Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
So much for the "playing the lineup that has the best chance of winning every night," jazz:

Who the F is that. Granted I don’t follow the team nearly as much as I used to. Long gone are the days I knew not only our own AHL players but the players in the AHL in general. I miss those days.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I'm going be so f$&king pissed if we re-sign Pearson. This man's stupidity is a bottomless well.

Re-upping Pearson or Sutter might push me over the edge into complete and utter apathy.

We can't just get rid of everybody and expect AHL players to do an NHL level job at a ridiculously low price. We have to be able to field an NHL team. If Pearson or Sutter can be re-signed for a decent price, you gotta look at that.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
We can't just get rid of everybody and expect AHL players to do an NHL level job at a ridiculously low price. We have to be able to field an NHL team. If Pearson or Sutter can be re-signed for a decent price, you gotta look at that.

You can't keep bringing the same roster back and expect the team to improve.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office

AHLers at league minimum would be better than half of Benning's acquisitions so far. You could literally replace Sutter, Beagle, & Eriksson with 3 career minor leaguers making the minimum and it wouldn't effect the team's position in the standings one iota. Meanwhile saving $12 million.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

Depth players who were available as UFAs last offseason for <$2.5M:

Ryan $1M
Verhaeghe $1M
Soderberg $1M
Namestnikov $2M
Duclair $1.7M
Wallmark $950k
Haula $1.75M
Thornton $700k (!)
Brassard $1.2M
Simon $700k
Athanasiou $1.2M
Janmark $2.3M
Maroon $900k
Hinostroza $1M
Sheary $735k
Wennberg $2.25M

I would've been more than happy to replace Sutter with someone like Wallmark for even $1.5M, for instance. We'd have gotten a better, younger player at a third of the cost...

Hell, even Hoffman took a 1-year $4M deal that barely pays more than Pearson.

These are all guys who we could've filled out the supporting cast with - and yes, at a ridiculously low price. There should be more this year too due to the flat cap. Just because we hardly ever benefit from these types of signings doesn't mean they aren't out there.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think the argument goes that those players were good enough to reach those heights on their own accord, kinduv like how Edmonton couldn't f*** up McDavid's development.

But Horvat would've been a 3c at best without Benning's brilliant mentorpede to develop Horvat.

I'm not saying it's a good argument. I just think that's the argument.

"Skate faster Bo!"
- Jim Benning, 2014

And then Bo skated faster.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver

We have to get rid of slowing down, soft, unskilled tweeners who aren’t able to fill an identity on the team. Sutter and Pearson both fall under this category. It’s healthy and necessary to have turnover on the roster, especially one as soft and stale as ours is this year.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Imagine, with their track records, allowing Benning and Weisbrod anywhere near your Billion dollar (formerly) asset.

With Benning and Weisbrod still steering this Ship of Fools, this trade deadline is likely to be one for the history books.

A great drama by seasons end.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I thought about this but bringing back Pearson makes it impossible to field a team next year unless he’s taking a huge pay cut so I don’t believe this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->