Management Thread | Inconceivable Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If you took everything we've gleaned from Benning's philosophies and took the exact opposite stance, that's what the document looks like.

Reactions: Jyrki21

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
A 27 page presentation for how Gillis would run the Penguins as President of hockey ops. Entire structure. More of a slide show than in depth but showed org charts and core values and that type of thing.
I would be curious if there is anything on multiple GM's/AGM's to handle different aspects of the biz. iirc Gillis talked about that in an interview on 1040, several years after his departure as GM of the Canucks.

however, since it is confidential, I can leave it be

for now

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Anything on multiple GM's/AGM's to handle different aspects of the biz? iirc Gillis talked about that in an interview on 1040, several years after his departure as GM of the Canucks.

also @Burke's Evil Spirit

Yes, specifically breaks down roles, and cites having an AGM who knows the cap of every team inside and out, and what to expect with future CBAs so that they can best position themselves to adapt to it (see Luongo recapture).

The concept of having two separate scouting teams that create their own lists is really interesting.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Yes, specifically breaks down roles, and cites having an AGM who knows the cap of every team inside and out, and what to expect with future CBAs so that they can best position themselves to adapt to it (see Luongo recapture).

The concept of having two separate scouting teams that create their own lists is really interesting.

I . . . I . . . I just can't comprehend proactive, out of the box thinking that appear to mirror best practices, continuous improvement . . .

. . . and then reflect on our current . . . . whatever you call Benning and Weisbrod . . . mismanagement?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
A 27 page presentation for how Gillis would run the Penguins as President of hockey ops. Entire structure. More of a slide show than in depth but showed org charts and core values and that type of thing.

Just skimming through it, it's refreshing and interesting to read his take.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
No more Gillis, one of the worst drafting gm’s in league history.
He has acknowledged the poor amateur record for years and does so again in this document and suggests how to fix it.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
He has acknowledged the poor amateur record for years and does so again in this document and suggests how to fix it.

Having two scouting staffs is an intriguing idea. I'd be interested to see if his drafting improves with these measures, and not having Ron Delorme in charge of scouting.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Having two scouting staffs is an intriguing idea. I'd be interested to see if his drafting improves with these measures, and not having Ron Delorme in charge of scouting.

Although this makes me think of the same thing I think about when people say Benning has been better since 2017. When Samwell Tarly is first getting trained by the Night's watch and says that he won't get any better, and Jon Snow says you can't get any worse.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah that's definitely the most interesting part.

The idea of having two completely independent scouting departments evaluating the same players... that would be pretty difficult to manage. I am a skeptic (but it's interesting.)
A/B testing/scouting.

The theory is sound and could be executed with a well designed program structure supported by the right IT infrastructure (beyond excel).

Reactions: MarkMM

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The biggest thing I took away from that document wasn't that depth chart, nor the desire for constant innovation, or even the human performance aspect (which is classic Gillis)... It was the repeated, consistent emphasis on laying out a strong scientific foundation for all decision-making. That's the kind of approach you want to see in people running an organization worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I wonder what the impact of that leak is on Gillis' chances for the position. You can't think this was just leaked without consideration that it could cost the job, Spencer seems to have a good relationship with his dad based on his past tweets, and the cheeky Jake Virtanen reference after deleting doesn't quite seem like someone who just had a strip torn off them.

Gotta think that teams don't like that either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad