Management Thread | Edge of Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What are your opinions of management if we do win the Cup this year? I've been on the fence but I think if we win the Cup, I can forgive the mistakes.

Let's not forget Chiarelli and Benning won the Cup in Boston, the hockey gods don't always favour the best & the brightest. Also a few seasons after winning Boston had to eject Chiarelli to reverse the downward spiral.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
They would erect a statue of Jim Benning outside of Rogers Arena and it would be glorious, if only for all the collective minds blown from this board.

Well, if you’re saying that rational minds couldn’t foresee this porous GM putting a winner together, you’re right. Minds would be blown. Not sure why you would see that as glorious though? Bait post?

Reactions: Peter10

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Damn, imagine how successful this team would be with Beiga and Hutton.

+ what ever the saved cap space could have netted us?

FalseNecessaryGuanaco-size_restricted.gif

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
While also being dragged down by Jim Benning's Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Myers, etc.

The young, cheap players on ELC's are carrying the team while the players he overpaid and signed long term are weighing it down.

Had this money been spent even somewhat competently, the young, underpaid core would be complemented by much better depth and support on both the offensive and defensive end.

We are completely reliant on a 2nd year #1C, a rookie #1D and a goaltender with 34 career starts.

That's not by design. That's Benning striking gold by pure luck after building a team full of overpaid plugs on garbage contracts.

The argument towards this management team was that we would never find a #1C, or a 1#D, or even a 1A/1B goalie stituation ever again. Now that we have all three, and are producing in the playoffs (I dare say better than the Oilers or the Leafs).. now what? Okay we have overpaid bottom 6ers but that's been the case since 2013/2014. We're producing and winning.

Hockey is never by design. You think the last place Avalanche decided to be last place by design and then become a juggernaut out of nowhere? No.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
“We could have beaten Vegas already had Benning signed better veterans”

“This team won’t be able to compete next season!”

“We won’t be able to improve the team next season due to terrible cap management”

what else am I missing

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Jim must be cracking up.
This has literally been best case scenario for him.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
“We could have beaten Vegas already had Benning signed better veterans”

“This team won’t be able to compete next season!”

“We won’t be able to improve the team next season due to terrible cap management”

what else am I missing

The bottom six is a problem and has remained a problem for the entire season and into the playoffs. We are lucky this Canucks core is actually clutch and performs, otherwise it's ugly. This is pretty insane to have your top players producing every single game.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The bottom six is a problem and has remained a problem for the entire season and into the playoffs. We are lucky this Canucks core is actually clutch and performs, otherwise it's ugly. This is pretty insane to have your top players producing every single game.
I wonder how we can improve the depth tho with the cap we have.
Who's "ready" from our prospects to jump in?
I think we need to be creative with trades.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Thought this TSN article was very relevant to us. You can have the best player in the world (McDavid) and still not have a good team because of the players around him. MacKinnon is a good comparison because COL only recently strengthened their supporting cast which has turned them into a contender.

It's a tangent to the whole who-inherited-what argument - it ultimately doesn't matter, because it's what you do with the core players that counts.

Nathan MacKinnon, Connor McDavid and the value of teammate quality - TSN.ca

Reactions: Bojack Horvatman

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wonder how we can improve the depth tho with the cap we have.
Who's "ready" from our prospects to jump in?
I think we need to be creative with trades.
Even if guys like Lind, Big Zack, and Hoglander are ready, who do they replace? The bottom six is full of the bad contracts. I could see change coming on D though. OJ and Rafferty?

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
While also being dragged down by Jim Benning's Sutter, Beagle, Eriksson, Myers, etc.

The young, cheap players on ELC's are carrying the team while the players he overpaid and signed long term are weighing it down.

Had this money been spent even somewhat competently, the young, underpaid core would be complemented by much better depth and support on both the offensive and defensive end.

We are completely reliant on a 2nd year #1C, a rookie #1D and a goaltender with 34 career starts.

That's not by design. That's Benning striking gold by pure luck after building a team full of overpaid plugs on garbage contracts.

Well observed, well observed sir.

I mean, any team with an ordinary or even below average management group could have easily swept Vegas.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well observed, well observed sir.

I mean, any team with an ordinary or even below average management group could have easily swept Vegas.
So the Loui, Sutter, Beagle, Rooster, and Baer contract’s are helping? How are these contracts helping?

Reactions: I am toxic

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If we beat Vegas tonight, I will tone down my criticism of Benning, at least until next season. As much as I haven't agreed with the process, I won't be able to argue with the results anymore. A lot of the time, even the teams with the best process don't make it this far.

Having said that, the off-season cap issues still persists and we're going to have high expectations now for this year and beyond. Benning still has a ways to go.

Reactions: vancityluongo

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
So the Loui, Sutter, Beagle, Rooster, and Baer contract’s are helping? How are these contracts helping?
Don't forget Spooner and Ferland.

This team is riding a couple of sizzling hot goaltenders courtesy of the 2 goalies themselves (and their work ethic/compete level/ability to handle pressure) and Ian Clark.

Period.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Next season could very well be a different story. Enjoy it while it’s here.

That's been my plan. Enjoy the run.

Try not to get too high with the wins, or too low if they lose. Enjoy the ride while it lasts because next year could be a real 180.

Reactions: I am toxic

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Canucks are positioned to just get better with a core of Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Horvat, Boeser, and Demko. Only Miller has just hit his prime while the others are still on a trajectory to improve.

I just realized all those players except for Horvat was brought in under Benning's tutelage.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
As much as Benning deserves blame for having to be over-ruled to pick Petey, he deserves credit for the Thatchwall pick early in the 2nd despite injury/?surgery at the time. Park, knocked out of.

PS am I the only one who prefers Virtanen over Nylander in the playoffs? Am I mad?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If we beat Vegas tonight, I will tone down my criticism of Benning, at least until next season. As much as I haven't agreed with the process, I won't be able to argue with the results anymore. A lot of the time, even the teams with the best process don't make it this far.

Having said that, the off-season cap issues still persists and we're going to have high expectations now for this year and beyond. Benning still has a ways to go.

Exactly.

I'm happy to defer to results over process. The only reason I ever cared about process is for the end results. My enjoyment of hockey is for the sport still, not just arguing about what management should be doing.

Will definitely acknowledge that I probably weighted process too much in the past, but I hope the people who have been arguing in this thread see that that is all it ever was; a discussion about process.

Any disdain towards Jim Benning is about wanting the team to succeed. You can be against the process but a fan of the results. I'd be genuinely happy for Jim Benning if we won tonight, while dearly hoping that he sees his process errors to this point and is able to fix them rather than doubling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad