Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If Manny doesn't get hit in the eye in 2011 - what was it, after the TDL? - we have a Cup in 2011.

If Keith doesn't cheapshot Daniel in 2012 - what was it, after the TDL? - we have a cup in 2012.

Gillis did well enough with the trades and signings (eg. Ehrhoff, Hamhuis) and smaller trades (Higgins, Lappy).

Bottom line for me: Gillis is hands down the best candidate out there, but he isn't coming back as long as the current owner is calling the shots.

The only two I can imagine I would like to hear being hired are Tlusky or Futa. Simply because I haven't seen massive red flags with them like with the other names thrown about. Jim Rutherford? God help me. Lombardi? Make me puke, character matters. Not sure about other names, throw 'em at me . . .

giphy.gif

Tlusky and Futa have OBC connections.
Rutherford and Lombardi are OBC for life period.
Luongo right now is going through his OBC membership in Florida, working within the ranks of management.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Maybe I should take a break from this forum.

One person is debating about Canucks had no major weaknesses and make a big trade wouldn't of made any sense. What????

Another person is debating Kadri Gardiner and two 1st round picks is worth Luongo. What????

I know a lot of people are Gillis fans. Bu when debating, don't just indirectly spell out "I am a Gillis fans so I am debate for the sake of debating to defend Gillis"

I didn't realize that the stance that the best team in this franchise's history (and top 3 or top 5 team overall since the lockout) didn't have major weaknesses was so bold it would chase you off. I'm sorry if I upset you so, but I guess we'll just have to find a way to go on without you.

Ehrhoff, Higgins and Lapierre were the perfect types of trades to compliment signings like Malhotra, Torres, Hamhuis etc when we had a very solid core to build around. Keep in mind we were up against the cap, even over the cap in 2011 due to Gilman wizardry. But yes, missing out on Raymond, Grabner. Hodgson and a 1st for a top line player was obviously Gillis' downfall!

Maybe we should have been in on Kaberle??

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I didn't realize that the stance that the best team in this franchise's history (and top 3 or top 5 team overall since the lockout) didn't have major weaknesses was so bold it would chase you off. I'm sorry if I upset you so, but I guess we'll just have to find a way to go on without you.

Ehrhoff, Higgins and Lapierre were the perfect types of trades to compliment signings like Malhotra, Torres, Hamhuis etc when we had a very solid core to build around. Keep in mind we were up against the cap, even over the cap in 2011 due to Gilman wizardry. But yes, missing out on Raymond, Grabner. Hodgson and a 1st for a top line player was obviously Gillis' downfall!

Maybe we should have been in on Kaberle??
Can't imagine writing 800 words on Gillis' transactions and not mentioning Samuelsson and only briefly mentioning Ehrhoff, Markstrom, Hamhuis and Horvat and then going off about the biases of other people.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's weird when people portray Gillis as some sort of a*hole nobody likes. My understanding is that he is generally a terrific guy who was loved by the staff that worked for him. Other NHL GMs voted for him as GM of the year.

He just didn't suffer fools, and didn't suffer the fools in the media here. And it was stupid of him, and it bit him in the ass.

And Burke butts heads with everyone because he's a jerk. Gillis is hardly alone there.

Remember Burke and Kevin Lowe?

NHL wades into Burke-Lowe feud - Sportsnet.ca

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It's weird when people portray Gillis as some sort of a*hole nobody likes. My understanding is that he is generally a terrific guy who was loved by the staff that worked for him. Other NHL GMs voted for him as GM of the year.

He just didn't suffer fools, and didn't suffer the fools in the media here. And it was stupid of him, and it bit him in the ass.

And Burke butts heads with everyone because he's a jerk. Gillis is hardly alone there.

Remember Burke and Kevin Lowe?

NHL wades into Burke-Lowe feud - Sportsnet.ca

I just want to ask then, what conclusions would you come to when Gillis has been refused for so many jobs? If he's such a terrific guy, why hasn't he landed a front office job in the NHL?

Reactions: Dab

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
It's funny how Gillis has been portrayed as this arrogant know-it-all when we have the most stubbornly arrogant dumbass moron in team history at the helm right now, but Farmer Jim gets treated with kid gloves by the softest house media in the NHL.

What a joke.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It's funny how Gillis has been portrayed as this arrogant know-it-all when we have the most stubbornly arrogant dumbass moron in team history at the helm right now, but Farmer Jim gets treated with kid gloves by the softest house media in the NHL.

What a joke.

Benning worked his way through the NHL ranks from fellow OBC members.

They will give him the benefit of the doubt.
Gillis was a player agent who was handed the job of GM in Vancouver, through the eyes of the OBC thats not how it works.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I just want to ask then, what conclusions would you come to when Gillis has been refused for so many jobs? If he's such a terrific guy, why hasn't he landed a front office job in the NHL?
And why was he treated differently than just about every other GM by the media, ie Gord Millers revealing the details of conversations at what was likely an off the record private party, etc.

I can’t imagine the Toronto media revealing the details of private conversations they were at the table for at one of Brian Burke’s notorious scotch-fests.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
And why was he treated differently than just about every other GM by the media, ie Gord Millers revealing the details of conversations at what was likely an off the record private party, etc.

I can’t imagine the Toronto media revealing the details of private conversations they were at the table for at one of Brian Burke’s notorious scotch-fests.

Ooo, what was the details about? Never heard this story before.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gillis is a free-thinker in a league that is scared of change. His ideas also sound like they would generally have added expenses and many teams would be scared of that investment, especially when he has been clear he would prefer to be President and not GM so you're adding even more to the payroll.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Burke said Gillis asked Kadri and two 1st round picks, talks were over, sure the Luongo traded ended up well for Canucks since Markstrom became a number 1 goalie but at that time I am sure he could of got more than a third line forward and a goaltending prospect.

Another person is debating Kadri Gardiner and two 1st round picks is worth Luongo. What????

2 different things. Now if keep on saying its fair value does it suddenly become Kadri, Gardiner, Lupul and two first round picks?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

I think it was Duthie not Gord Miller. I think it was when the Canucks were up 2-0 on Boston and Gillis had dinner with a few media people and was talking about how he built a Stanley Cup team. Duthie made it sound as if it was an insane egotistical statement like it wasn't a Stanley Cup calibre team

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Gillis is a free-thinker in a league that is scared of change. His ideas also sound like they would generally have added expenses and many teams would be scared of that investment, especially when he has been clear he would prefer to be President and not GM so you're adding even more to the payroll.

Ding ding ding. You got it. Ownership groups league wide are cheap bastards and going "lean."

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I think it was Duthie not Gord Miller. I think it was when the Canucks were up 2-0 on Boston and Gillis had dinner with a few media people and was talking about how he built a Stanley Cup team. Duthie made it sound as if it was an insane egotistical statement like it wasn't a Stanley Cup calibre team

To be fair...Duthie is full of shit.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
essentially that Gillis and co were having a few bevvys in the 2011 playoffs and they were extremely confident and cocky and whatever bs character assassination the OBC was floating at the time..

Edit: thanks for the correction it was Duthie not Miller, my bad!

Reactions: Intangibos

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
Benning with his back against the wall with Kesler targets Sbisa and constantly pimps him as a top-4 guy for years. Then he berates his scouting staff for taking McCann over Pastrnak.

Chevy with his back against the wall with Trouba takes Neal Pionk and drafts Ville Heinola.

Masterclass in scouting right there. Lets also not forget "targeting" Goldobin and Dahlen in trades rather than taking picks. Plus all the "age gap" trades with a success rate of 0.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
This has nothing to do with Benning. Why did you even bring up Benning? I didn't even write Benning in my post.

Some people want Gillis back. I am giving the reason why he shouldn't be back.

I am ignoring Benning deals in my post because the conversation is not about Benning.

Some of you guys seem hurt to know the truth about Gillis. Some People are acting like little kids. It's like I said something Negative about Gillis and now people need revenge and say something negative about Benning.

Funny thing is most of my replies don't have much defending my points, why??? Because they are all solid points and people don't know how to defend those points so people feel like they need to bring Benning in the conversation to make them feel better.

Do you feel better if I say?

Benning is a horrible gm and he made a lot of bad moves. Sure I will say that.

Oh jesus christ what a drama queen. This actually *is* the management thread, so Benning actually is the topic. Some people want Gillis back because even though he wasn't perfect, he was still vastly better than what we've seen from Benning for the last seven years. Nobody needs "revenge" for you saying negative things about Gillis...what are you, 12?

The 2010/2011 Canucks won the President's Trophy before other teams had even locked up a playoff spot. It had the leading scorer in the NHL on the first line, a Selke winner on the second line, Jennings winners in net, the top offence, top defense, and top powerplay in the league, and their penalty killing only slumped out of the top spot in like the last week after Malhotra went down. It was the most statistically dominant Canucks team to ever hit the ice. Period. How many teams in that position make huge deals that fundamentally alter the team's structure? Nobody's addressing your points because they've been heard and addressed a thousand times before.

On Gillis' worst day, he's a better NHL gm than Benning could ever hope to be in his wildest fantasies.

Last edited:

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Oh jesus christ what a drama queen. This actually *is* the management thread, so Benning actually is the topic. Some people want Gillis back because even though he wasn't perfect, he was still vastly better than what we've seen from Benning for the last seven years. Nobody needs "revenge" for you saying negative things about Gillis...what are you, 12?

The 2010/2011 Canucks won the President's Trophy before other teams had even locked up a playoff spot. It had the leading scorer in the NHL on the first line, a Selke winner on the second line, Jennings winners in net, the top offence, top defense, and top powerplay in the league, and their penalty killing only slumped out of the top spot in like the last week after Malhotra went down. It was the most statistically dominant Canucks team to ever hit the ice. Period. How many teams in that position make huge deals that fundamentally alter the team's structure? Nobody's addressing your points because they've been heard and addressed a thousand time before.

On Gillis' worst day, he's a better NHL gm than Benning could ever hope to be in his wildest fantasies.

Gillis was a good GM, but Benning will get the benefit of the doubt cause he has connections.

Reactions: xtra

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Probably the most telling part of that article that it's a garbage hit piece, Dreger drops in the line 'and Nonis basically built that team.' Draft picks aside the only player on the 2011 team acquired by Nonis was Luongo. Their were zero contracts on the team signed by Nonis. But on the other hand, Dreger and Nonis are actually related, they are cousins.

I can't quite remember and don't care to look it up but I believe the article came out when Nonis was having a rough spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad