Management Thread | Edge of Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
the only thing "hasek like" going on would be the desperate scrambling manouevers in this thread to "blame" this playoff run on goaltending.

i mean this is getting ridiculous.

do i need to link some hasek highlights for people to acknowledge how ludicrous your comparison is? let's see some highlight reels of these incredible hasek like saves by demko and markstrom against the knights? because i recall a relatively small number over 7 games that falls well short of hasek comparisons.

goaltending played an important part, but quite clearly the rest of the team played well, top to bottom, for us to win two series against good teams and get to within 6 minutes of beating a third team. you may not have liked the katy bar the door / shots the goalie can see from ouyside strategy that green employed to stay in it, but it was executed relentlessly, calmly and patiently and with considerable courage by the entire team.

it is tragic for so many posters in this thread to be so invested in their prior criticism of this team's management and by proxy players management signed that they have to diminish the significant accomplishments of all the players on the ice to avoid admitting they were wrong.

as i said before, i can only imagine the ridiculous takes in this thread after the 1982 run. these things just do not happen every day. be a fan and check your ego and enjoy it.

Only if you show ten saves in a 3 game span... shouldn't be that hard... or time consuming...

Reactions: geebaan

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I’ve seen some crazy shit here over the years, but the notion that the mauling we just received from Vegas was actually a great performance and a brilliant execution of a ‘strategy’ of some sort, and that Demko wasn’t actually amazing and that his .985 was just the result of amazing team defensive play has to take the cake.

it was a great performance by a physically overmatched team led by playoff rookies serving in the key offensive roles. it was an example of a coach playing to strengths, recognizing weaknesses and keeping a team competitive, and it was an example of veteran on ice leadership keeping a young team calm, focussed and on task. it was a fantastic developmental experience that very nearly turned into a conference final appearance, and i like the canucks chances of beating dallas if they had made it.

the bottom six vets did exactly what they were supposed to do. they weren't signed to win a cup. they were signed to support the young core in a playoff situtation.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
this is correct. it's also not a criticism of any player not to be a factor in their first playoff. it's normal enough that you would bet on it.

the fact people are failing to grasp is that this team somehow immediately began to compete in the playoffs playing a disciplined defensive style. if you think the bottom six veterans had nothing to do with teaching the top 6 how to do that, i suspect you never played the game.
yes i'm old enough to remember the criticisms of Pavel Bure and his playoff performances before he figured it out and that's a superstar player at 20-22 yrs of age.

I just don't see how people can go from choked about having a lottery team to choked we are getting close to a playoff team to choked we just about beat 2 of the NHLs very best in successive seasons and the best part is half the team never played in a playoff series before and it's captain had 1 in his rookie year 5 seasons ago.

And we have Tanev Toffoli Markstrom Sutter Baertschi Pearson Edler Benn Fantenberg as UFAs within 4-5 months of the start of next season and a bunch of RFAs to choose who to surround Horvat Pettersson Boeser Miller and Hughes with. It's a pretty good problem to have.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
the only thing "hasek like" going on would be the desperate scrambling manouevers in this thread to "blame" this playoff run on goaltending.

i mean this is getting ridiculous.

do i need to link some hasek highlights for people to acknowledge how ludicrous your comparison is? let's see some highlight reels of these incredible hasek like saves by demko and markstrom against the knights? because i recall a relatively small number over 7 games that falls well short of hasek comparisons.

goaltending played an important part, but quite clearly the rest of the team played well, top to bottom, for us to win two series against good teams and get to within 6 minutes of beating a third team. you may not have liked the katy bar the door / shots the goalie can see from ouyside strategy that green employed to stay in it, but it was executed relentlessly, calmly and patiently and with considerable courage by the entire team.

it is tragic for so many posters in this thread to be so invested in their prior criticism of this team's management and by proxy players management signed that they have to diminish the significant accomplishments of all the players on the ice to avoid admitting they were wrong.

as i said before, i can only imagine the ridiculous takes in this thread after the 1982 run. these things just do not happen every day. be a fan and check your ego and enjoy it.

VGK at VAN
VAN at VGK
VAN at VGK

The narrative that most of the shots were from the perimeter and easy is absolutely false. There were a lot of shots right in front of Demko and the slot. Goaltending almost won us this series. This isn't even disputable.

Get real. Almost everybody here( including me) was cheering for the team, and enjoyed being in the playoffs again. Nobody is diminishing their accomplishments. They ran into a better team in the playoffs. There is no shame in that. If you want to fix the teams problems, you have to talk about its problems. That is not being hateful, just realistic. If you look with everything through rose-coloured glasses, red flags just look like flags.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They don't have to do all of that.

They can keep 2 of the 3 big UFA's and all their RFAs if they want.

See how negotiations go and if Tanev and Toffoli want to be here and for what first. It's kinda crazy to be upset at not signing a 30yr old player when we don't know what kind of term or dollar they want yet
There is no chance we sign all our UFAs and RFAs. It’s far more likely we don’t resign any, because we have already committed contracts to old guys who contribute only to losing. Did you not listen to Benning after losing to Vegas? It’s a bloody mess. We will be worse next season, because Benning can’t plan, and manages in the moment. We should, after coming out if this re-whatever, have cap room to go after a much needed piece - like Pietrangelo. But no we can’t. We can’t do like the Hawks did signing Hossa, their missing piece. Thanks to Benning we get to go backwards.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Nobody is diminishing their accomplishments.

well a person here is calling the team performance "horrific". so we can stop right there and agree you're mistaken.

again, where are the video highlights of the goalies stealing this series? as usual i have been assigned homework to show hasek stealing a series, but not one of you can produce the video from a series that just happened where you all have the tape. you are the guys asserting as an obvious irrefutable fact that it happened. show me.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
There is no chance we sign all our UFAs and RFAs. It’s far more likely we don’t resign any, because we have already committed contracts to old guys who contribute only to losing. Did you not listen to Benning after losing to Vegas? It’s a bloody mess. We will be worse next season, because Benning can’t plan, and manages in the moment. We should, after coming out if this re-whatever, have cap room to go after a much needed piece - like Pietrangelo. But no we can’t. We can’t do like the Hawks did signing Hossa, their missing piece. Thanks to Benning we get to go backwards.

We can maybe resign two UFA's and our RFAs. IF Aqua sets an internal cap we are f***ed.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
it was a great performance by a physically overmatched team led by playoff rookies serving in the key offensive roles. it was an example of a coach playing to strengths, recognizing weaknesses and keeping a team competitive, and it was an example of veteran on ice leadership keeping a young team calm, focussed and on task. it was a fantastic developmental experience that very nearly turned into a conference final appearance, and i like the canucks chances of beating dallas if they had made it.

the bottom six vets did exactly what they were supposed to do. they weren't signed to win a cup. they were signed to support the young core in a playoff situtation.
And no those old guys (who you just stated can’t help win) have term left on their contracts, so we have to give up our valuable good players. Who do you think helps us win more:
Tofu, Marky, Tanev, Stecher, and Jake or
Sutter, Loui, Beagle, Rooster, and Ferland?
It’s pretty obvious this is the mistake of Benning. We will absolutely be a worse team next season. These old guys, who we are forced to keep over the young guys, are only going to get worse.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
so that's your idea of a series he stole? belfour arguably outplayed him.

Well Lehner shut us out 3 times... now I think its because we got badly outplayed but just saying.

well a person here is calling the team performance "horrific". so we can stop right there and agree you're mistaken.

again, where are the video highlights of the goalies stealing this series? as usual i have been assigned homework to show hasek stealing a series, but not one of you can produce the video from a series that just happened where you all have the tape. you are the guys asserting as an obvious irrefutable fact that it happened. show me.

People posted the game recaps... did you not just watch them?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We can maybe resign two UFA's and our RFAs. IF Aqua sets an internal cap we are f***ed.
To sign our UFAs and RFAs will require dumping at least two of the old toxic guys’ contracts. That will cost young prospects, which is our future affordable depth. We pretty much have to throw away the next two seasons until the old toxic contracts are (mostly) gone.
And why did Benning mention publicly he needs to talk to Aquilini about spending to the cap unless he is trying to soften the coming blow?
As you say, “we are f****d”.

Reactions: mossey3535

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Aqua is not setting an internal cap. The rest i agree with completely and have done it multiple ways on Capfriendly with reasonable salary asks/expectations.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
we had 6 shots going into the 3rd of game 7. Oh and we had a 5 minute power play too for part of that.

I am proud of a lot of the young guys on this team and the old guard, but we got smoked for the most part if you weren’t on the top part of our roster.

You do know that a higher danger chance where the shot misses the net doesn't count as a shot on net right?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
And no those old guys (who you just stated can’t help win) have term left on their contracts, so we have to give up our valuable good players. Who do you think helps us win more:
Tofu, Marky, Tanev, Stecher, and Jake or
Sutter, Loui, Beagle, Rooster, and Ferland?
It’s pretty obvious this is the mistake of Benning. We will absolutely be a worse team next season. These old guys, who we are forced to keep over the young guys, are only going to get worse.

i stated they weren't signed to win a stanley cup, not that they cannot win. it's not obvious at all we will suck next year. that depends on the young core getting better.

i'll take benning's "mistake" of having useful but slightly over the hill veterans for a year or two vs. the mistake of being any one of half a dozen franchises that waste a core flailing around

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
i stated they weren't signed to win a stanley cup, not that they cannot win. it's not obvious at all we will suck next year. that depends on the young core getting better.

i'll take benning's "mistake" of having useful but slightly over the hill veterans for a year or two vs. the mistake of being any one of half a dozen franchises that waste a core flailing around
The old overpaid toxic contract guys help us win? You’re satisfied with a mediocre team that is on the playoff bubble, and can’t win the Cup? Personally, I want my team to be a Cup competitive group. We have a really good young core. These older toxic contract guys are weighing that core down. Benning is a failure, and until he’s replaced I believe you will get your wish; we will continue to be mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad