Value of: Make Your Proposal for Sean Monahan

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I think Calgary would be open to moving Sean for a high end RW as well. With Treliving’s comments about Lindy as centre; have to think there may be something in the cooker to give the core a shakeup.

There just isn’t enough ice time to go around down the middle for Calgary if they are dedicated to moving Lindholm to centre full time, not when Backlund is elite at what he does; and Bennett showed to have another gear centring his own line.

I said this on the Flames board, there’s something we don’t see happening here; because the moves they’ve been making the past couple weeks are great but also the forward group is busting at the seams when it comes to legitimate NHLers.
As someone who’s a fan of a team that had issues down the middle for years I’m perplexed by Flames’ fans perspective that moving “Lindy” to center means that Monahan is on the move when they constantly rate him a 1b or high end second line center. In this scenario wouldn’t it make more sense to have both of them at center and love Backland given their respective ages and upside? I thought the Flames were rebuilding... or is that perspective incorrect?

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Brown is a project were we don't know if he will succeed. He would be a great addition to a team with 2 proven C's (longterm) already who can take the chance on him busting. I don't see the flames interested in him. Plus he probably doesn't have much value currently.
Thompson is looking petty meh rn... So yeah I don't see this package touching his value.

Im interested in him though... Not sure what his value is so won't make a proposal but id probably have Brann or Norris as the main piece and id assume it would be a ++ to make them move him

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Calgary would be open to moving Sean for a high end RW as well. With Treliving’s comments about Lindy as centre; have to think there may be something in the cooker to give the core a shakeup.

There just isn’t enough ice time to go around down the middle for Calgary if they are dedicated to moving Lindholm to centre full time, not when Backlund is elite at what he does; and Bennett showed to have another gear centring his own line.

I said this on the Flames board, there’s something we don’t see happening here; because the moves they’ve been making the past couple weeks are great but also the forward group is busting at the seams when it comes to legitimate NHLers.

Im not sure I agree regarding minutes. If you have Monahan and Lindholm both center their own lines, you have two proto-first lines. Which you probably deploy about equally.

This allows you to use Backlund where he is actually most talented: as a pure shutdown C on the 3rd line. He has enough skill to make use of his wingers, even in that scenario.

Which leaves you with Ryan to run the 4th line, which he is great at.

May 27, 2012
Earth
giphy.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Well.... You're doing it based off cap so I can respect that. My gripe would be with claiming Suzuki is a better player. Monahan is becoming one of the most underrated players in the league.
At this time you are right, Monahan is the best of the two. But, hopefuly, he might get equal or if the Habs finally get a break of non PPG players, be even better in a near future. Suzuki is a very interesting player. If there ever is hockey next season keep an eye on him!

Last edited:
Reactions: HyPnOtiK

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Ottawa:

Monahan

Calgary:

L.Brown
Lassi
2nd RP 2021
Calgary would easily decline.
Logan Brown might not even crack Ottawa’s lineup as a 4C, Lassi Thomson is most likely still atleast 2 seasons away from trying to crack an NHL roster, it’s also not clear what Thomson may even be and a 2nd with the aforementioned players is not enough for a proven #1 center in Monahan.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Calgary would easily decline.
Logan Brown might not even crack Ottawa’s lineup as a 4C, Lassi Thomson is most likely still atleast 2 seasons away from trying to crack an NHL roster, it’s also not clear what Thomson may even be and a 2nd with the aforementioned players is not enough for a proven #1 center in Monahan.
Brown is a scoring line centre. If he wasn't injury prone this would be a reasonable offer. Batherson, Thomson and a 2nd is a fair offer.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Brown is a scoring line centre. If he wasn't injury prone this would be a reasonable offer. Batherson, Thomson and a 2nd is a fair offer.
Ok but why would Calgary except this offer. The Flames are a team that is still trying to compete so why would they be willing to trade their #1C with a lesser replacement for Logan Brown or Drake Batherson who are no where near being a 1C and probably wouldn’t even make Calgary’s 2nd line in 20-21.

I could see this deal making more sense if Calgary was rebuilding but Calgary is not a rebuilding team so I would decline this trade from a Calgary POV.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This won’t be the best offer in the thread and would only make sense if the Flames thou Lindholm could slide over as 1C but this is what Carolina could offer.

- Trochek (2 x 4.75)
- Fleury or Bean
- B level prospect

I’d say depending on if Calgary wants Fleury or Bean it would affect the level of prospect included. For Fleury the prospect would be lower, Bean it would be higher.

Trochek would be the 2C for Calgary. He won’t produce as much as Monahan but there’s also over $1.5 mil in cap savings.

Bean is ready for the NHL and would slot in after Hanifin on the left side. He would need a defensively responsible vet D man to bring him along though.

If he continues his play from last year, Fleury is ready for consistent top 4 play. He can play in all situations and brings size and some physicality. Can also play both sides.

For the prospect Canes have a lot in the forward pipeline so there’d be something good to pick from in there depending on what Calgary wants to key in on.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
For a much better player, Monahan sure has an odd tendency to disappear in playoff games. Those games and moments matter to some fans and GMs.

I didn't know 8 points in 10 games was disappearing but okay.

He wasn't his best when we needed him in a clutch game, but he wasn't a disappearing act like most are saying. Come on.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
This won’t be the best offer in the thread and would only make sense if the Flames thou Lindholm could slide over as 1C but this is what Carolina could offer.

- Trochek (2 x 4.75)
- Fleury or Bean
- B level prospect

I’d say depending on if Calgary wants Fleury or Bean it would affect the level of prospect included. For Fleury the prospect would be lower, Bean it would be higher.

Trochek would be the 2C for Calgary. He won’t produce as much as Monahan but there’s also over $1.5 mil in cap savings.

Bean is ready for the NHL and would slot in after Hanifin on the left side. He would need a defensively responsible vet D man to bring him along though.

If he continues his play from last year, Fleury is ready for consistent top 4 play. He can play in all situations and brings size and some physicality. Can also play both sides.

For the prospect Canes have a lot in the forward pipeline so there’d be something good to pick from in there depending on what Calgary wants to key in on.

Honestly thats a "solid" offer, but both Bean and Fluery are Left Dmen, Calgary would want a right hander if any dman was coming back, so in this deal instead of the "B level ish prospect" I'd want a 1st ... if not then we just have to swap the 2nd piece of the deal(Bean/Fluery) and get a right dman with possibly no 3rd piece needed?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Honestly thats a "solid" offer, but both Bean and Fluery are Left Dmen, Calgary would want a right hander if any dman was coming back, so in this deal instead of the "B level ish prospect" I'd want a 1st ... if not then we just have to swap the 2nd piece of the deal(Bean/Fluery) and get a right dman with possibly no 3rd piece needed?

Nah I'd do it. Bean could very well make Hanifin expendable. I'd rather we get a 1st rounder as the last main piece in the trade and Calgary gives back a mid pick.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I've criticized Monahan plenty for the things he needs to improve on but this thread is full of people offering spare parts for a 26 year old career 60 point center like they grow on trees. One bad year does not mean he will get dealt for these garbage packages. None of these offers will get you Monahan. Some of them wouldn't even get you Bennett.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad