Managerial Thread Part V - Tottenham in Tatters

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
gattuso is exactly what the spurs need. who will dare to play bad when they have this psychopat as their coach?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
E4bUOgVWYAg7yza

Reactions: Jack Straw

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s such a downgrade for him. He should be the Spurs manager. He’ll keep them mid-table or higher, and they’ll play better football than under Hodgson.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
So far out of the eliminated teams from Euros only Macedonia is making a change as Angelovski stepped down (he had some issues with the FA pre-tournament and almost left a few months before); Despite their disaster of a tournament, Gunes will stay with Turkey; Cherchesov (Russia) is still up in the air, the FA backed him in the immediate aftermath of the Denmark loss but now rumors swirling he will get the sack; Sousa (Poland) will stay based on statement from their FA; don't know what the status of Tarkovic (Slovakia) is; the other eliminated teams have no reason to sack the coach unless they leave themselves (Scotland, Finland & Hungary)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Stevie G becoming the bookmaker favourite for the Spursjob. All a bit slippery slope from here....

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Stevie G becoming the bookmaker favourite for the Spursjob. All a bit slippery slope from here....
I don’t see Gerrard at a London club for some reason. Think he would have been a good fit for the Wolverhampton job but not Portuguese enough. Gerrard can do what Rodgers did at Celtic though and pick his spot because he essentially has a lifetime deal at Rangers now

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don’t see Gerrard at a London club for some reason. Think he would have been a good fit for the Wolverhampton job but not Portuguese enough. Gerrard can do what Rodgers did at Celtic though and pick his spot because he essentially has a lifetime deal at Rangers now

Would be absurd for Spurs to hire Gerrard. If he did reasonable well for 2 years he would just move to Anfield. If he doesn´t do well then Spurs lose as well. So classic lose lose situation.

See no reason for Gerrard to move anywhere yet. Obviously he should take the Spursjob if offered, but I highly doubt that will happen. Not a bad job what he got - and if he keeps on winning then he will manage Liverpool in a couple of years. Managing Liverpool is a lot more like managing Rangers than Wolverhampton in my opinion. Both in terms of pressure and how teams play you. In most games you are expected to beat teams parking the bus. Wolverhampton is different.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would be absurd for Spurs to hire Gerrard. If he did reasonable well for 2 years he would just move to Anfield. If he doesn´t do well then Spurs lose as well. So classic lose lose situation.

See no reason for Gerrard to move anywhere yet. Obviously he should take the Spursjob if offered, but I highly doubt that will happen. Not a bad job what he got - and if he keeps on winning then he will manage Liverpool in a couple of years. Managing Liverpool is a lot more like managing Rangers than Wolverhampton in my opinion. Both in terms of pressure and how teams play you. In most games you are expected to beat teams parking the bus. Wolverhampton is different.
I wouldn’t want Gerrard to jump straight to the LFC job either. Saw what happened to Lampard at Chelsea. Would rather Gerrard cut his teeth mid table and then make sure it’s the right hire. Klopp will be there at least another 2-3 years so there isn’t really a rush there either. Gerrard should stay at Rangers, see if he can get some Champions League experience, and then go for a job in the PL, but again He can pick his spot, no need to go to a mess like the Everton (lol)/Palace/Tottenham openings just because.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well. All reports suggests Levy does not want Nuno. I don't think there is any doubt if Levy wanted Nuno he would have been hired already.

Might obviously end up with him anyway unfortunately.

Right now top 5 among the bookmakers are

Nuno
Potter
Stevie G
Martinez
Klinsmann

Boy is that depressing. I would be more than happy with Potter, but the 4 others.....

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It is a bit funny that indications are that Levy and Paratici do not agree on what kind of manager Spurs should be looking at. Not sure if I believe it though. Seems a bit too stupid, but you never know with Spurs these days.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It seems like Nuno is the man for Spurs. Really only got two words to describe that; cowardly and pathetic.

Not that I know he will fail. Far from it. I think it is extremely difficult to say who will succeed at different clubs. But I am a bit shocked by how little we clearly know about managers around Europe (and the world for that matter). If Spurs wanted Nuno he would have been hired weeks, if not months, ago. Fair enough that you can't attract your top targets, but if you are down to 8th choice - then why not go for the next Pochettino, next Wenger etc? Why default to first potentially recycling the most recent Serie A coach or in the end PL coach? To me that is just the "safe" choice. It's like all these middle management hirings where they guy with 19 years of experience (documentation of being average) gets hired over someone with potential. Hiring potential is more risky of course, but average gets Spurs nowhere.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong - and that Nuno proves to be better as he gets better players to work with.

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad