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
No exactly. Seems unlikely to me that people like Galtier and Blanc wouldn't be better alternatives than Nuno. Of course both Galtier and Blanc might have turned down Spurs, but I find that unlikely (not unlikely that they would turn down Spurs - that could happen - but that they have been asked).

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No exactly. Seems unlikely to me that people like Galtier and Blanc wouldn't be better alternatives than Nuno. Of course both Galtier and Blanc might have turned down Spurs, but I find that unlikely (not unlikely that they wouldn't turn down Spurs - that could happen - but that they have been asked).
I don't think either have been asked and I really think both would be MUCH better options than Nuno both in terms of results and positive football.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
My biggest issue with Nuno is the whole Mendes thing.

Semi-fun fact: Mendes owned nightclubs/bars in the 90's, and met Nuno in one of his bars. Nuno would become Mendes first ever footballing client.

Haven't really got much to lose though. Apart from Højbjerg it has been years since we brought in some good value players.

Imagine the odd Neto coming through the door instead of guys like Doherty etc. And even the players I rate like Ndombele, Lo Celso, Bergwijn etc. aren't exactly good value (so far at least).

Not that I don't see your point of course.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, Woy is cultured enough for London. We all know that. Speaks 7 languages. Spent time in Switzerland. Loves himself some tapas. Would look great with a statue of himself outside of that new monstrosity stadium.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure if I see Southgate as worse than Nuno. I would say they are more or less on par.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The longer it goes on without them hiring someone else, the more this eventuality becomes certain.
I mean if they weren’t only motivated on trying to save face, why wouldn’t you wait until the end of the Euros at this point

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sadly true. I get why you check out Conte and Pochettino, but when that doesn't work don't just go for the most recent "sacked" manager from the PL with Mendes connections. Pay Brighton or Ajax. If you can't afford that why the $&$&=& did you even sack Mourinho in the first place?

Reactions: Gecklund

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't like the idea of Nuno but it's much preferred over Southgate.

Not a fan of Southgate at all, but I can't help thinking he gets a bit more flak just because he looks like Matt Hancock and lacks any sort of charisma.

Not sure if Southgate is much in the running anyway. Even though it is a bit difficult to tell which way they will go if Nuno doesn't sign.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My biggest issue with Nuno is the whole Mendes thing.

Completely agree. I don’t think it’s a bad appointment if his agent isn’t making the sporting decisions for the club. If he’s only there to coach the team, he probably has earned a promotion to a better club than Wolves.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Let's not exaggerate the Mendes influence. Spurs is very different from Wolverhampton. I don't question Paratici being the man with the last word.

It's not good if you get too close to one agent of course - if it means you are then losing out on others, but there are worse things for a club than having a solid relationship with Mendes.

In any case at Spurs there are all ready to many foreign players in the squad so only so many Portuguese you can bring in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let's not exaggerate the Mendes influence. Spurs is very different from Wolverhampton. I don't question Paratici being the man with the last word.

It's not good if you get too close to one agent of course - if it means you are then losing out on others, but there are worse things for a club than having a solid relationship with Mendes.

In any case at Spurs there are all ready to many foreign players in the squad so only so many Portuguese you can bring in.

I wasn’t suggesting that Mendes would be the sporting director at Spurs, but he absolutely was at Wolves.

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad