Management Thread | Inconceivable Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
I never got a response to this.

I actually was posting in good faith here -- I'm legitimately curious what it would take for some posters to advocate for Benning getting fired. How much rope does he get?

I won't advocate anything but I can give you my opinion.

Possibly if they miss this year and probably if they miss the next as well.

That being said, if they make the playoffs again this year, maybe make some noise, then you guys might as well get used to him.

Last edited:

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
If you guys think we’re bad, look at the Canadiens PGT. Everyone is screaming and swearing at each other, it’s like a 4th grade fight.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I don't think it's controversial to say that Benning's drafting has been average or good. Gillis was awful, yes, we've been over that. But why does Benning have 1000 more responsibilities if we are just going to say "but drafting".

He's had 7 drafts to right that ship, you'd think we'd be done by now. We don't need a drafting guy if he's supposedly fixed the department. We need a guy who can supplement the high-end talent he's drafted, a guy who can acquire cost-effective players to put us over the top.
Like Miller and Schmidt? pretty much every post I do is defending Benning when I would give him a 3 out of 10 for 2014 to 2017. There is no defense of him pre Petterson. Boeser, Demko and lack of assets moved him up to 3 as most everything else was bad. 2017 on I would give him 7.5. Only the ufa have been a problem recently and the progress of Hughes and Petterson along with trades for Miller and Schmidt more than outdid those mistakes. This team has a core now that except for Edler and Horvat was all Benning made. The rot will fall away from the core the next two years and this team with a couple additions on d could be a contender year in year out. People are still upset about the early years and do not appreciate the potential this team has right now. The present situation should change interpretation of the past and the future

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I’d imagine most team’s completely churn over their personnel in 7 seasons. It’s not really praise worthy. You get free draft picks every year.

Reactions: I am toxic

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
This is a CBA-related question: Is it true that players with one-way contract who are waived to the AHL are not subject to the 30-40% NHL contract escrow?

Not sure if this is true, but if true, then Baertschi is probably having the time of his life in Utica. Also it would explain why the Nucks may be saving money on Erickson's contract by not waving him.

Together with the rumour that the Nucks were unable to insure Ferland's contract and the Spooner buyout, does it indicate there is a degree of mismanagement in the Nucks front office?

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Sometimes I sit back and think, man what the hell did we do to deserve Boeser, Petya, Hughes, Hoglander, Pod, and more?

And ya'll wanna fire this guy. SMH.
Well for one I think we deserve a few nice things to make up for multiple top 10 picks flushed down the toilet. I also think we deserve a little sump’n sump’n for watching $12,000,000 of LOL either taking endless penalties/sit in the press box. That time we watched Benning ice the worst team in the nhl over a 3+ year stretch- that one definitely earned us a little goodwill. You know the rest of what can go here.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This is a CBA-related question: Is it true that players with one-way contract who are waived to the AHL are not subject to the 30-40% NHL contract escrow?

Not sure if this is true, but if true, then Baertschi is probably having the time of his life in Utica. Also it would explain why the Nucks may be saving money on Erickson's contract by not waving him.

Together with the rumour that the Nucks were unable to insure Ferland's contract and the Spooner buyout, does it indicate there is a degree of mismanagement in the Nucks front office?
How does the existence of a league rule instituted before the pandemic and before Eriksson and Baertschi's contracts were signed that no one could have anticipated would be relevant today indicate mismanagement?

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
How does the existence of a league rule instituted before the pandemic and before Eriksson and Baertschi's contracts were signed that no one could have anticipated would be relevant today indicate mismanagement?

Because competent management never would have signed those contracts in the first place. Alas, here we are.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Like Miller and Schmidt? pretty much every post I do is defending Benning when I would give him a 3 out of 10 for 2014 to 2017. There is no defense of him pre Petterson. Boeser, Demko and lack of assets moved him up to 3 as most everything else was bad. 2017 on I would give him 7.5. Only the ufa have been a problem recently and the progress of Hughes and Petterson along with trades for Miller and Schmidt more than outdid those mistakes. This team has a core now that except for Edler and Horvat was all Benning made. The rot will fall away from the core the next two years and this team with a couple additions on d could be a contender year in year out. People are still upset about the early years and do not appreciate the potential this team has right now. The present situation should change interpretation of the past and the future

If Benning hadn't signed a bunch of deadweight depth players to overpriced contracts 2-3 years ago the Canucks might have been able to add a free agent or two this season and compete for the Stanley Cup. That's one aspect of the "present situation" which you say should change interpretation of the past and the future.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That isn't what you said. You claimed posters had compared the two GMs' first round record without recognizing the difference between lottery picks and late firsts, which no one has done and which would be ridiculous. People do point out that Gillis' drafting in the first round was terrible, which is true, and that Benning has has a fair bit of success in the first round with picks that include lottery pics, which is also true. In any case, as another poster pointed out, Benning's late first round picks have been vastly more successful than Gillis' so there's a basis of comparison that doesn't require finding an equivalency between lottery picks and late firsts.

I really should have expected to walk into another debate based on semantics that misses the overall point, so that’s on me.

Person A is smart. Person B is dumb. “No one is saying Person A is smarter than Person B.” Basically this disagreement in a nutshell.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

I am referring to Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Myers & Benn and Baertschi and Spooner's contracts?

Canucks gave up Schaller, Madden, 2nd Rd pick for 17 games out of Toffoli.
Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom, Stetcher left for nothing.

Every game they play they have approximately 13M in Eriksson, Baertschi, Spooner (and Luongo) dead weight salaries cap as a barrier to their success.

On most nights, Canucks only ice a team worth approximately 68M in annual salaries against teams, generally able to ice 81M worth of Salary cap.

I think this constitutes gross incompetence with or without a pandemic.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

Put another way, while no one (other than epidemiological history nerds) could have anticipated a global pandemic, pretty much every Benning critic on HFCanucks anticipated that these contracts would turn out to be bad for the Canucks in the long run.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I really should have expected to walk into another debate based on semantics that misses the overall point, so that’s on me.

Person A is smart. Person B is dumb. “No one is saying Person A is smarter than Person B.” Basically this disagreement in a nutshell.
This isn't semantics, and you constantly say that when caught out. The point I took issue with was literally the central point of the post I responded to, and it was a claim that Benning supporters weren't distinguishing the value of lottery picks and late firsts when comparing the drafting performance of Gillis and Benning. This is ludicrous and no one is doing it.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I am referring to Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Myers & Benn and Baertschi and Spooner's contracts?

Every game they play they have approximately 13M in Eriksson, Baertschi, Spooner (and Luongo) dead weight salaries cap as a barrier to their success.

On most nights, Canucks only ice a team worth approximately 68M in annual salaries against teams, generally able to ice 81M worth of Salary cap.

Now you're falling back on old chestnuts you know pretty much everyone agrees with anyway. Your post pretty clearly suggested that ignoring elements of the CBA that couldn't possibly have been anticipated to have an effect on the team's expenses constitutes mismanagement. Everyone knows those contracts suck. You're straining to somehow add additional culpability in ways that don't make any sense.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This isn't semantics, and you constantly say that when caught out. The point I took issue with was literally the central point of the post I responded to, and it was a claim that Benning supporters weren't distinguishing the value of lottery picks and late firsts when comparing the drafting performance of Gillis and Benning. This is ludicrous and no one is doing it.

Sometimes, I wonder to myself what HFCanucks would look like if you decided to flip your bias for a couple of weeks.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

If that was the only relevant aspect of management it absolutely would constitute gross incompetence. But drafting-- also part of management-- has produced RoY finalists in each of the last three seasons and now there's a D+2 2nd-round choice who out of the gate looks like he has a legitimate chance to make it four in a row. Overall, it's mediocrity of a polarized kind.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Sometimes, I wonder to myself what HFCanucks would look like if you decided to flip your bias for a couple of weeks.
My bias is against shitty, disingenuous arguments advanced by people smart enough to know they're bullshit and willing to attack people who take issue with them. One side, despite being generally correct, makes far more of them and is quicker to attack anyone who points out their flaws. I think this is probably a bigger problem here than the presence of posters who overlook Benning's flaws and generally have a far more benign way of dealing with disagreement.

Reactions: nowhereman

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Without semantics, we are left only with revisionist history.

And appeal to the old boys club. Never forget that.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

People dunk on Gillis for his bad drafting (majority of picks in the mid-late 20s overall) and praise Benning for his picks (majority in the top 10). If you think that no one on here has said Benning is better at drafting than Gillis, then you haven't been following this board very closely. Up until this season, Benning had really only hit on Gaudette outside of the 1st round, so yes, the comparison is essentially comparing the GM's drafting abilities based on their 1st round results.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
My bias is against shitty, disingenuous arguments advanced by people smart enough to know they're bullshit and willing to attack people who take issue with them. One side, despite being generally correct, makes far more of them and is quicker to attack anyone who points out their flaws. I think this is probably a bigger problem here than the presence of posters who overlook Benning's flaws and generally have a far more benign way of dealing with disagreement.
Fortunately you are here to restore balance to the forc . . . forum.

By whatever means necessary.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
People dunk on Gillis for his bad drafting (majority of picks in the mid-late 20s overall) and praise Benning for his picks (majority in the top 10). If you think that no one on here has said Benning is better at drafting than Gillis, then you haven't been following this board very closely. Up until this season, Benning had really only hit on Gaudette outside of the 1st round, so yes, the comparison is essentially between 1st round picks.
None of this suggests that the people making these claims believe that the act of drafting a good player in the lottery is equivalent to drafting a similarly good player late in the first round. You make claims like this to dunk on people. Then, you back away and call it semantics when people question whether they make any sense, and pretend they're the ones twisting details to undermine you when it's more or less the other way around.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
None of this suggests that the people making these claims believe that the act of drafting a good player in the lottery is equivalent to drafting a similarly good player late in the first round. You make claims like this to dunk on people. Then, you back away and call it semantics when people question whether they make any sense, and pretend they're the ones twisting details to undermine you when it's more or less the other way around.

It's not my fault people don't qualify their comparisons by adding in a line saying "I know Benning has drafted much higher than Gillis, but..."
If they did that to preface their opinion, then you'd have a point here.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

This is one of the most unintentionally hilarious posts I think you've ever made.

Reactions: HedonisticAltruism

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why has Benning traded away so many high picks, especially since we were in a rebuilding phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille