Management Thread | Is a Reckoning coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Geoff and Russ Courtnall have become quite wealthy in retirement, as real estate investors. At one point, they operated a gold mine in Peru. They actually headed up a consortium that tried to buy the Arizona Coyotes (but were outbid by Merulo). Mike Gillis was also part of that group.

As a sort of CEO, sponsor-gladhanding corporate public face I'm fine with the hire. In actual hockey ops ... I mean, a smart business thinker is obviously a better choice than Jim Benning, but you can do better.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Am not gonna speculate who will replace who, or who'd be the best for the job just yet. Im sort of encouraged by all the smoke these past few days, now we must wait if the fire rises.

Reactions: vanuck

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
My fandom has been beaten down so much the past few years that I'm almost at the point that I don't care who replaces Jim, just that change might be coming.

Also when I hear Courtnall's name brought up and his connection to Mike Gillis it makes me wonder if there is an avenue for Mike to return in some form.

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Haha I can just imagine Frank the filthy caj begging for Jim’s professional life “but he got us Pettersson and Hughes!”

Reactions: PM and Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Haha I can just imagine Frank the filthy caj begging for Jim’s professional life “but he got us Pettersson and Hughes!”
Hughes is literally a pylon on half the ice and his net impact is overall negative and undeserving of a huge commitment.

The defense is absolute shambles.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hughes is literally a pylon on half the ice and his net impact is overall negative and undeserving of a huge commitment.

The defense is absolute shambles.

I mean in his rookie season he was a legit top pairing Dmen. I think these Hughes takes are gonna age like some Boeser takes last season.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I mean in his rookie season he was a legit top pairing Dmen. I think these Hughes takes are gonna age like some Boeser takes last season.
I’m willing to eat crow on it.

If he turns into a Krug type guy, give me shit.

If he remains a Barrie/Yandle, I’m going to be sad about it.

Reactions: canuckking1

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Very interesting point by Sekeres just now that it's not just Linden that hasn't been replaced; Jeff Stipec hasn't either. The latter is definitely the bigger loss for the organization..

Didn't Trent Carroll replace him?

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
My fandom has been beaten down so much the past few years that I'm almost at the point that I don't care who replaces Jim, just that change might be coming.

Also when I hear Courtnall's name brought up and his connection to Mike Gillis it makes me wonder if there is an avenue for Mike to return in some form.

Tony Gallagher and Geoff Courtnall convinced Aqua in one dinner, that Gillis was the man he needs.

It worked out well, I suppose.

But having Courtnall as a POHO doesn't make much sense other than he's Aqua's buddy. But at the same time, the likelihood of Gillis coming back is high if indeed Courtnall is brought into the org.

Reactions: PM and lindgren

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I’m willing to eat crow on it.

If he turns into a Krug type guy, give me shit.

If he remains a Barrie/Yandle, I’m going to be sad about it.
When a guy like Schmidt looks worse playing in this “system” than he has in any recent season and a guy like Tanev has a great year after just an alright season in this “system” last year then I think we should be open to get real possibility that this coaching staff and their “system” is very flawed.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Dammit. Missed out on naming the thread. I was going to go with Management Thread: The Purge Edition. Maybe next time.

PertinentGroundedAfricancivet-max-1mb.gif

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Not because he’s one of the worst GMs in NHL history but because the fans have finally turned. Jesus.

Whatver, I’ll take it.
Not surprising. That was their main motivation for firing Gillis as well, the casuals were convinced that Gillis was the anti-Christ by his last few months here and now even they’re done buying the “hockey guy” Benning sales pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad