Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This is year 16 of the salary cap and people simply still have not adjusted to the financial realities of the modern NHL. Do not understand the economics of the salary cap. Don't understand the opportunity cost of overpaying fringe players. Don't understand that an ok player on a great contract is better to have on your roster than a good player on a bad contract.

And of course, are unable to detach themselves from the biases in player evaluation that they grew up with in a different time.

And then default to 'LOL YOU THOUGHT GAUNCE WAS A SUPERSTAR' and simply don't even understand or grasp that they're the ones who were wrong.

And yet are somehow able to understand the logic behind moves like Holtby over Markstrom and Hamonic replacing Tanev due to cap issues. It’s gotta be selective reasoning.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
And yet are somehow able to understand the logic behind moves like Holtby over Markstrom and Hamonic replacing Tanev due to cap issues. It’s gotta be selective reasoning.

e6a032ab0c391d1f14cd6768775ab46a.gif

tenor.gif

200.gif

Reactions: geebaan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I mean, Markstrom wasn't beloved by the casuals and we added a Big Name Guy with a Cup ring! Vezina! Most people during the offseason thought this was a lateral move or maybe a 'slight downgrade'.

It does seem to be slightly different when it comes to affording star players, but people simply don't understand the notion that the #1 best thing a 4th liner can provide to your club is to be cheap.

3 absolutely shit 4th liners making $700k each is better than 3 reasonably solid 4th liners making a total of $8 million.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I mean, Markstrom wasn't beloved by the casuals and we added a Big Name Guy with a Cup ring! Vezina! Most people during the offseason thought this was a lateral move or maybe a 'slight downgrade'.

It does seem to be slightly different when it comes to affording star players, but people simply don't understand the notion that the #1 best thing a 4th liner can provide to your club is to be cheap.

3 absolutely shit 4th liners making $700k each is better than 3 reasonably solid 4th liners making a total of $8 million.

We can only wish we had 3 reasonably solid 4th liners making only $8 million.

We have 3 non existent players in Loui, the bizarrely exiled Baertschi, and Gagner/Spooner taking up $9.4 million.

Oops, I just checked, you are correct we also have Beagle, Roussel and Virtanen taking up $8+ million.

Ignoring Myers and Holtby and Sutter and Ferland, how is it possible for a GM to be this bad? If I didn't witness it every day, I wouldn't believe it.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I wonder if Nucks 'Crack' management team were aware of this fellow when Malhotra left:

Probably to much of a succession hire I suspect for this group.

Too bad of all the ex-Canucks we kept to promote to management/coaching roles over the years, we chose guys like Baumgartner, Johnson, Cloutier, Smyl etc, but let guys like Burrows and Malhotra leave.

Reactions: Peter10

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
He was more than just a 4th liner imo. I would have rather paid him that premium rather than bringing in Sutter and Beagle. He was one of my favourites as well, sucked seeing him go.
I agree.

The reason I didn’t include him was because I understood at the time why they let him go.

At least I thought I did - didn’t make sense for where we were.

They let him go because they didn’t think he was that good clearly considering how many other shit bottom six guys they’ve overpaid.

It would have been unfair for me to include him in the list due to the benefit of hindsight.

But everyone knew how great he was when here. And his teammates loved him.

Reactions: Bgav

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

We have 3 non existent players in Loui, the bizarrely exiled Baertschi, and Gagner/Spooner taking up $9.4 million.

Oops, I just checked, you are correct we also have Beagle, Roussel and Virtanen taking up $8+ million.

Ignoring Myers and Holtby and Sutter and Ferland, how is it possible for a GM to be this bad? If I didn't witness it every day, I wouldn't believe it.

Are you familiar with the theory that we’re living in a simulation? If true, Benning still being employed is probably a glitch in the program.

Reactions: I am toxic

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I wonder if Nucks 'Crack' management team were aware of this fellow when Malhotra left:

Probably to much of a succession hire I suspect for this group.

This organization chases away competent people. This is why I think Bertuzzi has a decent shot of getting a job here.

Are you familiar with the theory that we’re living in a simulation? If true, Benning still being employed is probably a glitch in the program.

It's a virus. Not a glitch.

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

In passing. I followed the first two seasons of Westworld avidly, and between Elon Musk's ex-wife and Elon talking about AI I believe I have a fair idea about it in general.

Glitch is right.

Edit: or virus, I can go with virus

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I hated the Holtby contract the second it was signed and was definitely among the minority on this board. I hate it even more now.

The signing thread was bizarre. People - like an actual majority of people - were actually arguing that overpaying a backup for 2 years was better than overpaying a backup for 1 year because of, like, the expansion draft or something.

f*** what a stupid contract.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Too bad of all the ex-Canucks we kept to promote to management/coaching roles over the years, we chose guys like Baumgartner, Johnson, Cloutier, Smyl etc, but let guys like Burrows and Malhotra leave.

Cloutier was fine. Along with Melanson, Cloutier was instrumental in getting Marky to the point where Clark could administer the finishing touches. That sequence of staffing has been highly fortuituous and beneficial.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
This is year 16 of the salary cap and people simply still have not adjusted to the financial realities of the modern NHL. Do not understand the economics of the salary cap. Don't understand the opportunity cost of overpaying fringe players. Don't understand that an ok player on a great contract is better to have on your roster than a good player on a bad contract.

And of course, are unable to detach themselves from the biases in player evaluation that they grew up with in a different time.

And then default to 'LOL YOU THOUGHT GAUNCE WAS A SUPERSTAR' and simply don't even understand or grasp that they're the ones who were wrong.
You were here when Gillis was right?
Did you ever hear about being capped out?
Did they ever over pay the top FA's available?
Did you ever look to see the staggered contracts that provided almost 10 million at the end of each season?
How about the capologist they hired/created?
Just saying in 16 years this team did learn, know and led the NHL in cap management.

AND THEN ALONG CAME Linden/Benning and fired all those guys because they didn't think they needed them. Do you remember the reported infighting the capologist had with Benning just before he was fired and position eliminated?

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Did you ever look to see the staggered contracts that provided almost 10 million at the end of each season?
Just saying in 16 years this team did learn, know and led the NHL in cap management.

AND THEN ALONG CAME Linden/Benning and fired all those guys because they didn't think they needed them. Do you remember the reported infighting the capologist had with Benning just before he was fired and position eliminated?

tenor.gif

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
One thing unique about the Nucks organization is they appear to lack any person, in any department,, that conceivably could be a replacement for the lead in their department. Not one I am aware of: Not in Coaching, or Management.

This must be design by the Incumbents?

Remember when other organization use to give up draft picks to sign Canucks personnel? Those days of competency are long gone.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Oh, 100%.

We've gone from the #1 team in the NHL at this sort of stuff to #31.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
To be fair only 3 groups praised the Holtby deal: the anti-negs, the church of Benning, and people who generally just want to be happy.

I see a lot of folks thinking it was bad. Definitely not a minority.

Last edited:

dman34

May 6, 2011

When you look at the overall picture it really is a ridiculous comedy of errors in cap management isn't it.

Louie
Sven
Spooner
Beagle
Roussel
Virtanen
Myers
Holtby
Sutter
Ferland

That right there folks is like $32.5MM bucks a year!
Say what you want about Travis Green, but you can't blame him for the above. How the heck did Jimbo get a contract extension after creating this mess?

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
When you look at the overall picture it really is a ridiculous comedy of errors in cap management isn't it.

Louie
Sven
Spooner
Beagle
Roussel
Virtanen
Myers
Holtby
Sutter
Ferland

That right there folks is like $32.5MM bucks a year!
Say what you want about Travis Green, but you can't blame him for the above. How the heck did Jimbo get a contract extension after creating this mess?

6bc4eea58e574ce778d7d373cd59ab08.jpg

Reactions: mossey3535

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
When looking back at old threads you also have to keep in mind general expectations of those who have been critical of Benning. Like, many of us believe there is no real limit to the stupidity of Benning, so on free agency day - after he hasn’t signed Markstrom and Tanev and it appears they will be gone - you can see how there may be some relief when it is known he only have two years to Holtby. I don’t recall if I even posted regarding Holtby, but I think we need to keep the above in mind.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
To complete the picture, we just need confirmation that Benning's cell phone was off or in the shop on the morning of free agency when his UFAs were expecting calls.

"I ran out of time (on my cell plan)."

Reactions: mossey3535

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
When looking back at old threads you also have to keep in mind general expectations of those who have been critical of Benning. Like, many of us believe there is no real limit to the stupidity of Benning, so on free agency day - after he hasn’t signed Markstrom and Tanev and it appears they will be gone - you can see how there may be some relief when it is known he only have two years to Holtby. I don’t recall if I even posted regarding Holtby, but I think we need to keep the above in mind.

Sad but true. Remember when some people were relieved the Myers contract was "only" 6m x 5y instead of $7m x 7y?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad