Management Thread | Inconceivable Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Nothing wrong with Crayon as long as you color within the lines.

Yeah, but at least spell your name right.

giphy.gif

Reactions: mathonwy

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I wonder what the impact of that leak is on Gillis' chances for the position. You can't think this was just leaked without consideration that it could cost the job, Spencer seems to have a good relationship with his dad based on his past tweets, and the cheeky Jake Virtanen reference after deleting doesn't quite seem like someone who just had a strip torn off them.

Gotta think that teams don't like that either way.

I could see them being a touch concerned with hiring someone whose son likes to post confidential stuff online.

Reactions: I am toxic

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I find it funny how some people will in the same breath talk about how Benning has improved in some areas and then drag Gillis through the mud about his drafting record.

Like there's no chance he's improved on it? Especially someone who's been open and self aware about it being a fault.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I find it funny how some people will in the same breath talk about how Benning has improved in some areas and then drag Gillis through the mud about his drafting record.

Like there's no chance he's improved on it? Especially someone who's been open and self aware about it being a fault.

In his last draft, Gillis turned Schneider into a 9th round pick into Bo Horvat.

Benning had to be over-ruled to get Petey.

- IAT, Founding Member of the Cabal of HFGillis and Haters of All Things Benning and Generally Being Toxic

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
That leak probably costs him his shot at the job. Unfortunate.

There's nothing new in there that he hasn't talked about in interviews other than the two scouting departments, which I thought was interesting. If he'd done that in Vancouver and pitted the old guard vs new guard, he'd have been able to fire the old guard much faster by comparing lists over a few years.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

There's nothing new in there that he hasn't talked about in interviews other than the two scouting departments, which I thought was interesting. If he'd done that in Vancouver and pitted the old guard vs new guard, he'd have been able to fire the old guard much faster by comparing lists over a few years.

I have to wonder if he knew he was already out for the Pittsburgh job and "leaked it" so any other team thinking of making a change got a look at what he's about.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Exactly why I HATE this idea of waiting til the end of the season to fire a GM.

Gives him time to make a move to save his job rather than improve for future seasons.

We need someone in here who is actively looking forward to this. I don’t think Benning is the type of guy to be able to call a GM and convince them they have a bigger problem tiothan they do and ultimately convince them to make a deal that benefits us.
Appoint a President of Hockey Operations (Linden's old job) to oversee the operation. He would have final say on any moves and, in my opinion, should allow only moves that CLEARLY benefit the club. Basically, no "save my job" moves would be allowed by the GM. At the end of the season, the PHO would appoint a new GM and Coach. Lots of available management talent at that time.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Appoint a President of Hockey Operations (Linden's old job) to oversee the operation. He would have final say on any moves and, in my opinion, should allow only moves that CLEARLY benefit the club. Basically, no "save my job" moves would be allowed by the GM. At the end of the season, the PHO would appoint a new GM and Coach. Lots of available management talent at that time.
I'm now thinking we have to consider Gillis for this position. He would be a breath of fresh air compared to where we are now.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
How do you figure? It doesn't reveal anything damaging, confidential or even surprising about either the team or Gillis himself and he had nothing to do with leaking it. If they were inclined to hire him I'm sure they still will.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Brian Burke was blowing smoke toward Benning before the game. BB appears to hate the Canucks and its ownership...Schadenfreude.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
How do you figure? It doesn't reveal anything damaging, confidential or even surprising about either the team or Gillis himself and he had nothing to do with leaking it. If they were inclined to hire him I'm sure they still will.
Op sec is a job requirement, blowing op sec before you even get the job is a strike against him. Given that it was his son, he probably did have something to do with it as that's the logical route through which his son got a copy.

It doesn't mean he can't get the job but it definitely hurts him.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Op sec is a job requirement, blowing op sec before you even get the job is a strike against him. Given that it was his son, he probably did have something to do with it as that's the logical route through which his son got a copy.

It doesn't mean he can't get the job but it definitely hurts him.
So the Penguins are going to make a huge hiring decision based on whether or not Gillis locks his laptop around the house so his son can't steal his Powerpoint presentations? Does that really make any sense when you think about it?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
So the Penguins are going to make a huge hiring decision based on whether or not Gillis locks his laptop around the house so his son can't steal his Powerpoint presentations? Does that really make any sense when you think about it?
Are you seriously asking why an NHL team would be concerned about potential organizational leaks from it's president of hockey ops?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Are you seriously asking why an NHL team would be concerned about potential organizational leaks from it's president of hockey ops?
No, I'm drawing your attention to the fact that isn't what happened in this case. Gillis doesn't work for the Penguins and this wasn't organizational information and wasn't on a team laptop.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
No, I'm drawing your attention to the fact that isn't what happened in this case. Gillis doesn't work for the Penguins and this wasn't organizational information and wasn't on a team laptop.
Are you seriously pretending this wasn't an op sec leak by Gillis?

This is why I call you disingenuous. I refuse to believe you're that obtuse. You are, however, pushing that perception.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Are you seriously pretending this wasn't an op sec leak by Gillis?

This is why I call you disingenuous. I refuse to believe you're that obtuse. You are, however, pushing that perception.
Well, yes. This was an asshole teenager trying to get attention. The Penguins probably don't care and know beyond a doubt Gillis will be more careful than anyone from this point onward.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
This is either a troll or you have no idea how much corporations dig and actively keep tabs on what potential employees online presence is like.

Like, leaking privileged information is one of the biggest things a corporate environment would care about lol

Gonna assume it’s the first one

Reactions: PuckMunchkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad