Makar vs Hughes vs Dahlin vs Heiskanen

Which player ends up being the best?

• Total voters

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Literally no one is saying these things. Dahlin has the highest potential sure, and the vast majority know that. However it's not a guarantee he hits it, or that what he does end up hitting is far and away better than what these other guys do. Right now, he's clearly below Makar and Heiskanen, and for me just above Hughes.
Agree, remember Patrik Stefan who was drafted 1st overall with all that damn hype, yea he shit the bed bad. Hype means nothing as indicated by Klingberg, Benn, Point and whoever else was drafted in later rounds.

Reactions: Snowsii

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Heiskanen has convinced me

Best all around and overall

I'm in this camp right now. A few months ago I would have said Makar, but watching Heiskanen, Makar and Hughes like hawks recently--I can't deny that Heiskanen's all-around game is the best right now. The X-factor will be Rasmus Dahlin--the baby of the young bunch and blessed with the most upside, if he pans out 100%.

Los merengues

Mar 24, 2019
People say Dahlin has most upside, promise.... Etc. Based on what excatly? 99% of people claming that dont have anything except his draft position to base that of off. Its getting pretty funny tbh.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
All 4 will be competing for the Norris for years, but Heiskanen for me. I love everything about his game, and he plays with so much poise for someone so young. A really special talent.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
People say Dahlin has most upside, promise.... Etc. Based on what excatly? 99% of people claming that dont have anything except his draft position to base that of off. Its getting pretty funny tbh.

Based on his skill/talent/size? Did someone really need to point that out to you?

Your ignorance seems to be providing you with some humor, but for the bolded I personally feel that joke is getting old and was never funny in the first place.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Two way game. He has the best combination of the offensive and defensive component for a young defenseman since Hedman. I think he’ll be elite on both sides of the puck.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
In all honesty, Heiskanen looks like prime Doughty right now and is on a slightly higher level than anyone else.

Hughes is next for me, he could end up having a Karlsson-esque resume.

Dahlin I still think has the highest potential but I am not sure it's all that much higher than Heiskanen any more.

Makar rounds out the group, which goes to show how strong this group is. I still think he needs some major work on the defensive side of the puck. Right now I feel like he is on par with Werenski, just in a much more conducive environment to producing points.

If Makar needs “some major work on the defensive side of the puck”, then what about Hughes? He was brutal defensively the last two games in the playoffs.

Tanev covers for a lot of Hughes’ mistakes defensively. He is fantastic offensively and with the puck on his stick though, no denying that.

Reactions: Dominance

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If Makar needs “some major work on the defensive side of the puck”, then what about Hughes? He was brutal defensively the last two games in the playoffs.

Tanev covers for a lot of Hughes’ mistakes defensively. He is fantastic offensively and with the puck on his stick though, no denying that.

Hughes does as well, but I also think Hughes is better offensively. He reminds me a bit of Karlsson out there, I can live with the blemishes.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hughes does as well, but I also think Hughes is better offensively. He reminds me a bit of Karlsson out there, I can live with the blemishes.

Makar kind of reminds me of Brian Leetch in some ways.

The new age D men which these 4 are look to be changing how we define the position. All of them are really special talents.

The common underlying traits are they are all exceptional skaters and have very high IQ.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
All 4 will be competing for the Norris for years, but Heiskanen for me. I love everything about his game, and he plays with so much poise for someone so young. A really special talent.

There's something very calming about the way he plays. It's a trait usually possessed by veteran defensemen, that's probably what makes Heiskanen stick out so much. Vast majority of the time you would not believe you're watching a 21-year old D instead of 29 year old veteran.

Reactions: Dominance

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Quite a bit. His overall talent is pretty rare, and he has good size to go with it.

If next season were to be 82 games I could see him getting to around 70pts, at least mid 60s.

Rookie Makar was 21 for most of the season and Dahlin would be 20 for all of next season under a normal schedule.
So I'm assuming you are stating this so that you can use the age crutch one more season if Dahlin doesn't surpass Makar's current season next year?

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
It all comes down what makes a best defenceman.

Offensively:
Makar
Hughes
Dahlin
Heiskanen

Defensively:
Heiskanen
Makar/Dahlin
Hughes

Potential:
Dahlin
Heiskanen
Hughes
Makar

This can sound harsh, but I think what we have seen from Hughes and Makar is pretty much what we will get in future. Dahlin and Heiskanen are playing in kind of tough teams, if Heiskanen would play in Canucks or Avs would his production be higher? Probably yes. And Dahlin in Sabres, well we all know what a mess that team is.

So I think Heiskanen and Dahlin has room to grow much more than Hughes and Makar. Thats why my answer is Heiskanen or Dahlin.

All 4 are amazing players though.
I think they all still have room to grow but I like your overall analysis.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Right now--after watching his coming out party this playoffs--I think Heiskanen's offensive upside is as elite as anyone on the list, including Makar.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
So I'm assuming you are stating this so that you can use the age crutch one more season if Dahlin doesn't surpass Makar's current season next year?

I'm assuming you think Makar was quite a bit better this year?

Dahlin doesn't need to do any surpassing and I won't care if his ppg is a little lower than Makar's was, though I don't think he will have too much trouble unless Kreuger really holds him back offensively again.

The age difference is just a nice fact that shouldn't yet be ignored.

Right now--after watching his coming out party this playoffs--I think Heiskanen's offensive upside is as elite as anyone on the list, including Makar.

It could be on the level of Makar (or Hughes), but not sure why you singled out Makar like his offensive upside was considered the highest.

I laugh whenever I see someone say him or Hughes have the highest potential offensively.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm assuming you think Makar was quite a bit better this year?

Dahlin doesn't need to do any surpassing and I won't care if his ppg is a little lower than Makar's was, though I don't think he will have too much trouble unless Kreuger really holds him back offensively again.

The age difference is just a nice fact that shouldn't yet be ignored.

It could be on the level of Makar (or Hughes), but not sure why you singled out Makar like his offensive upside was considered the highest.

I laugh whenever I see someone say him or Hughes have the highest potential offensively.
Why not? Makar has always been compared to Erik Karlsson. I thought Makar outplayed Heiskanen in their series TBH.

I need to see Heiskanen produce offense more consistently before I'd put his offense on Makar/Hughes level, he has a career high 35 points before these playoffs, let's see him do it again before we declare him the best. If you watch him in these playoffs I don't think he's going to be a consistent point producer in this league, a lot of bounces has been going right for him at the moment.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
It all comes down what makes a best defenceman.

Offensively:
Makar
Hughes
Dahlin
Heiskanen

Defensively:
Heiskanen
Makar/Dahlin
Hughes

Potential:
Dahlin
Heiskanen
Hughes
Makar

This can sound harsh, but I think what we have seen from Hughes and Makar is pretty much what we will get in future. Dahlin and Heiskanen are playing in kind of tough teams, if Heiskanen would play in Canucks or Avs would his production be higher? Probably yes. And Dahlin in Sabres, well we all know what a mess that team is.

So I think Heiskanen and Dahlin has room to grow much more than Hughes and Makar. Thats why my answer is Heiskanen or Dahlin.

All 4 are amazing players though.

Don't be so sure about the Canucks. They're actually a fairly pedestrian team offensively outside of the powerplay. Certainly better than the Stars this season but our offense doesn't even compare to the Avalanche.

Heiskanen is obviously incredibly talented offensively but I think everyone would agree that Hughes is an elite PPQB whereas Heiskanen is merely a good PPQB. I don't think Heiskanen's point totals would rival Hughes' on the Canucks for that reason alone. Credit to Miller for his contribution but make no mistake, our PP suddenly becoming elite is very much a result of Hughes joining the team full time.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Don't be so sure about the Canucks. They're actually a fairly pedestrian team offensively outside of the powerplay. Certainly better than the Stars this season but our offense doesn't even compare to the Avalanche.

Heiskanen is obviously incredibly talented offensively but I think everyone would agree that Hughes is an elite PPQB whereas Heiskanen is merely a good PPQB. I don't think Heiskanen's point totals would rival Hughes' on the Canucks for that reason alone. Credit to Miller for his contribution but make no mistake, our PP suddenly becoming elite is very much a result of Hughes joining the team full time.
We havent really seen heiskanen on the pp1 except last game where they managed to score pretty quick. Atleast as far as i am aware he has been mainly on second pp unit.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Not at all trying to provoke people, but was just curious if opinions have changed over the last four months, with three of the four of them having strong playoff showings. . . Thoughts?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Hughes has wicked skill with the with puck and has a bomb from the point, every time the puck is headed the otherway though he looks helpless. At his size I'm not sure that's ever going to change and it's going to hold him back from being regarded as a top defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad