Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm pretty sure I know who Weisbrod is on here, but every time I post it the mods delete it ... fair enough :biglaugh:

Tbh it would be stupid for an organization as big as the Canucks not to play the media manipulation game, and that includes social media. As long as it's just run-of-the-mill astroturfing, and not like, targeted harassment, I think you have to live with it. A reminder not to take social media too seriously.

Would love a Barca-like reckoning to come to our front office though...for whatever reason the thought of Benning/Weisbrod in prison warms my soul...

Not that opinions can be bought but there are some posters who have been accused of being pro-Benning here who could use some moral support such as free Canucks goodies. :cool:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Billion dollar NHL franchises would be stupid not to be astroturfing on social media with how much money is at stake and how few posters it takes to sway a narrative.

Only thing I'm curious about is how much of it is coordinated and how much people in the Canucks org just killing time at work same as everyone else. Like picture George Costanza working for the Yankee's. Now think of him in the same position today with a computer, a web browser, and access to MLB forums.

It certainly can but doesn't always have to be some cynical marketing/corporate ploy. And using George Costanza as an example just seems kind of... perfect for some reason :laugh:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It also can't just be a coincidence that the propaganda accounts are more prominent during the offseason when there's downtime. Remember Bob Long spending like 5 pages on here arguing that Eriksson had positive value? Insane.
Bob Long is a regular CDC poster, just under a different name. Not a propaganda puppet; more like a fisherman.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
Only thing I'm curious about is how much of it is coordinated and how much people in the Canucks org just killing time at work same as everyone else. Like picture George Costanza working for the Yankee's. Now think of him in the same position today with a computer, a web browser, and access to MLB forums.

It certainly can but doesn't always have to be some cynical marketing/corporate ploy. And using George Costanza as an example just seems kind of... perfect for some reason :laugh:
exactly. Guys, Benning & Weisbrod couldn't get water out of their shoe if the instructions were on the sole. And they're part of a grand Canucks plan to infiltrate discussion forums? They can't even figure out what "weaponizing cap space" means

Reactions: mossey3535

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Bob Long is a regular CDC poster, just under a different name. Not a propaganda puppet; more like a fisherman.

Jesus christ, that is perplexing. If he's not a propaganda account, why try to convince people that Eriksson has positive value (as recently as last offseason)? Like, out of all the issues discussed here, Eriksson having negative value is probably one of the most universally accepted facts of this fanbase.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Jesus christ, that is perplexing. If he's not a propaganda account, why try to convince people that Eriksson has positive value (as recently as last offseason)? Like, out of all the issues discussed here, Eriksson having negative value is probably one of the most universally accepted facts of this fanbase.
Maybe he enjoys casting a line here every once in a while? I’m thinking some of these questionable posters are just fishing.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

There are people who take the opposite opinion just for the sake of arguing or pissing off others. Some of them are still around.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If anyone who even semi-regularly posts here really thinks online astroturfing hasn't happened in here during the Benning regime...I really don't know what to tell you.

A lot of the people I believe you're referring to were just blatantly trolling. To the point I got a kick out of it because I cannot believe how effectively they riled everyone up despite blatantly constantly choosing whatever talking points were the most inflammatory. Like RMB going hard defending Voynov and then heading over to the politics board to take my side? That ain't no astroturfin', that's jimmy rustlin'

The fact of the matter is this board isn't really an effective place to be astroturfing. The way this forum works and how many posters have a consensus here, it just isn't feasible. Reddit, however, is one large corporate astroturfing platform and I have no doubt PR companies the Canucks hire pay for upvotes, or retweets on twitter or whatever. This board has very little exposure compared to the other mediums as well. From an effort/cost to return standpoint, it makes no sense.

While you may say things that make no sense from a logical standpoint are right in the wheelhouse of this management group, the astroturfing isn't going to be done by those guys themselves (unless it's a Costanza situation as described above, which I don't think qualifies as astroturfing just a biased fan), it's going to be done by a firm and it wouldn't be worth it for them to do it here IMO. I really like the hockey talk here, but it's a pretty small pond with a relatively tight-knit community (which is why I like it), I just never got the vibe that we were being shilled to as much as I got the vibe we were being trolled by some posters, and being bombarded with stupidity from others (sorry)

Reactions: Bubbles

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Because we've attacked these posters for years.

This board was very divided in the early days of the Benning regime and as more data became available, sides were picked and those who stayed on the Benning side too long got completely hammered by people here. Sometimes with good arguments, sometimes with just mean spiteful unnecessary comments. I've been on the other side of what's popular on this forum, I've had mods and global mods here say horrible things to me because I wasn't in their tribe and they hated me for it.

I've seen most regulars here try to find ways around the rules to say "hey you're an idiot" without actually saying it, I'm ashamed to say myself included. Even if posters like Bob are wrong, I can't imagine they wouldn't take some pleasure in stirring things up a bit given that they probably just don't like us very much at this point.

Also, although I'm not sure what posts are being referred to exactly, I got grief here a lot for saying Gudbranson had value. I was very clear that I didn't think he should have value, just that I think management quality around the league is so poor he does have value. Still, a few posters disagreed very strongly. Eriksson is a bit of a stretch though...

Reactions: Bubbles

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Not that opinions can be bought but there are some posters who have been accused of being pro-Benning here who could use some moral support such as free Canucks goodies. :cool:
Plenty of unsold Loui Eriksson jersey's available probably. Right next to the pallets of #11 jersey's with you know who's name the back.

Eriksson is a bit of a stretch though...
Even "Mr Fantastic" can't stretch that much.

3194050-1-758x426.jpg

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
exactly. Guys, Benning & Weisbrod couldn't get water out of their shoe if the instructions were on the sole.

If there are instructions stickered onto the soles of your shoes, do you keep it there for a rainy day? o_O

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
@EpochLink @Paulinbc just reading the nonsense in the gdt

“Haha why do fans make logical arguments about why we should keep 3 points in 40 games nic dowd instead of paying cup winning Beagle way more?

There’s no way that Dowd is a better hockey player and then you factor in the veteranness

Gonna look back and laugh at this one... same type of idiots who think there’s cap space issues”

- certain posters, 2018

After proven wrong, the argument was changed to “you guys thought dowd was some unbelievable player” when that missed the point entirely.

Same with Stecher, Biega, Gaunce, Lack, Stanton, Santorelli, Bonino etc. that we’ve had discussions about for seven years. Not once has the extra money paid for veteranness instead of league min or close to it proven to be beneficial towards winning a cup relative to the alternative. The argument has never been “we need to keep all these great players because they are sooo good omg ”

It’s always been that they’re a better option than the alternative.

Last edited:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
A lot of the people I believe you're referring to were just blatantly trolling. To the point I got a kick out of it because I cannot believe how effectively they riled everyone up despite blatantly constantly choosing whatever talking points were the most inflammatory. Like RMB going hard defending Voynov and then heading over to the politics board to take my side? That ain't no astroturfin', that's jimmy rustlin'

The fact of the matter is this board isn't really an effective place to be astroturfing. The way this forum works and how many posters have a consensus here, it just isn't feasible. Reddit, however, is one large corporate astroturfing platform and I have no doubt PR companies the Canucks hire pay for upvotes, or retweets on twitter or whatever. This board has very little exposure compared to the other mediums as well. From an effort/cost to return standpoint, it makes no sense.

While you may say things that make no sense from a logical standpoint are right in the wheelhouse of this management group, the astroturfing isn't going to be done by those guys themselves (unless it's a Costanza situation as described above, which I don't think qualifies as astroturfing just a biased fan), it's going to be done by a firm and it wouldn't be worth it for them to do it here IMO. I really like the hockey talk here, but it's a pretty small pond with a relatively tight-knit community (which is why I like it), I just never got the vibe that we were being shilled to as much as I got the vibe we were being trolled by some posters, and being bombarded with stupidity from others (sorry)

Exactly. It's so easy for bots to upvote things to the front page, or twitter bots to make things trend. When I have conversations with real world Canuck fans, this place is never mentioned. We're literally not worth it. :sarcasm:

I wonder if PR firms conduct their campaigns on older communities like USENET newsgroups, IRC channels or other old school forums like this? I doubt the people with these firms know what these are! :laugh:

Reactions: Intangibos

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

“Haha why do fans make logical arguments about why we should keep 3 points in 40 games nic dowd instead of paying cup winning Beagle way more?

There’s no way that Dowd is a better hockey player and then you factor in the veteranness

Gonna look back and laugh at this one... same type of idiots who think there’s cap space issues”

- certain posters, 2018

After proven wrong, the argument was changed to “you guys thought dowd was some unbelievable player” when that missed the point entirely.

Same with Stecher, Biega, Gaunce, Lack, Stanton, Santorelli, Bonino etc. that we’ve had discussions about for seven years. Not once has the extra money paid for veteranness instead of league min or close to it proven to be beneficial towards winning a cup relative to the alternative. The argument has never been “we need to keep all these great players because they are sooo good omg ”

Look at this gem I found:

Cody Hodgson the top pick in Vancouver Canucks' 2008 draft class

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Allow me to introduce to you to our very own @Zippgunn

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

- certain posters, 2018

I would add Richardson to this list as well. Made no sense to let him leave

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

tenor.gif

Reactions: Intangibos

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Allow me to introduce to you to our very own @Zippgunn

Whoa there boy, where did I say Eriksson had "value". All I said is that he is actually an OK hockey player. His contract is insane and probably immoveable. Let it run out and move on. Play him when you need a warm body that won't hit or score but can play decent 2 way hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad