Management Thread | Inconceivable Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i think for shiro and grabner, it was basically understood that there's a top six wing job up for grabs. if you can steal raymond's job, it's yours. but you're not going to get the spot that hansen ended up getting.

with shiro, that made sense. i feel like AV made a miscalculation on grabner though, and he probably was groomed wrong given where our team was in the late 2000s. with his speed and decent size he could have been a great fourth liner on the 2011 team instead of as a top six or bust scorer.

Grabner was given a pretty good look by AV in 09-10. He would have played a lot more games if he didn't hurt his knee playing hacky-sack outside the dressing room during his first stint with the club earlier in the season. He was then put on the 4th line in the playoffs ahead of Tanner Glass. And then traded. But at the point where he was traded, he was getting into the lineup pretty regularly. Totally different than Shirokov who was given no look but really had nowhere to be put, either.

Reactions: 420Canuck

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
How about we don't trade him to the Flames. We already gifted them Marky and Tanev.
We should try to trade him for some help on defence. Keep him out of Canada. If you trade him in the division you can bet that he will be motivated every time he plays the Canucks. I don't want him to paste Petey and Hughes into the boards.

i feel like trading virtanen to calgary would be a lot like when we traded SOB to nashville

a potential double win if we ever meet in the playoffs someday

but then i don't believe jake is capable of being motivated by anything ever

likash

Apr 17, 2019
I don't know man. A line with Tkachuk-Lindholm-Jake would be nasty to play against. There is a posibility that Jake wakes up after beeing traded.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i think for shiro and grabner, it was basically understood that there's a top six wing job up for grabs. if you can steal raymond's job, it's yours. but you're not going to get the spot that hansen ended up getting.

with shiro, that made sense. i feel like AV made a miscalculation on grabner though, and he probably was groomed wrong given where our team was in the late 2000s. with his speed and decent size he could have been a great fourth liner on the 2011 team instead of as a top six or bust scorer.
A wellwood-demitra-Bernier combination on the 3rd line was probably as good as a lot of 2nd lines skill wise too the season prior.

Reactions: HedonisticAltruism

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't know man. A line with Tkachuk-Lindholm-Jake would be nasty to play against. There is a posibility that Jake wakes up after beeing traded.
Jake wouldn’t know where to go or what to do with them anymore than he does with our good players.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008
I think a couple 30+ point seasons had also an impact. Much like when Garrison hit 16 goals (and 30+ points) in his last season as a Bolt. Myers was never known (to my knowledge) as particularly great defensively prior to being a Canuck (and his play as a Canucks hasn't caused me to change my mind on that). Offense tends to carry a premium value in free agency.
You're right... maybe it's just the Canucks need more 'tanev's to balance all our 'offensive' D-men. So, I guess I can't fault Benning as much since he couldn't have predicted how quickly Hughes would become a Norris contender (yeah, his d-game still needs a bit of work but it's always points that end up being the most important factor) and the Nate Schmidt gift.

I still don't like the contract but it's definitely more of a 'Ballard' level of discontent now given where we are.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
You're right... maybe it's just the Canucks need more 'tanev's to balance all our 'offensive' D-men. So, I guess I can't fault Benning as much since he couldn't have predicted how quickly Hughes would become a Norris contender (yeah, his d-game still needs a bit of work but it's always points that end up being the most important factor) and the Nate Schmidt gift.

I still don't like the contract but it's definitely more of a 'Ballard' level of discontent now given where we are.
Hughes isn’t close to being a Norris contender.

All the Norris Winners even your Subban, Burns, Karlsson type offensive winners have massive positive goal differentials at 5 on 5 in top pairing to top 4 minutes.

Quinn is barely break even and is now getting the Ehrhoff soft 3rd pair minutes treatment right now.

Quinn is amazing. Unlike any player we’ve ever had. But he’s not close to being up for that aware on merit.

They should create a Bobby Orr award that goes to the top scoring Dman like the art Ross. But Norris’ need to go to defensman who can adequately defend good players consistently. He’s not close to that yet.

Reactions: Shattered Dreams

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Jake wouldn’t know where to go or what to do with them anymore than he does with our good players.
Don’t be so sure about that.

Jake likes money and starting fresh in a new org could be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Get him out of our division 100%

HedonisticAltruism

Sep 26, 2008

All the Norris Winners even your Subban, Burns, Karlsson type offensive winners have massive positive goal differentials at 5 on 5 in top pairing to top 4 minutes.

Quinn is barely break even and is now getting the Ehrhoff soft 3rd pair minutes treatment right now.

Quinn is amazing. Unlike any player we’ve ever had. But he’s not close to being up for that aware on merit.

They should create a Bobby Orr award that goes to the top scoring Dman like the art Ross. But Norris’ need to go to defensman who can adequately defend good players consistently. He’s not close to that yet.

You're right, but at the end of the day, points still has a gigantic influence on it. Quinn will get votes though, assuming he keeps up a similar point pace. If the Canucks sort out their D to be consistently more like the WPG game, he'll get a lot more looks. The absolutely should have two separate categories though, especially since forwards get the Selke.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Score effect. Canucks lead the majority of the last 4 games.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I've said before that I don't think Jake will truly find his game, if at all, until he leaves Vancouver. He needs to go somewhere that isn't home, isn't where all his friends are etc where he can just put his head down and work.

That being said Calgary isn't going to do that for him either, but at that point he isn't our problems anymore.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I think Bobby was plus 100 and something one year, while putting up bushels of points too. He was such an amazing offensive talent we look over he was fabulous defensively too. He was the best at both, while he had knees.
Maybe a Paul Coffee award to the top scoring D man?

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I think Bobby was plus 100 and something one year, while putting up bushels of points too. He was such an amazing offensive talent we look over he was fabulous defensively too. He was the best at both, while he had knees.
Maybe a Paul Coffee award to the top scoring D man?
Orr was a reasonable fighter as well. Granted being on the Bruins tended one to play "bigger" than they actually were.

As well, I can separate the player as he was on the ice vs his politics.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Canucks season:

game 1: decent effort but it was the Oilers.

game 2: got an angry McDavid and didn’t play well.

Game 3 and 4: unacceptable efforts

games 5, 6 and 7: one win but 3 unacceptable defensive efforts.

games 8, 9, and 10m wins and game 10 was good. However, defensively games 8 and 9 were not good ones. A lot of chances given to a bad team.

Game 11: poor first period but a strong final 40.

Game 12: unacceptable

I don’t use the word unacceptable lightly. But you are up to 7 or so unacceptable efforts in the first 12 games. So as I asked in the game thread...when do the pink slips start?

Last edited:

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Canucks season:

games 8, 9, and 10m wins and game 10 was good. However, defensively games 8 and 9 were not good ones. A lot of chances given to a bad team.

I don’t use the word unacceptable lightly. But you are up to 7 or so unacceptable efforts in the first 12 games. So as I asked in the game thread...when do the pick slips start?
Team just not that great

Reactions: mriswith

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Canucks season:

I don’t use the word unacceptable lightly. But you are up to 7 or so unacceptable efforts in the first 12 games. So as I asked in the game thread...when do the pick slips start?
They have 32M in wasted cap on players who don't contribute much/anything at all. 38% of the cap on useless or nearly useless players.

18M of that gets healthy scratched or doesn't even play the games where that money literally doesn't even touch the ice. That's 22% of the cap, or more than 1/5th of it.

We play every game with roughly 1/5th the cap never touching the ice, that's like playing 4v5 every game against a cap neutral team. They enter every game with a hand tied behind their back. Arguably both hands tied behind their back.

At what point is it effort and at what point is it old players lacking talent? Our goalies can only make a chicken salad out of chicken dump so many times.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They have 32M in wasted cap on players who don't contribute much/anything at all. 38% of the cap on useless or nearly useless players.

18M of that gets healthy scratched or doesn't even play the games where that money literally doesn't even touch the ice. That's 22% of the cap, or more than 1/5th of it.

We play every game with roughly 1/5th the cap never touching the ice, that's like playing 4v5 every game against a cap neutral team. They enter every game with a hand tied behind their back. Arguably both hands tied behind their back.

At what point is it effort and at what point is it old players lacking talent? Our goalies can only make a chicken salad out of chicken dump so many times.

Again, our asset management has been inconceivably terrible.

And again, Toffoli is giving Jimmy his middle finger.

And yet again, Jimmy deserves every minute of it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

When I’m talking effort I’m including the coaching staff who clearly aren’t doing anything to fix things. Some of it is on players.

But certainly it’s lack of talent...on the ice, behind the bench and in the front office.

Reactions: Mr4legs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad