Managerial merry go round part II

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Despite Piers Morgan being a complete bellend, he's dead on that Arsene Wenger has been rewarded for 13 and 20 years of PL and CL failure, respectively. No supposed "big club" (which Arsenal claim they are) would do this. The FA Cups are great but they're not what makes the football world turn.

End of the day though, Arsenal have become a Cup team. No denying it, and me thinking we might have a chance at top 4 would just end in absolute frustration when we finish 6th or 7th.

Europa League or bust!

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Despite Piers Morgan being a complete bellend, he's dead on that Arsene Wenger has been rewarded for 13 and 20 years of PL and CL failure, respectively. No supposed "big club" (which Arsenal claim they are) would do this. The FA Cups are great but they're not what makes the football world turn.

End of the day though, Arsenal have become a Cup team. No denying it, and me thinking we might have a chance at top 4 would just end in absolute frustration when we finish 6th or 7th.

Europa League or bust!

Yes, but Piers Morgan being upset is very good.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
PL and CL failure? There are other powerful clubs in the World trying to win as well. You can do well without winning.

I´m sure Arsenal will improve again. Could very well happen under Wenger.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
PL and CL failure? There are other powerful clubs in the World trying to win as well. You can do well without winning.

I´m sure Arsenal will improve again. Could very well happen under Wenger.

When you're one of the highest revenue generators and have the most expensive tickets in the world, you should be more successful than not winning the title since 04 and never winning the Champions League. I'm not asking for a dynasty here. But the amount of bottling this club has done under Wenger has been extraordinary and should not have been rewarded with a contract likely in the neighbourhood of 10m per season. I look forward to the club crying poor over wages in the coming weeks.

And if this supposed power struggle between Wenger and Gazidis was true, Wenger won. Which means he has autonomous power. He calls his own shots. Kroenke just wants revenue, not trophies if costs money to sign the players that will lead us there.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

Europa League or bust!

People have Wenger confused with the board. He doesn't have an infinite amount of money to spend on footballers and has done as good as anybody could with limited funds.

That, there, is a fact.

A different manager wouldn't make a difference if the club didn't start spending more $. Wenger is a top socceer guy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
People have Wenger confused with the board. He doesn't have an infinite amount of money to spend on footballers and has done as good as anybody could with limited funds.

That, there, is a fact.

A different manager wouldn't make a difference if the club didn't start spending more $. Wenger is a top socceer guy.

Plenty of other clubs do a much better job in the transfer market with a lot less money to burn than Arsenal have.

Wenger's just really good at finding excuses for continuing to be such a loser.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
When you're one of the highest revenue generators and have the most expensive tickets in the world, you should be more successful than not winning the title since 04 and never winning the Champions League. I'm not asking for a dynasty here. But the amount of bottling this club has done under Wenger has been extraordinary and should not have been rewarded with a contract likely in the neighbourhood of 10m per season. I look forward to the club crying poor over wages in the coming weeks.

And if this supposed power struggle between Wenger and Gazidis was true, Wenger won. Which means he has autonomous power. He calls his own shots. Kroenke just wants revenue, not trophies if costs money to sign the players that will lead us there.

Quite a lot of randomness involved in winning. You hit the jackpot with a Messi, Ronaldo, Bale etc. and you will be winning. Or Henry and Bergkamp for that matter.

As for resources they are always up against clubs that got more. So what should they say when Arsenal beat them?

Not saying Wenger couldn't have done better. But he is hardly a disaster even now. So easy to forget the amount of uselessness one have seen at even the best clubs when they have been looking for new managers like Moyes etc.

For me the strongest argument for getting rid of Wenger is the potential need for a bit of a rebuild. That could take longer than what Wenger realistically got. At the same time Monaco have shown it can turn quickly with a bit of luck and getting the right players.

Bottom line for me is that Wenger is a boring choice, but not necessarily a bad one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad