Management Thread | Inconceivable Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This is either a troll or you have no idea how much corporations dig and actively keep tabs on what potential employees online presence is like.

Like, leaking privileged information is one of the biggest things a corporate environment would care about lol

Gonna assume it’s the first one
But ... that isn't what happened. The letter being online isn't part of Gillis' "online presence" or anything like that. It's a letter that was on his computer that his son found and posted for attention. And it wasn't privileged information, didn't belong to the team, and didn't even contain any information about the team or a single statement or position specific to the team, just boilerplate stuff he could have sent to any team. This a long, elaborate cover letter. I'm sure Gillis is embarrassed and pissed off, but I very much doubt the Penguins would have reservations about hiring him based on this.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
In his last draft, Gillis turned Schneider into a 9th round pick into Bo Horvat.

Benning had to be over-ruled to get Petey.

- IAT, Founding Member of the Cabal of HFGillis and Haters of All Things Benning and Generally Being Toxic
And got Markstrom and Matthias for a very very disgruntled Luongo.

That's magic right there.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
But ... that isn't what happened. The letter being online isn't part of Gillis' "online presence" or anything like that. It's a letter that was on his computer that his son found and posted for attention. And it wasn't privileged information, didn't belong to the team, and didn't even contain any information about the team or a single statement or position specific to the team, just boilerplate stuff he could have sent to any team. This a long, elaborate cover letter. I'm sure Gillis is embarrassed and pissed off, but I very much doubt the Penguins would have reservations about hiring him based on this.

It's pretty unprofessional to have your son leak a document that is literally labeled "confidential" and if you don't think that it isn't a good look for Gillis I dunno what to tell you.

And I say that as someone who is a huge fan of Gillis and would like to see him working again in the NHL.

Reactions: I am toxic

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
It's pretty unprofessional to have your son leak a document that is literally labeled "confidential" and if you don't think that it isn't a good look for Gillis I dunno what to tell you.

And I say that as someone who is a huge fan of Gillis and would like to see him working again in the NHL.
Wait ... so you guys think he had his son leak the document? Okay, now this makes sense. I don't think this is a particularly bad look because I don't think that's what happened. Also -- he's the one who labelled the document "confidential."

Finally, he probably didn't even write this for the Penguins specifically, let alone at their behest. Rutherford resigned today, and the letter is thousands of words long. This is literally Gillis' resume in Google Slides form. The Penguins probably aren't even the first team to have seen some form of it.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Hopefully Ottawa hires him when Dorion gets fired for getting less than 10 wins this season.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Wait ... so you guys think he had his son leak the document? Okay, now this makes sense. I don't think this is a particularly bad look because I don't think that's what happened. Also -- he's the one who labelled the document "confidential."

Ugh.

Fine, he didn't "leak" the document, he "accidentally posted it on Twitter."

Whatever verbiage you want to use, it still reflects badly.

Like, why the f*** does his son have access to it in the first place?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Like, I think the Penguins, if they even know about it, would probably be like "Hey, uh, so this isn't going to be a problem right?" But I doubt that it would literally cost him a chance at a job. It's more just kinda embarrassing for him to be honest.

Guys, for real, this thing is 90% quotes of Gillis from a half dozen interviews that he's done since being fired that he links to at the end, with like a cover letter on the front and an org chart. It's not really that exciting.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Like, I think the Penguins, if they even know about it, would probably be like "Hey, uh, so this isn't going to be a problem right?" But I doubt that it would literally cost him a chance at a job. It's more just kinda embarrassing for him to be honest.

Guys, for real, this thing is 90% quotes of Gillis from a half dozen interviews that he's done since being fired that he links to at the end, with like a cover letter on the front and an org chart. It's not really that exciting.
Exactly.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
lol

40EEB337-CECC-4289-9C83-442F3BD495BB.jpeg

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Ugh.

Fine, he didn't "leak" the document, he "accidentally posted it on Twitter."
No, this isn't the distinction I'm making. I'm saying his son did this independently. Does it seem in character for Mike Gillis to have his son publicize something like this by posting it to Twitter? And then quoting Jake Virtanen by way of explanation?

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
No, this isn't the distinction I'm making. I'm saying his son did this independently. Does it seem in character for Mike Gillis to have his son publicize something like this by posting it to Twitter? And then quoting Jake Virtanen by way of explanation?

To answer your questions,

No and no.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Then why do you believe that's what he did? Have I misunderstood your position?

I don't understand what you're getting at.

For whatever reason, an internal document made its way onto the Internet. Since "leak" is a no no word because we're arguing semantics, I'll simply state that the document's 'existence' on the Internet came from Gillis' side. The Penguins organization wasn't responsible for the document being found publicly on the Internet. The document was labeled 'confidential.'

Putting something 'confidential' on the Internet is unprofessional, regardless of the reasons. Do I think that it is extremely severe? No.

But do I think that it's unprofessional to have a potential employee's son both have access to and releasing a confidential document onto the Internet? Yes. I'd also be wondering why he had access to it in the first place, what his motivations were for publishing it hours after the news came out that our team's GM was stepping down and so on and so forth.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

For whatever reason, an internal document made its way onto the Internet. Since "leak" is a no no word because we're arguing semantics, I'll simply state that the document's 'existence' on the Internet came from Gillis' side. The Penguins organization wasn't responsible for the document being found publicly on the Internet. The document was labeled 'confidential.'

Putting something 'confidential' on the Internet is unprofessional, regardless of the reasons. Do I think that it is extremely severe? No.

But do I think that it's unprofessional to have a potential employee's son both have access to and releasing a confidential document onto the Internet? Yes. I'd also be wondering why he had access to it in the first place, what his motivations were for publishing it hours after the news came out that our team's GM was stepping down and so on and so forth.

What people are responding to is your use of "to have" above and a few similar phrases elsewhere. It reads as implying that Gillis deliberately "had" his son do this. I don't think that's what you mean, but that's how the phrase is being interpreted, I believe.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
What people are responding to is your use of "to have" above and a few similar phrases elsewhere. It reads as implying that Gillis deliberately "had" his son do this. I don't think that's what you mean, but that's how the phrase is being interpreted, I believe.

I don't think that Gillis ordered his son to shit post on Twitter, no, but he's still responsible for the document coming out, regardless of whether he intended for it to be or not.

Again, why the f*** does his son have access to this stuff?

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
You said two things, that it was likely Gillis had his son leak a document on Twitter and that it would be out of character for Gillis to have his son leak a document on Twitter. I was pointing out this inconsistency.

Again -- "confidential" is a word Gillis himself put on the document to make it clear he'd rather it not be shared. It doesn't reflect anyone else's interests or desires. The Penguins don't care that Gillis's son posted his father's resume to Twitter.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
You said two things, that it was likely Gillis had his son leak a document on Twitter and that it would be out of character for Gillis to have his son leak a document on Twitter. I was pointing out this inconsistency.

I didn't say that. I said Gillis is responsible for the document finding its way onto the Internet, not that he ordered his son to do so.

Again -- "confidential" is a word Gillis himself put on the document to make it clear he'd rather it not be shared. It doesn't reflect anyone else's interests or desires. The Penguins don't care that Gillis's son posted his father's resume to Twitter.

Agree to disagree, then. I think it's unprofessional to find out your son is shit posting work documents on Twitter.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I didn't say that. I said Gillis is responsible for the document finding its way onto the Internet, not that he ordered his son to do so.

Agree to disagree, then. I think it's unprofessional to find out your son is shit posting work documents on Twitter.
Okay, I can see now how you might have meant that phrase. I do think it's pretty silly to get hung up on the word "confidential." It's just a word the guy put there and the team wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I’ve thought about it and I think his “two scouting departments” idea is a bad one.

It would be a nightmare to manage, impossible to prevent cross contamination, and any benefits you get from “avoiding groupthink” is wiped out by the adversarial and potentially somewhat toxic environment it could foster. Too, in situations of conflict, would probably cause you to bias one team over the other based on early results and small sample size.

I’m willing to be sold on it as a fake owner of a team, but after thinking about it this evening, I don’t think it would work. I think a unified department where performance is strictly evaluated and acted upon is likely to work out better in the long run.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
( I might be a bit biased having worked in a supporting department to scouting and the idea of having TWO different scouting teams you’d have to support and somehow keep their data separate sounds annoying af to me, lol)

Reactions: vancityluongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad