Management Thread | Inconceivable Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Absolutely. There are about 25 dmen that could instantly improve this team that will be exposed in the expansion draft. That number will rise as some UFAs get extended throughout the season. This D can get retooled in a hurry ... *if* the right people are in charge.
Exactly why I HATE this idea of waiting til the end of the season to fire a GM.

Gives him time to make a move to save his job rather than improve for future seasons.

We need someone in here who is actively looking forward to this. I don’t think Benning is the type of guy to be able to call a GM and convince them they have a bigger problem than they do and ultimately convince them to make a deal that benefits us.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Exactly why I HATE this idea of waiting til the end of the season to fire a GM.

Gives him time to make a move to save his job rather than improve for future seasons.

We need someone in here who is actively looking forward to this. I don’t think Benning is the type of guy to be able to call a GM and convince them they have a bigger problem than they do and ultimately convince them to make a deal that benefits us.

Agreed. A succesful turnaround for this team includes accumulating picks at the trade deadline for veterans. Not exactly Jimbo's strength.

Reactions: Luckylarry

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
One of the canucks biggest avenues or opportunities towards improvement is their keeper slots.

They basically only have six skaters who you would lose sleep over not protecting.

I don’t think teams want to give seattle this boatload of good stuff after seeing what happened with VGK. Dumping an exposable contract to a team plus a minor future for a usable player that you want to keep can be a good avenue for us. We could add like 3-4 players via trade this way.

Someone could probably think of specific examples. Idk.

On top of that, you could theoretically get some pretty decent futures from other teams just for agreeing to protect players they want to keep and trading them back afterwards even if they're not necessarily a fit on the Canucks. There might be a lot of cap gymnastics involved given our situation but it'd be worth it.

Either way, weaponizing our protected slots would already be too big brain for this current management group. It's a nice thought, though...

Reactions: Peen and Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed. A succesful turnaround for this team includes accumulating picks at the trade deadline for veterans. Not exactly Jimbo's strength.
For a GM who says he loves the draft, and that is his bread and butter, he sure does seem to trade away a lot of picks.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
For a GM who says he loves the draft, and that is his bread and butter, he sure does seem to trade away a lot of picks.

Exactly. Tampa Bay, a team that has been trying to win cups has 54 picks since Benning was hired. Canucks had 48 in that time. Tampa Bay had 14 picks in the first 2 rounds, compared to 12 for us (and one of them was given to us for Torts). Benning has not aquire a pick in the first 2 rounds and used it since the Kesler trade and picking McCann.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
That tweet is no longer available. Can anyone summarize what it was about?
I’ve done some digging on twitter

Gillis applied for the pens job and his son accidentally posted the pdf of it.

It’s deleted from docs now.

I didn’t see it first hand.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
It looks like Mike Gillis is going to interview for the job in Pittsburgh. It was a manifesto about his managerial philosophy. Included his model org chart and an introspective section about what went wrong in Vancouver. Very well put together.
Wtf you read it?

What did he say went wrong

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That tweet is no longer available. Can anyone summarize what it was about?
A 27 page presentation for how Gillis would run the Penguins as President of hockey ops. Entire structure. More of a slide show than in depth but showed org charts and core values and that type of thing.

Reactions: PM and timw33

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Wyatt Arndt is going to have snippets of it in the Armies, apparently.
I’d bet it’s very minimal or he waits until Pittsburgh resolves that opening before anything substantial is posted by a media member.

Wouldn’t be a good look to leak a lot of it...

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I don’t want to be the one who posts it here as I’m not aware if there any legal ramifications for reposting a leaked private document..

but it is all on reddit r hockey rn

alright burke did it LMAO theres so much to chew on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: