Management Thread | The Song Remains the Same Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Taking the Canucks to court to get a fair payout is reasonable. Most employers are smart enough to see that is just business.

However the constant sniping and talking behind the scenes. Everyy team is seeing someone they can't trust to shut up if they fire them. Those people are unhirable.
She seemed pretty clear that she doesn't plan or want to work in hockey again. So if the sniping gets her more Twitter impressions or whatever, it's probably a net benefit for whatever she does next.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
She seemed pretty clear that she doesn't plan or want to work in hockey again. So if the sniping gets her more Twitter impressions or whatever, it's probably a net benefit for whatever she does next.

Could go either way, I employ a number of data scientists and am not a fan of Canucks ownership (hated Benning and started liking JR but I'm souring...); I was excited when Doerrie got hired, befuddled when she left, and the more that has come out the less I feel she's coming out on the positive side of things.

Had she come on the market in a good or even neutral light I'd be thrilled to go after her for our data science team, but the impression she's leaving is one where she just seems difficult to work with. (And FTR the majority of our team are women, so this isn't a bro-culture by any stretch.)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Could go either way, I employ a number of data scientists and am not a fan of Canucks ownership (hated Benning and started liking JR but I'm souring...); I was excited when Doerrie got hired, befuddled when she left, and the more that has come out the less I feel she's coming out on the positive side of things.

Had she come on the market in a good or even neutral light I'd be thrilled to go after her for our data science team, but the impression she's leaving is one where she just seems difficult to work with. (And FTR the majority of our team are women, so this isn't a bro-culture by any stretch.)
She doesn't really seem like a data scientist anyway. Her public work was more analysis of data/models that were already out there. And with the Canucks she was on the video staff. She's not managing/cleaning/filtering the data.

I think it's obvious she's angling more for a pseudo-media gig. She can play the role of "former team analyst/insider".

Reactions: MarkMM

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
She doesn't really seem like a data scientist anyway. Her public work was more analysis of data/models that were already out there. And with the Canucks she was on the video staff. She's not managing/cleaning/filtering the data.

I think it's obvious she's angling more for a pseudo-media gig. She can play the role of "former team analyst/insider".

That's true, in that sense she is a good listen, like her or not, she'd do well in the entertaining sense with uncensored opinions which has its place. Her whole thing with Benning gluing macaroni while the world around him is playing 3D chess is the kind of snippet that livens up a discussion around stats.

Reactions: bossram

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That's true, in that sense she is a good listen, like her or not, she'd do well in the entertaining sense with uncensored opinions which has its place. Her whole thing with Benning gluing macaroni while the world around him is playing 3D chess is the kind of snippet that livens up a discussion around stats.
Jethro seems like he'd be just sniffing the glue.🤪

• Haha
Reactions: MarkMM

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Still wouldn't shock me if by Canucks training camp in September, there's an almost complete roster makeover.

Still a possibility that Boeser, Garland, Demko and even Miller are dealt by the TDL or in the off-season. Looks to me like the Canucks have finally had the lesson pounded into them.

All four players, if they were Canucks next season, would consume a whopping total of $24m under the salary cap. You hardly need to blow that kind of money to be a lottery team year after year.
Throw in OEL and Myers and that's another 13mil lol

I dont know whether to cry or laugh

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Another example of the Ass-backward thinking of Canucks Management:

Silovs is winning games for Van City, while the "TRUTH" is now conjuring his SPECIAL FRANCHISE-BUILDING MAGIC during the current Abby TANK.

Last edited:
Reactions: mriswith

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Is she this low functioning that she doesn’t understand why any large organization wants to control messaging and not let new hires trade secrets with their old buddies in the media?

My opinion of her is dropping by the minute and it was already pretty low,
If that is the extent of how analytical her brain works, I'm glad she's no longer with this organization.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Huge props to Allvin/JR. I went from worrying that they will pick up Kapanen to instead them stealing Kravtsov for nothing. I read that they waited Drury out from the ask of Hoglander to possibly the Islander pick until they ran out of time while trying to acquire Kane. Now the hope is that Tocchet and his team knows how to reprogram him and build him back up to his original potential. It's not easy, but it's definitely a great gamble.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
Starting to think its likely were only getting a 4th or 5th for Schenn, otherwise the trigger would have been pulled already. Which is unfortunate because right now contending teams are giving away 2025/2026 firsts like candy for average players.

Reactions: Nucker101

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Starting to think its likely were only getting a 4th or 5th for Schenn, otherwise the trigger would have been pulled already. Which is unfortunate because right now contending teams are giving away 2025/2026 firsts like candy for average players.

If that's the case, I wouldn't add a pick overall, I'd throw one in and move up into the top 90.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Get with the times! Draft picks are worthless. Or so I keep hearing.

Do you think we are just going to have to wait until the off season before fixing this train wreck defense.
Give it 3 - 4 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad