Makar vs Hughes vs Dahlin vs Heiskanen

Which player ends up being the best?

• Total voters

Honest M

May 11, 2012
IMO Hughes is a bit overrated, Heiskanen is solid low risk.

I pick Dahlin first Makar second, Dahlins ceiling is of the chart.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not at all trying to provoke people, but was just curious if opinions have changed over the last four months, with three of the four of them having strong playoff showings. . . Thoughts?

The only opinion of mine that has changed is that Heiskanen is even further ahead of Hughes and Makar than I thought initially.

Also I dunno where people are getting off claiming that Makar is way better in his own end than Hughes. Makar is a train wreck in his own end.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The only opinion of mine that has changed is that Heiskanen is even further ahead of Hughes and Makar than I thought initially.

Also I dunno where people are getting off claiming that Makar is way better in his own end than Hughes. Makar is a train wreck in his own end.

Is he though?

Pretty sure Makar’s scoring chances are 63-27 in his favour this season and high danger chances are 29-7 for Makar on the plus side.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is he though?

Pretty sure Makar’s scoring chances are 63-27 in his favour this season and high danger chances are 29-7 for Makar on the plus side.

How many games have been played so far this year though?

I'm leaning with the larger sample size though. If he keeps posting lopsided numbers in his favor I'll change my tune, but the gap between the 2 of them defensively last year leaned heavily in Hughes' favor.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
For me it's Heiskanen. The kid is a STUD.

After that it's Makar & Hughes.

Dahlin is a funny one. I do think he is incredibly talented but I believe Buffalo is ruining him and his development. I am not sure if he ever reaches his potential there. I can see him being the worst among them.

I also think his hype was too much.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar is a solid defensive player, maybe people don't watch him or assume points equals bad defense.
He carried an average at best Dman Ryan Graves all season to a +40 and juicy extension, now Graves looks terrible without Makar.

70+ point pace last season, PPG in the playoffs and leading Dmen scoring so far being PPG+.

Clearly a top talent offensively. Makar is also steady in his own zone, plays the body, doesn't cheat offensively and mostly makes the high percentage plays.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Makar is a solid defensive player, maybe people don't watch him or assume points equals bad defense.
He carried an average at best Dman Ryan Graves all season to a +40 and juicy extension, now Graves looks terrible without Makar.

70+ point pace last season, PPG in the playoffs and leading Dmen scoring so far being PPG+.

Clearly a top talent offensively. Makar is also steady in his own zone, plays the body, doesn't cheat offensively and mostly makes the high percentage plays.
Imagine if he scored those goals instead of hitting the god damn post. He would be leading the league in points :naughty:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yeah Makar is not nearly as "risky" of a defender as his offensive output makes him sound. He's not a "4th forward" or "200' rover" out there - he's just a possession monster in the offensive zone who, when he picks his spots, can also blow by everybody one the ice from end-t0-end. I always liked the Duncan Keith comp for Makar and I can see him evolving defensively into an all-situations monster who is slightly undersized but has a strong lower body and can play with some physicality.

I view Hughes as more of an all-ice weapon at this point the way he is utilized by the Canucks to try and completely control the game. It's a lot of responsibility and pressure on a young defender and it takes the other guys on the ice being very aware and a partner that is disciplined. It's a riskier style that is dominant on the PP but that's why the mistakes feel more egregious as well. When it's working though, it's beautiful.

A laugh that there are still so many people who just put these two in the same bucket because they clearly haven't watched them. They are completely different players. And yet so many responses are "Makar and Hughes, similar undersized quick skating defenseman".

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I’m curious where this debate is at after another season. Heiskanen was not his normal, otherworldly self. But Makar, as I understand it, has had a stellar season. Cant say much about the other two. Thoughts?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010

What the hell.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Not the same kind of Dmen, overall, in terms of value I'd rank them as follows :
Makar -> Offense first Dman with good D skills
Heiskanen -> Two way Dman great overall
Dahlin -> Two way Dman very good overall
Hughes -> Offense first Dman with poor D skills

As a VAN fan, Hughes was a defensive liability this season, let us hope he can improve his Defensive IQ, maybe bulk up a bit. But he has a great shot and great offensive possession play. However I would trade him without question for any of the other 3 Dmen mentioned. On the other hand I get the argument that such great offesnive Dmen are harder to find than solid two way D.

The other thing, is that their performance cannot be isolated from the team they play in. Would Makar have as much success playing for another team ? I am not sure but his possession game is soo great from the highlights I have seen and he fits like a glove in COL. Would Dahlin seem more impressive in a team which is not BUF ? Most likely. Also as much as I like Heiskanen, he is playing within a good Dcore in DAL, which may make him look more solid defensively than he really is. I am very high on Heiskanen, in 2017 I thought he could be selected in the Top 2, given his Liiga season at 17.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Easily Makar

The last two seasons are on an another level compared to the rest. Also the most complete player with the best skill set.

Heiskanen carried his team into SCF’s last year and was a potential Conn Smythe winner if his team won. He had easily most impressive run last year while Makar was outstanding too. This year Makar has taken step foward while Heiskanen took a step backwards. Makar still plays on a stacked team and his numbers are slightly inflated, but he has arguably been most impressive player on that stacked team.

I agree with you right now it is easily Makar, but don’t agree on Makar being better than Heiskanen last year and certainly not on a another level.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I’m curious where this debate is at after another season. Heiskanen was not his normal, otherworldly self. But Makar, as I understand it, has had a stellar season. Cant say much about the other two. Thoughts?
If you restarted this poll right now, it may get locked from a lopsided result in Makars favor. He has been that good. The others are all still fantastic young dmen who are in less favourable situations than Makar.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Both Hughes and Heiskanen took a step back this year. Dahlin didn't take a step back, but also didn't move forward from being mediocre the year before. He was never in the same tier as the other three except for the conversation about upside and potential.

I would have voted Makar last year, but understood that Heiskanen was close. Now there's no contest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad