Management Thread | The Song Remains the Same Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Larkin is 2.5 years younger but his new contract is also a year longer.

With that said, I still think Miller should be traded because he doesn't fit our window.
I think you've misread.

Miller turns 30 on March 14th and Larkin will be 26 until July 30th.

Even with the 8 year extension, his deal will still be done before Miller.

But definitely agree about Miller not fitting our window as the biggest motivation to trade him.

Reactions: theguardianII

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I think you've misread.

Miller turns 30 on March 14th and Larkin will be 26 until July 30th.

Even with the 8 year extension, his deal will still be done before Miller.

But definitely agree about Miller not fitting our window as the biggest motivation to trade him.
I didn't misread. I realized that the Larkin's contract is superior (ignoring cap hit) even though it's a year longer because by the time they retire, one will be 35 and the other will be 37. Statically, it's a bad idea to have anyone over 30 and the longer the contract, the riskier it is.

Honestly, the Canucks was in control of their own desinty with Boeser and Miller. Miller could have been traded last year (we knew there were offers) and we could have just given Boeser a 1 year QO.

The team seems to be completely unaware that it's not properly built and is not anywhere close to a contender. I guess we can thank AQ for that.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I didn't misread. I realized that the Larkin's contract is superior (ignoring cap hit) even though it's a year longer because by the time they retire, one will be 35 and the other will be 37. Statically, it's a bad idea to have anyone over 30 and the longer the contract, the riskier it is.

Honestly, the Canucks was in control of their own desinty with Boeser and Miller. Miller could have been traded last year (we knew there were offers) and we could have just given Boeser a 1 year QO.

The team seems to be completely unaware that it's not properly built and is not anywhere close to a contender. I guess we can thank AQ for that.
Misread on the age. They're not 2.5 years apart. They're 3 years 4 months 16 days apart.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
What's really frustrating about the "build now" approach of giving up picks is that they cannot fluke into a literal and figurative lottery - like, the best upside possible is the JT Miller trade, where a 2nd line forward turns into a top-10 scoring player, or the Kuzmenko signing where a Russian free agent without much prior hype ends up looking like a near PPG winger for the remainder of his prime. Maybe that's what happens with Hronek too, but when these guys end up getting paid market rates within a couple years, you lose most, if not all of that value creation.

There's just no way to replicate the immense value of landing a superstar on an ELC and/or locking them down to a long-term contract before they hit their peak. And we're going down a path that requires competing against teams who have those players in place, while also requiring Allvin to out-do the 31 other GM's through methodical, process oriented, value-generating accretion.

There's only so much value that can be uncovered and I just simply don't see how this management group, with the cards they currently hold, can ever find enough to be an elite team for any period of time.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Tbf
Everything they’ve done this far aligned with what JR said at the beginning
“Build for 2 years and then compete”
At least they have not lied

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Adding a bunch of fast winger and a young top 4 D
Whether that work out or not is another story

What I’m trying to say is that they have a clear vision and likely won’t turn back on it
Mikheyev and...? If they're "building for two years", Well Beauvillier is out after that. Raty is slow. Kravstov isn't known for his wheels.

This "young" top-four D will also need a new contract before the building phase is over. The Canucks bought high on a guy fluffing his production with PP time and inflated shooting. Allvin got rugpulled here.

1677717305757.png

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I didn’t even think I cared anymore. I’ve barely paid attention all year. But the last few weeks, I was starting to care. I was coming around.

And now, how can anyone give a shit? It’s the same shit over and over. Quick bandaids, no long term vision. No patience. No hope.

f*** this f***ing team. f*** Rutherford, f*** Allvin, and most of all f*** Aquilini. What a f***ing slap in the f***ing face.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I didn’t even think I cared anymore. I’ve barely paid attention all year. But the last few weeks, I was starting to care. I was coming around.

And now, how can anyone give a shit? It’s the same shit over and over. Quick bandaids, no long term vision. No patience. No hope.

f*** this f***ing team. f*** Rutherford, f*** Allvin, and most of all f*** Aquilini. What a f***ing slap in the f***ing face.
We’re going to keep sucking. And you know, when we start to reap the benefits from said sucking, and the future looks bright again, we will f*** it up by making rash decisions and trading away assets. The Canucks under Aquilini is a perpetual cycle of suckage. There is no beginning, middle, or end. Only sucking.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I've seen it mentioned that current management are given a 1-2 year window to be a contending team. If true, ownership is the driving force behind a lot of their decisions and will not let them retool properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad