Management Thread | The Song Remains the Same Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
they have been trying for a long time now.

note the wingers we are trying to replace

i hate to tell ya but its going to get alot worse.
Hate to tell you but I’m not delusional. It will take time and I’ve never said different. What I said was the blue line was never going to be able to be truly touched until this summer. That is the start of it not the end. That goes with other areas as well. This is the time when true roster makeover could start or become a reality because time needed to tick off some deals.

Reactions: mossey3535

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Nah.

They have just been unable to accomplish what they set out to do so far.
They’ve failed in some respects yes. No doubt. But rationally some of the biggest things like the blue line did need time (and still does). I mean it would have been nice to move Myers last summer but that was never a huge reality I don’t think. He becomes moveable once his final bonus is paid though. Well maybe not now with his play lol.

I don’t believe they thought they would be able to make MAJOR changes to the blue line until now and moving forward. They were nibbling around the edges but time needed to pass to get into the heart of the issue. And there wasn’t much that could be done.

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
They’ve failed in some respects yes. No doubt. But rationally some of the biggest things like the blue line did need time (and still goes). I mean it would have been nice to move Myers last summer but that was never a huge reality I don’t think. He becomes moveable once his final bonus is paid though. Well maybe not now with his play lol.

I don’t believe they thought they would be able to make MAJOR changes to the blue line until now and moving forward. They were nibbling around the edges but needed to pass up get into the heart of the issue. And there wasn’t much that could be done.

Oh once his bonus is paid pending an NTC/NMC that man is going to arizona lol

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
So this deadline has been pretty exciting so far. The sad thing is the Canucks could have been doing these kind of moves every year since about 2014 (selling UFA's as rentals and looking down the road a year or two instead of hoping to make the playoffs every season).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
They’ve failed in some respects yes. No doubt. But rationally some of the biggest things like the blue line did need time (and still does). I mean it would have been nice to move Myers last summer but that was never a huge reality I don’t think. He becomes moveable once his final bonus is paid though. Well maybe not now with his play lol.

I don’t believe they thought they would be able to make MAJOR changes to the blue line until now and moving forward. They were nibbling around the edges but time needed to pass to get into the heart of the issue. And there wasn’t much that could be done.
Yeah pretty much agree. I get the impression here that while the team is in a pretty good place at the moment for starting a rebuild a lot of people seem butthurt that they didn't plan this way in the off season but instead took another shot at it.

Which is again making too much out of periphery connections to Jim Benning. Did Benning plan to compete in the summer then fail in the spring? Sure. But in addition to what you planned, what's just as important for a GM is how you react. Benning was legendarily terrible because he'd plan to win in the summer, fail in the spring because he made all the wrong moves, but then just freeze up unable to shift gears instead just putting out a bunch of excuses... and the guy got to do this for like 8 freakin years. Also speaking of injuries notice how there's not a peep from management right now about how big an impact the Demko injury has been, Benning would be all over that in the media right now.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Yeah pretty much agree. I get the impression here that while the team is in a pretty good place at the moment for starting a rebuild a lot of people seem butthurt that they didn't plan this way in the off season but instead took another shot at it.

Which is again making too much out of periphery connections to Jim Benning. Did Benning plan to compete in the summer then fail in the spring? Sure. But in addition to what you planned, what's just as important for a GM is how you react. Benning was legendarily terrible because he'd plan to win in the summer, fail in the spring because he made all the wrong moves, but then just freeze up unable to shift gears instead just putting out a bunch of excuses... and the guy got to do this for like 8 freakin years. Also speaking of injuries notice how there's not a peep from management right now about how big an impact the Demko injury has been, Benning would be all over that in the media right now.
Umm, Rutherford was hired December 9th 2021. All moves the Canucks made last summer are completely on him and his team, not Jim Benning. The Canucks were absolutely planning to make the playoffs at the beginning of this year. And, if the Canucks had gotten great goaltending from a healthy Demko they would probably be a bubble team...meaning no rebuilding trades.

Praising team management for completely failing to evaluate the direction the team needed to go in last summer is kind of strange.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Umm, Rutherford was hired December 9th 2021. All moves the Canucks made last summer are completely on him and his team, not Jim Benning. The Canucks were absolutely planning to make the playoffs at the beginning of this year. And, if the Canucks had gotten great goaltending from a healthy Demko they would probably be a bubble team...meaning no rebuilding trades.

Praising team management for completely failing to evaluate the direction the team needed to go in last summer is kind of strange.
If Demko played for the team this season like he did last season then yes the Canucks are not guaranteed but probably in the playoff picture. Whether or not that's a good thing is debatable. I didn't intend to apply in praise here but what it would be is the reverse shift they've pulled when it didn't work out. Really the only difference if it was planned from the start would be no Miller extension and another Horvat-like deadline deal.

As I implied, if it was still Jim Benning running the show he'd be bungling the deadline right now while complaining about how we would've been good but Demko injury.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Anyone else think Tryamkin may come back? He's a free agent, and now there's a solid core of Russians here

giphy.gif

He made his choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad