Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They are trying to buy when they have have about a 4% chance of making the playoffs. Unbelievable.

The incentives for both coach and GM are both completely wrong right now. We're done, we should be selling now and seeing what we have in guys like Michaelis, MacEwan, Rafferty, Rathbone, etc.
Exactly. THis is the time to acquire picks, and evaluate our prospects at the NHL level.

Reactions: platotld

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This is what I'm seriously worried about. I am on the record saying FA won't make a management move until at least after the season. But a whole lot of damage can be done in the meantime.
It's arguable (maybe not even) that the only move via a trade or free agency that made a significant difference in competitiveness involved giving up a 1st rounder. As infinity never crosses zero, there is always a chance. But I have no confidence that JB et al. won't hurt the team in the medium to long term with their short term moves.

Reactions: Bubbles

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I agree with Bubbles...give Michaelis a shot. He can't be worse than 4 or 5 of the regulars in the bottom 6.

Reactions: Bubbles

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
Tonight's plan : I think that’s important to get to that place to make adjustments, but also what kind of message to say to the group,” Green added.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
OMG...Benning thinks the Canucks can still make the playoffs? :pullhair:

It wouldn't surprise me one iota if Benning thinks because we're 4 points back we can still make the playoffs. When in reality because of things like math, we will need to play at 100 point pace just to be a bubble team.

Reactions: Peter10

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It wouldn't surprise me one iota if Benning thinks because we're 4 points back we can still make the playoffs. When in reality because of things like math, we will need to play at 100 point pace just to be a bubble team.

If there's one thing we can be sure of, it's that Jim Benning is a very stupid man who is very bad at understanding math and percentages.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Exactly. THis is the time to acquire picks, and evaluate our prospects at the NHL level.

Sellers generally get better results nearer the deadline because buyers aren't carrying added the salary / cap hit for as long and also have a better idea of where they stand and what they need/want. Also, I don't know about the signal that it would send to the team, including the better players, to give up already. They probably don't think they're that far out of it given the amount of games still remaining. I'd wait a little while.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sellers generally get better results at the deadline because buyers aren't carrying added the salary / cap hit for as long and also have a better idea of where they stand and what they need/want. Also, I don't know about the signal that it would send to the team, including the better players, to give up already. They probably don't think they're that far out of it given the amount of games still remaining. I'd wait a little while.
I understand the room is important, but which of the guys left are we planning on keeping long term anyway? HUghes, Petey, Bess, and Bo?

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
If there's one thing we can be sure of, it's that Jim Benning is a very stupid man who is very bad at understanding math and percentages.

Imagine how many bad GMs owners could avoid hiring with a simple test.

1. If the playoff bar is 63 points and we have 18 points in 23 games, how many points will be needed to make the playoffs?

2. What is a seller's market?

3. What are the rules for tampering?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Classic Benning, especially when we should have one on the way already if they know Podz is going to sign :laugh:

In a way it is kind of the right idea, just as always would be horrible timing and execution. I'm just going what other people seem to say but if Miller can be an effective C then rather than running two good lines then the Sutter & Beagle lines I think we could be pretty close to having a Carolina-like setup with Pettersson/Horvat/Miller mimicking Aho/Trochek/Staal, mixing legit top six wingers with a few fillers.

If I were to armchair GM/coach this season is done already so you can sell but I'd be trying to find the right mix to see what could work here then planning who to target to complete it:

?-Pettersson-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-?
?-Miller-Gaudette

Podkolzin should get one spot, see if you can find someone within the organization that can mesh in one of the slots, then start planning a target list to add one more in the off season.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Back on track

Oh my god...just please don't. If he pulls off a trade, it will further cement the fact that he has Aquilini's full support.

I could see him trading a prospect and a 2nd or a 1st for a rental like Kyle Palmieri.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Also, if there's a second thing we can be sure of, it's that Jim Benning and John Weisbrod will actively harm the long-term fortunes of the team to selfishly try and save their own jobs in the short term.

March 2nd, 2021: Vancouver Canucks trade a 2021 2nd, 2022 3rd and Rathbone to New Jersey Devils for Kyle Palmieri.

July 1st, 2021: Kyle Palmieri signs with Edmonton Oilers for 4 years 16 mil.

Reactions: pomorick and xtra

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I mean to be fair, I think a lot of the posters here are pretty silly. I've had plenty of political arguments with a bunch of you, and I think a lot of you have bizarre takes on a number of things. I'm sure a number of people here have me on the other end of that. However, I come here to talk about hockey for the most part, and it seems overall we've all seemingly hit the nail on the head in regards to this team.

It's common for people to create rivalries in their head, we've called Benning supporters morons plenty so it's a normal reaction for them to get defensive about it. Now they've just dug in and it's hard to change. Which is sad because they can admit we were right while still thinking we're a little dramatic, but they would rather complain about us instead.

It's better to just move on and ignore them, why even stoop to their level and start gossiping about them etc. Like them calling us basement dwelling neckbeards and posters here responding with "50 year old i-i-incels!" is equally pathetic IMO. Lets just stick to the hockey.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Benning should not be allowed to trade for anything, let alone a top 9 player under 25, who is sure to cost more than anything we should give up.

Reactions: PM and David71

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Podkolzin
Lockwood
Mikaelis
Gadjovich
Lind
Focht

all are candidates for middle 6 forwards. **&**&I would even put Rathbone in as a 3rd line winger before I gave up assets in the short term.

#handcuffbenning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad