Management Thread | Edge of Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Benning should be giving himself credit for veteran acquisitions leading the way, but it's not the guys often pointed to in the bottom-six.

JT Miller, Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, and Tyler Myers are all veterans brought in who have been extremely useful to the team this season to varying degrees.

Brandon Sutter, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, and Jay Beagle have not.

The thing that should be learned is that veterans who are good at hockey can have a big impact on the team.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
And for the bottom six, they've scored a bit less than they should. The team needs more from Gaudette and Virtanen, simple as that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Benning should be giving himself credit for veteran acquisitions leading the way, but it's not the guys often pointed to in the bottom-six.

JT Miller, Tyler Toffoli, Tanner Pearson, and Tyler Myers are all veterans brought in who have been extremely useful to the team this season to varying degrees.

The thing that should be learned is that veterans who are good at hockey can have a big impact on the team.
The makeup and 'character' of the team was obviously very important to Benning (and Green) at this point in the teams evolution (the results of the "team' in these playoffs speak for themselves).....I think Benning , Green, and Brian Burke know a thing or two in that regard,.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The makeup and 'character' of the team was obviously very important to Benning (and Green) at this point in the teams evolution (the results of the "team' in these playoffs speak for themselves).....I think Benning , Green, and Brian Burke know a thing or two in that regard,.

I think that discounting the impact of someone like JT Miller and his obvious leadership this season in order to justify some bad bottom-six contracts is a bit disrespectful to Miller. Today's not the day to be negative and I'm not about to be. I just think it's important to credit the guys who are actually important.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

That's why they paid a premium to acquire one of the worst character players in the league in Brandon Prust, paid an insane premium for Gudbranson who loved to throw teammates under the bus and never take responsibility, paid a premium for Sutter who also threw teammates under the bus and has given a lukewarm effort for the majority of his career here, etc, etc. etc.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
5715fd321600002b0031c04c.jpeg

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That's why they paid a premium to acquire one of the worst character players in the league in Brandon Prust, paid an insane premium for Gudbranson who loved to throw teammates under the bus and never take responsibility, paid a premium for Sutter who also threw teammates under the bus and has given a lukewarm effort for the majority of his career here, etc, etc. etc.

I'm frantically looking for the article where Benning pats himself on the back for poor signings in the 4 previous years.

If you run across it, please post it.

Reactions: timw33

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Pretty much this. He's definitely improved in the pro-scouting department and seems to be targeting better players than before. Key will be to somehow get rid of the junk on the roster while simultaneously attempting to upgrade where possible - the 3rd line C for starters.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Awesome...nothing like referring back to the 'compete on the fly' (Linden) era moves is there..?

That was all about salvaging an old core ..and probably a response after the physical drubbing they took at the hands of the Flames in 2015.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Pretty much this. He's definitely improved in the pro-scouting department and seems to be targeting better players than before. Key will be to somehow get rid of the junk on the roster while simultaneously attempting to upgrade where possible - the 3rd line C for starters.

For sure. With how Demko is playing this is going to be such an intriguing off-season and how the team approaches it. Hopefully it doesn't start tomorrow.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

The first 3 you mention were acquired via trade, not UFA.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.

Reactions: m9

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Thank goodness Petey has enough character to make up for two Sutters dragging the room down - and thank goodness Linden over-ruled Benning to draft him.

Reactions: Flik

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
paid a premium for Sutter who also threw teammates under the bus and has given a lukewarm effort for the majority of his career here, etc, etc. etc.

Wasn't Sutter named as the funniest guy on the team by most players? I never got the impression that Sutter was putting a luke warm effort here. Injuries were a problem but not effort. I have no issues with Sutter's effort this playoff series.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think that discounting the impact of someone like JT Miller and his obvious leadership this season in order to justify some bad bottom-six contracts is a bit disrespectful to Miller. Today's not the day to be negative and I'm not about to be. I just think it's important to credit the guys who are actually important.
Nobody's arguing that several of the bottom 6 players are overpaid....Everybody on the team (at some point) has played a role in getting where this team currently is in the playoffs..

I find the 'scapegoating' by armchair cynics to be more disrespectful....You can call it an appeal to authority, but I'll take Bennings, Green, Brian Burke and the players opinion.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wasn't Sutter named as the funniest guy on the team by most players? I never got the impression that Sutter was putting a luke warm effort here. Injuries were a problem but not effort. I have no issues with Sutter's effort this playoff series.

People on the outside take comments that are jokes between friends/teammates way too literally sometimes. I don't think Sutter is a bad guy or teammate. Was the same when Miller made fun of Virtanen in pre-game.

Then again, naming the guy who isn't funny at all as the "funniest guy on the team" is also something teammates/friends would do so who knows.

Reactions: F A N

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
People on the outside take comments that are jokes between friends/teammates way too literally sometimes. I don't think Sutter is a bad guy or teammate. Was the same when Miller made fun of Virtanen in pre-game.

Then again, naming the guy who isn't funny at all as the "funniest guy on the team" is also something teammates/friends would do so who knows.

the second point if correct would prove the first one.

i agree with you.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the attempts by people in here to justify their hatred of current management with a dated catalog of grievances is irrational. nobody expects perfection in a rebuilding gm. nobody making these critiques can define the mendoza line they are claiming benning fell below with his mistakes. it's just subjective and if we are being honest, it's conclusionary reasoning where the poster starts with an opinion and then looks for facts to justify it.

as for me. i say we are here. look at where here is. how did we get here? who did this. the management thread is kind of a talking heads song complaining when you have it good.

and you may find yourself
cheering on a shotgun jake
in another arena in the league
behind a team on a large playoff run
and you may find yourself with a beautiful team
with beautiful players
and you may ask yourself, well
how did we get here?
letting the games go by, but benning ran the whole team down
letting the games go by, but benning ran it into the ground
well be into the cellar again, after the cap room's gone
once in a lifetime, bennings running it into the ground

and you may ask yourself
how did he work this?
and you may ask yourself
how is this a large playoff run?
and you may tell yourself
this is not my beautiful team!
these are not my beautiful stars!
letting the games go by, bennings running it into the ground
letting the games go…

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Every good veteran is JB, every bad veteran acquisition is Linden on the fly.
Every good draft pick was JB, every bad pick was Judd.

brian Burke was also a master of acquiring goaltenders by this standard.
Don't forget that Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Fantenberg and Benn were all essential in getting us here and totally not anchors on the ice and capfriendly.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
the attempts by people in here to justify their hatred of current management with a dated catalog of grievances is irrational. nobody expects perfection in a rebuilding gm. nobody making these critiques can define the mendoza line they are claiming benning fell below with his mistakes. it's just subjective and if we are being honest, it's conclusionary reasoning where the poster starts with an opinion and then looks for facts to justify it.

as for me. i say we are here. look at where here is. how did we get here? who did this. the management thread is kind of a talking heads song complaining when you have it good.

Maybe that line should be a bit higher than being arguably the worst team in the league over a four season stretch while spending up to the cap. Even an average GM should get lucky with some personnel decisions and make the playoffs in one of those years where approximately half the teams make the playoffs, no?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

with beautiful players
how did we get here?
well be into the cellar again, after the cap room's gone
once in a lifetime, bennings running it into the ground

and you may ask yourself
how did he work this?
and you may ask yourself
how is this a large playoff run?
this is not my beautiful team!
these are not my beautiful stars!
letting the games go by, bennings running it into the ground
letting the games go…

Not sure about calling other posters out, but have a like for the Talking Heads reference.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Playing below replacement level and being by far the biggest negative differential in comparison to our opponents doesn't qualify as essential to me but we all have different standards of essential I guess.

Reactions: I am toxic and Flik

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Maybe that line should be a bit higher than being arguably the worst team in the league over a four season stretch while spending up to the cap. Even an average GM should get lucky with some personnel decisions and make the playoffs in one of those years where approximately half the teams make the playoffs, no?

i don't take seriously people who criticize someone for consistently doing what they would want them to do (tank) on the basis they didn't mean to do it. i think there is ample evidence the tank switch was thrown at the tdl multiple years in a row once it was clear the chimera of a dream of the playoffs was dead. pretty sure aquaman wanted his season ticket selling cake and to eat his good draft position too. to make that happen it suddenly became "play the kids" time. willie even complained about it one summer, if you recall, and vowed he would not do it again (he did).

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

with beautiful players
how did we get here?