Management Thread: Weisileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Their "board" is a factory of sadness. It's a relic from the early internet era. For what they at least claim to be "life long Canucks fans since the 70s", they have some of the most childish conduct I've witnessed. Their insults are truly tragic for a forum that is less family friendly. I've played hockey against toothless cokeheads with more teeth to their words than them. I simultaneously feel sorry for them as well, the one claim to fame they have, HW, does she even post anymore?

I wouldn't take anything that group of bootlickers says seriously. "So and so are hurling diapers again". Truly the pinnacle of brutal trashtalk. Have to go dust myself off after that one. :laugh:

It's a good home for incels though

Reactions: geebaan and rypper

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think a Juolevi’s play has been a positive. He is obviously getting sheltered minutes and not playing great defensively, but if he can improve his skating, and more particularly pivoting, he might be able to be a number four defenseman that ate second power play minute which would be a huge win at this point. Otherwise he’s a dime a dozen player that probably is only in the nhl due to where he was drafted.

Reactions: shottasasa

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
HOW IS JB STILL HERE

I don't think he is.

I think he is essentially collecting severance pay.

The lack of recent appearances. Rumors that he was prevented by the owner to buyout Sutter. The pschophant media talking about him being gone after the offseason at the latest.

He's already been axed, they just don't have the guts to admit the owner is acting President and acting GM, while Gear and Wall take care of the details.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't think he is.

I think he is essentially collecting severance pay.

The lack of recent appearances. Rumors that he was prevented by the owner to buyout Sutter. The pschophant media talking about him being gone after the offseason at the latest.

He's already been axed, they just don't have the guts to admit the owner is acting President and acting GM, while Gear and Wall take care of the details.
So who makes the important TDL trades to get return on coming UFAs?
Who are the players we wouldn’t trade, even if they have contracts beyond this year?
Petey, Hughes, Bess, Bo, Hogs, and Pods?

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So who makes the important TDL trades to get return on coming UFAs?
Who are the players we wouldn’t trade, even if they have contracts beyond this year?
Petey, Hughes, Bess, Bo, Hogs, and Pods?

No one.

tenor.gif

200.gif

200.gif

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Ya I hope the team is caretaker mode too.

Stand PAT

I actually hope they get off their gutless asses, fire Benning, hire a President who hires a GM, and they start proactively making moves to set up the team for sustained success.

Including trading Holtby, Miller, Myers and Schmidt at the TDL, and unloading Loui, Beagle, Roussel if possible, and get whatever you can get for Sutter (future consideration? bag of pucks?) without adding.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The fact that Benning still has a job tells me one of three things about the Aquilini's:

1. They're being extremely frugal not wanting to hire new personnel while still paying out Benning/Weisbrod. I know this is an odd season and a crunch on the finances but if you want to own a pro sports team not eating half a seasons pay on your GM for the betterment of the team is cheapskate territory.
2. Francisco actually believe Benning & co are doing a good job and deserve more time.
3. They would bring in someone new now but are too incompetent and/or toxic to draw in experienced leadership.

Whatever it is this is not a good look for them.
So even I, with very little faith in ownership, mostly believe that the decision has already been made to turf Benning (and I assume Weisbrod) at the end of the year, especially if it's merely a question of not renewing an option. I think it's a terrible decision to wait, and that the pandemic shouldn't actually matter that much for this move, but I do mostly believe it will happen, so item #1.

That said, I keep saying "mostly" because a part of me still believes it won't happen either because of inertia/incompetence when they find he isn't that easy to replace, or there will be enough distractions once the season's over that they figure (idiotically) that the furor will calm down and they can sell some sort of "pandemic season" narrative where everything is OK now. And I feel the chances of this happening are significant enough to make me nervous.

I have never seen such complete and utter insufferable arrogance married to ass-backwards wrongness on the internet as Strangelove and rest of the losers from the place that shall not be named. These guys were up there with hardcore Trumpers for tortured logic and shameless propaganda. It wasn't just stupid, it was aggressively stupid. I mean, I remember the old site from way, way back. It can't have been that bad.
Yeah, it was quite normal a place when I posted there in the mid/late 2000s. The site had other features then (including a column from Tom Benjamin, whose thoughts I always admired and found he would have had much more of a voice if he just came around 5 years later) and a broader base of users.

Reactions: tantalum

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
The fact that Benning still has a job tells me one of three things about the Aquilini's:

1. They're being extremely frugal not wanting to hire new personnel while still paying out Benning/Weisbrod. I know this is an odd season and a crunch on the finances but if you want to own a pro sports team not eating half a seasons pay on your GM for the betterment of the team is cheapskate territory.
2. Francisco actually believe Benning & co are doing a good job and deserve more time.
3. They would bring in someone new now but are too incompetent and/or toxic to draw in experienced leadership.
I honestly can't tell if I'm due to get dickslapped again, but #2 just can't be possible. It can't be! There's no metric that purports Benning has done a good job. 2/7 years in playoffs. The team has lost value while every single other NHL team has gained value. They're spending $30m/year on a bunch of below-replacement level players. Anyone, even the dumbest owner of all time, would look at the facts here and realize Benning should really be flipping burgers in the 3oo level.

Here's an option #4 that you haven't considered though:

4. Aquilini has been defending Benning for years and years and years and basically will not admit he's wrong. Frankie's fragile ego is what's keeping the management group together, he refuses to accept that Benning has done a poor job

what's the evidence to support this? Aqua drove Linden out, he stood by while Benning fired Gilman, Brackett, and anyone else who questioned him. As the management group shrunk, the Canucks were actually improving because they'd been so bad for so long, thereby suggesting to Aqua that Benning's management style was working! Now admitting Benning was bad would mean that Aqua directly contributed to the worst era in Canucks history, that Aqua directly contributed to the team ruining its value, that Aqua is responsible for everything. We know that Aqua is desperate to protect his reputation, almost every move he's made in the last 7 years has been to try and repair this "trigger-happy" reputation he had gained. Is this too ridiculous to believe?

Reactions: geebaan

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Their "board" is a factory of sadness. It's a relic from the early internet era. For what they at least claim to be "life long Canucks fans since the 70s", they have some of the most childish conduct I've witnessed. Their insults are truly tragic for a forum that is less family friendly. I've played hockey against toothless cokeheads with more teeth to their words than them. I simultaneously feel sorry for them as well, the one claim to fame they have, HW, does she even post anymore?

I wouldn't take anything that group of bootlickers says seriously. "So and so are hurling diapers again". Truly the pinnacle of brutal trashtalk. Have to go dust myself off after that one. :laugh:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

HW used to have insider sources with the Canucks but I think that link may have been broken. I recall she used to leak a lot of information but I don't recall that happening for years now which leads me to believe it was someone who worked for Nonis and Gillis, but not for Benning (any ideas? I long thought it might have been Stan Smyl but he still works there).

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
Hockey Widow's "insider" scoop was Darren Dreger on TSN. She never broke any info that wasn't already heavily speculated in the media and her hockey takes were consistently garbage. She had like one vague prediction come to pass in 2004 and people started thinking she worked in the front office, it was sad.

Rumsfeld

Oct 3, 2020
As for that other board, it used to have a lot of terrific hockey posters and spirited debates. Since 2001 it was the only site I used for Canucks posting.

For whatever reason most of the regulars moved on after the board migration from CanucksCentral in 2011, and around 2016 or so the hockey forum devolved into this cult-like Benning ball-washing festival. It's really a shame, but I still have friends there and drop in from time to time.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Hockey Widow's "insider" scoop was Darren Dreger on TSN. She never broke any info that wasn't already heavily speculated in the media and her hockey takes were consistently garbage. She had like one vague prediction come to pass in 2004 and people started thinking she worked in the front office, it was sad.

I recall her predicting the Canucks would sign Johan Hedberg. It was quite random but she nailed it. Could have been pure luck though (my buddy predicted the Seattle Mariners would sign Al Martin way back when, and that ended up becoming true. Was nothing more than pure luck). Since then she's been quite vague, I will give you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad