Management Thread | Is a Reckoning coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Geoff and Russ Courtnall have become quite wealthy in retirement, as real estate investors. At one point, they operated a gold mine in Peru. They actually headed up a consortium that tried to buy the Arizona Coyotes (but were outbid by Merulo). Mike Gillis was also part of that group.

As a sort of CEO, sponsor-gladhanding corporate public face I'm fine with the hire. In actual hockey ops ... I mean, a smart business thinker is obviously a better choice than Jim Benning, but you can do better.

I dont think Courtnall would be the GM...he is a very sucessful business man offers other things

They have a lot to figure out. They will also be running a farm team locally and have to build that from scracth

Reactions: Jay Cee

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Geoff Courtnall has done what exactly in 20 years since retiring to qualify him as a high-ranking NHL executive? Coached a BCHL team?

I'd also say that in the #metoo era, this would be a dangerous hiring given the events in Washington in 1990.

Just being friends with a billionaire will get you far. Plus having that 1994 alumni card gets you far in Vancouver.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Gillis rumors are sickening
I don’t think his name has ever been mentioned as a potential possibility to come back here by a credible reporter, I could be wrong though. It’s mostly fan driven.

Edit: never mind look at the post below me lol

Last edited:
Reactions: RussianRacket

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Geoff Courtnall has done what exactly in 20 years since retiring to qualify him as a high-ranking NHL executive? Coached a BCHL team?

I'd also say that in the #metoo era, this would be a dangerous hiring given the events in Washington in 1990.

Geoff Courtnall is a very very boring choice to be a top exec I agree.

Is just an allegation of sexual assault a death sentence these days though? They denied it, grad jury did not even pursue charges. This is ancient history. Does no one have the right to due process anymore?

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Maybe it's just a long day at work, but I cracked up at the idea of going from "Anyone but Benning!" to hearing Courtnall's name and going" Oh God, not him!". :laugh:

What a time to be a Canucks' fan.

In all seriousness; firing Benning is just the first step in righting the ship. We then need ownership to actually nail the hiring of his successor. It is absolutely possible we end up in a "from bad to worse" situation.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I understand this is exciting for a lot of people potentially, I feel terrible if so many names will lose their jobs.

That being said, no offence to Matt, I’m sure he’s a swell guy..
He has literally been wrong in every single sources report in the last like four years.

I would much rather hear this from Rick.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
To me, bringing back Gillis/Gilman makes the most sense...you get a quality GM with a lot of progressive ideas, who really wants to work in this area, is familiar with the city and the organization and would probably work for cheaper than most of the "big name" GM candidates out there...I believe he's introspective enough to learn from his previous mistakes here and will probably be a better GM for it. It's probably still a longshot for it to happen, but I would definitely welcome him back with open arms.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You would be pumped to get Gillis back?

Yes, actually. I didn’t love his last 2-3 years here. But he’s a damned smart guy, a progressive thinker, surrounds himself with good people, is a leader, and gets results.

Basically he made one huge mistake here letting Ron Delorme keep running our drafting for 3 years before making a change. Other than that he was brilliant. And has probably learned some things since.

I do not think he’ll actually be coming back, though.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Again, i dont think Courtnall is being mentioned as GM. I listened to the Welcome Matt on Sekeras and that was not my take from it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I understand this is exciting for a lot of people potentially, I feel terrible if so many names will lose their jobs.

That being said, no offence to Matt, I’m sure he’s a swell guy..
He has literally been wrong in every single sources report in the last like four years.

I would much rather hear this from Rick.

The only people losing their jobs will richly deserve it and I don’t feel the least bit bad for them.

Someone like Chris Gear is probably totally safe.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Gillis has been pretty honest about how bad he botched the scouting/drafting, so at least that's something. I also think he would be back only as President based on what he has said in interviews.

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Again, i dont think Courtnall is being mentioned as GM. I listened to the Welcome Matt on Sekeras and that was not my take from it.

I just listened to it as well....he made it sound more like a potential "President" role...didn't specify if it would be Hockey Ops President or Business Ops, or both...just that the vacancies were still there and he might be the guy to fill one or both...possibly.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Yes, actually. I didn’t love his last 2-3 years here. But he’s a damned smart guy, a progressive thinker, surrounds himself with good people, is a leader, and gets results.

Basically he made one huge mistake here letting Ron Delorme keep running our drafting for 3 years before making a change. Other than that he was brilliant. And has probably learned some things since.

I do not think he’ll actually be coming back, though.

Yes I mostly agree. When i have heard Gillis interviewed since he is a smart guy who learns at how to improve and I think he knows drafting was his downfall.

I would put my faith back in him and think he could be better second time around. Would be a relief to have a cerebral GM after 7 years of something far less than that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gillis has been pretty good honest about how bad he botched the scouting/drafting, so at least that's something. I also think he would be back only as President based on what he has said in interviews.

The fact that Gillis was perceived as ‘arrogant’ is one of the weirdest things ever to me. He was the exact opposite aside from not suffering some of the fools in the media here. Benning, by contrast is one of the most arrogant people I’ve ever seen.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I would love Gillis to come back, just dont let him be in charge of drafting.

It's too bad Brackett isn't still here.

Besides our drafting was bad before Gillis got here. If you removed Gillis' contributions, we would be tied for the most drafts with nothing to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille