OT: Football Thread

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Yeah my point is not that the 7th round is the place to find your QB. My point was more that paying a kings ransom to trade up for a QB is risky business looking at so many recent drafts.
There are a lot of developmental qbs still out there. I personally like Jordan Travis and feel like he is the Kirk Cousins of this draft. Someone will take him in the middle rounds and be very happy they took him.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Giants fans should be thrilled about last night.

Daniel Jones sucks f***ing ass. He's horrible. He's obviously not the path forward as the team tried to get up to #3 last night but just couldn't get there pick-wise for Maye (we have this confirmed, now, by every beat writer).

So, why is this a good thing? Because the Giants didn't settle. Dave Gettleman settled. That's how we ended up with hot garbage like Jones.

Schoen was clearly not sold on McCarthy and was using him as a smoke screen. He wanted Maye and only Maye (since he knew he couldn't get Daniels or Williams). And rather than force a mediocre QB pick like McCarthy in at 6, we took an explosive playmaker in Nabers.

Really fantastic job by Schoen to not get scared and force a mediocre QB pick.

No clue what Atlanta is doing, though. Penix, if he sits behind Cousins, will be like 27 or 28 by the time Cousins is done.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Giants fans should be thrilled about last night.

Daniel Jones sucks f***ing ass. He's horrible. He's obviously not the path forward as the team tried to get up to #3 last night but just couldn't get there pick-wise for Maye (we have this confirmed, now, by every beat writer).

So, why is this a good thing? Because the Giants didn't settle. Dave Gettleman settled. That's how we ended up with hot garbage like Jones.

Schoen was clearly not sold on McCarthy and was using him as a smoke screen. He wanted Maye and only Maye (since he knew he couldn't get Daniels or Williams). And rather than force a mediocre QB pick like McCarthy in at 6, we took an explosive playmaker in Nabers.

Really fantastic job by Schoen to not get scared and force a mediocre QB pick.

No clue what Atlanta is doing, though. Penix, if he sits behind Cousins, will be like 27 or 28 by the time Cousins is done.

Exactly how I see it. I'm thrilled on multiple levels. I love Nabers the player, and I love what Joe Schoen is doing.

It's crazy to me seeing so many NYG fans on social media having absolute melts that they didn't draft JJ/Penix/Nix 6th OA. That is IMO exactly what bad franchises do.,,

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW Jones sucks but he's a lot closer to Andy Dalton than he is to Jake Fromm. You'd think he's the worst QB in the world reading the freak out takes.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
There are a lot of developmental qbs still out there. I personally like Jordan Travis and feel like he is the Kirk Cousins of this draft. Someone will take him in the middle rounds and be very happy they took him.
I dont know the guy but Rattler and a couple of other QBs may fall under that lower risk type pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
BTW Jones sucks but he's a lot closer to Andy Dalton than he is to Jake Fromm. You'd think he's the worst QB in the world reading the freak out takes.

He is one of the worst starting QBs in the league, so I'm not sure what you mean. He sucks. He's trash. He's going to battle with Drew freaking Lock for the starting QB spot. They want to replace him (we now have that fully confirmed). I don't blame fans for wanting him gone at all. And with it seeming like Mara is pulling strings, I think that scares people even more.

Regarding Dalton, I don't agree at all. He's also not close to Andy Dalton. Dalton was a much better player in his prime than Jones ever was. Jones doesn't have a single season through his first five that surpasses any of Andy Dalton's first five years.

No, Jones is close to someone like Marcus Mariota. You can really draw a pretty clear comparison between him and Mariota when you dive into their stats. Just really bad starting QBs unless given the absolute perfect situation around them. Then, only then, can they be barely above average.

And if "barely above average" is what you get from having perfection around them? Yeah, that just sucks.

Daniel Jones, like Mariota, will be a journeyman backup after he leaves the Giants. He should thank Pepsi that Barkley was a moron. It's the only reason he got paid what he did.

Reactions: ponzu4u

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He is one of the worst starting QBs in the league, so I'm not sure what you mean. He sucks. He's trash. He's going to battle with Drew freaking Lock for the starting QB spot. They want to replace him (we now have that fully confirmed). I don't blame fans for wanting him gone at all. And with it seeming like Mara is pulling strings, I think that scares people even more.

Regarding Dalton, I don't agree at all. He's also not close to Andy Dalton. Dalton was a much better player in his prime than Jones ever was. Jones doesn't have a single season through his first five that surpasses any of Andy Dalton's first five years.

No, Jones is close to someone like Marcus Mariota. You can really draw a pretty clear comparison between him and Mariota when you dive into their stats. Just really bad starting QBs unless given the absolute perfect situation around them. Then, only then, can they be barely above average.

And if "barely above average" is what you get from having perfection around them? Yeah, that just sucks.

Daniel Jones, like Mariota, will be a journeyman backup after he leaves the Giants. He should thank Pepsi that Barkley was a moron. It's the only reason he got paid what he did.

I'm just saying that he sucks and can be barely above average but it's not like he's a non-NFL QB. If he gets weapons and an O-line around him and gives us barely above average results for a year or 2 is that the worst thing in the world? I want to replace him, but replace him with someone that has great QB upside not McCarthy when you have a guy like Nabers available.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I don't think the Giants take a QB, but if they want someone with supreme talent that can sit 3rd on the depth chart this season, Milton is the guy. Dude has all the tools, but lacks experience and needs work.

He reminds me of Cardelle Jones, but he had a bigger spotlight being at OSU in the college playoffs where Milton got 1 year on a good Tennessee team.

The Tulane QB is getting some buzz, but I'm not taking a QB from Tulane.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Rattler is going to go in the 2nd at this rate. I did say in the past I considered him to be a 2nd round value pick, so . . .
That is possible. Normally I would ask how many teams need a QB but I heard 66 different QBs played last season and with 3 on many teams I guess there is a spot for a few more.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Is it true Fashanu isn't likey to start for the Jets? Heard them talking about that on the Fan this morning.
Not that I know much but I expect him to start. That said it would be typical jets to draft an OL at 11OA that isn't good enough to start on their trash OL.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Not that I know much but I expect him to start. That said it would be typical jets to draft an OL at 11OA that isn't good enough to start on their trash OL.
Don’t worry , our OL will be injured to shit by week 3 he’ll get to start

It's just too bad an OL drafted in the top 10 or so isn't versatile enough to slot in elsewhere if his primary position isn't available. Admittedly, I know very little about OL in general, so perhaps it's unnusual for them to be interchangable.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
ATL gives Cousins $90M guaranteed for 2 years and then uses the 8th OA pick to cheat on him during the honeymoon with a QB who will be 26 in 2 years with no NFL experience if Cousins stays healthy. I just don't get it.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
ATL gives Cousins $90M guaranteed for 2 years and then uses the 8th OA pick to cheat on him during the honeymoon with a QB who will be 26 in 2 years with no NFL experience if Cousins stays healthy. I just don't get it.
If you really like Penix than 2 years is not a long time. They will need a backup QB for those 2 years regardless and Kirk is coming off a injury. It is not the typical win now move but its not crazy if you really like Penix for your future.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
if he ends up good who cares if he's 26. QB age chart is different than an NHLer age chart or someone like a running back or DB.

QB's don't even hit their prime until like 32

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
if he ends up good who cares if he's 26. QB age chart is different than an NHLer age chart or someone like a running back or DB.

QB's don't even hit their prime until like 32
That's only half the picture, though.

The Falcons are financially tied to Cousins for two years, after which they can whack him with a tolerable cap hit. But similar to the Giants with Jones, cutting him or trading him before that point is financially disastrous cap-wise.

This means that Penix is probably gonna sit for the next two seasons. Then if he starts in his third season but doesn't completely ball out, the decision on picking up his fifth year option will become very, very murky. You'll be operating on one season of data which is the ultimate small sample size when dealing with QB contracts.

If you decline his option and tell him to 'prove it', and he does, then he's got you in a nasty box where you have to hit him with the franchise tag after four years and the QB tag is ALWAYS substantially higher than the option unless the QB is Mahomesian after the first four seasons and has amassed a SB victory plus other trophies. If you are forced into the tag route and want to sign him long term, you have zero flexibility on the guarantees because it's axiomatic that the MINIMUM is the total of the first QB tag plus the second QB tag which I think is like 130% of the first. By the time that decision has to be made the QB tag will be around or over fifty million dollars so you'd be locked into a guarantee of 115-120 million cash payout over two years.

That's why teams start their rookie QBs almost immediately. It's to get a picture of their performance in respect of the QB contract realities as much as anything else.

Arthur Blank has been crying all offseason about how he's 81 years old and wants to win now. That's why they signed Cousins, and the correct thing to do in that quest would have been to draft a player who can help you NOW, not two years down the road. I turned to my wife after the Falcons turned in the pick and said 'Is Fontenot trying to get fired? Because that pick was like a giant 'F You' to his boss.....also made me think that Fontenot was being passive aggressive because maybe Blank bigfooted him signing Cousins.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is it true Fashanu isn't likey to start for the Jets? Heard them talking about that on the Fan this morning.
I mean he isn't going to start of Tyron Smith, so no. Of course Smith could get injured, but Fashanu is basically LT only so he is riding pine unless Smith goes down

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

The Falcons are financially tied to Cousins for two years, after which they can whack him with a tolerable cap hit. But similar to the Giants with Jones, cutting him or trading him before that point is financially disastrous cap-wise.

This means that Penix is probably gonna sit for the next two seasons. Then if he starts in his third season but doesn't completely ball out, the decision on picking up his fifth year option will become very, very murky. You'll be operating on one season of data which is the ultimate small sample size when dealing with QB contracts.

If you decline his option and tell him to 'prove it', and he does, then he's got you in a nasty box where you have to hit him with the franchise tag after four years and the QB tag is ALWAYS substantially higher than the option unless the QB is Mahomesian after the first four seasons and has amassed a SB victory plus other trophies. If you are forced into the tag route and want to sign him long term, you have zero flexibility on the guarantees because it's axiomatic that the MINIMUM is the total of the first QB tag plus the second QB tag which I think is like 130% of the first. By the time that decision has to be made the QB tag will be around or over fifty million dollars so you'd be locked into a guarantee of 115-120 million cash payout over two years.

That's why teams start their rookie QBs almost immediately. It's to get a picture of their performance in respect of the QB contract realities as much as anything else.

Arthur Blank has been crying all offseason about how he's 81 years old and wants to win now. That's why they signed Cousins, and the correct thing to do in that quest would have been to draft a player who can help you NOW, not two years down the road. I turned to my wife after the Falcons turned in the pick and said 'Is Fontenot trying to get fired? Because that pick was like a giant 'F You' to his boss.....also made me think that Fontenot was being passive aggressive because maybe Blank bigfooted him signing Cousins.
Any draft pick can backfire but his rookie contract will probably not be much more than some backup QBs so I can see why they took a risk if they loved Penix ability. Kirk is not getting any younger (he turns 36 before the season starts) and 2 years is really not that long. The Jets would have liked to have a Penix last season when Rodgers went down.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

yeah it was a weird choice for sure I just think people overreact to the age thing.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Any draft pick can backfire but his rookie contract will probably not be much more than some backup QBs so I can see why they took a risk if they loved Penix ability. Kirk is not getting any younger (he turns 36 before the season starts) and 2 years is really not that long. The Jets would have liked to have a Penix last season when Rodgers went down.
Jets could have had Jesus backing up Rodgers last year,and it wouldn't have made a difference behind that O-line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad