Makar vs Hughes vs Dahlin vs Heiskanen

Which player ends up being the best?

• Total voters

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I think they are all great in their own way. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Although there aren’t many weaknesses. Four phenomenal d men.

Agreed, but for now Heiskanen is the best overall and most well rounded.

That can change in a year or two tho.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dahlin. This poll or some variation has been made about 10 times. This is the first time Dahlin isn’t winning, but fickle fans are swayed by the recent performances of Heiskanen. He could win the Conn Smythe. If this poll is done at the start of next season when they are all on a level playing field, Dahlin will win, like he has all the rest.

Reactions: AB13

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It really just comes down to Heiskanen vs Makar for me. I tend to put a lot more faith in the more well-rounded guy when it comes to defencemen and sustainability. So i'd pretty comfortably pick Heiskanen...but Makar is a crazy dynamic presence offensively, and there's no real reason he can't continue to refine his defensive game to close that gap.

Dahlin is the sorta "darkhorse" in this, which is weird considering his draft spot and all the hype around him as a prospect coming in. But i don't think you can completely ignore the pit of despair that has been his NHL surroundings thus far in his short career. He's the guy with the physical size the other guys all kinda lack. The other tools are all there to be the best of the bunch. It's also important not to underestimate the deleterious effects of "developing" on a bad team, and how that can affect a player's future trajectory either though.

Reactions: tricky

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Dahlin. This poll or some variation has been made about 10 times. This is the first time Dahlin isn’t winning, but fickle fans are swayed by the recent performances of Heiskanen. He could win the Conn Smythe. If this poll is done at the start of next season when they are all on a level playing field, Dahlin will win, like he has all the rest.
Dahlin still would need to beat them, as rest of three are right now ahead of him.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It really just comes down to Heiskanen vs Makar for me. I tend to put a lot more faith in the more well-rounded guy when it comes to defencemen and sustainability. So i'd pretty comfortably pick Heiskanen...but Makar is a crazy dynamic presence offensively, and there's no real reason he can't continue to refine his defensive game to close that gap.

Dahlin is the sorta "darkhorse" in this, which is weird considering his draft spot and all the hype around him as a prospect coming in. But i don't think you can completely ignore the pit of despair that has been his NHL surroundings thus far in his short career. He's the guy with the physical size the other guys all kinda lack. The other tools are all there to be the best of the bunch. It's also important not to underestimate the deleterious effects of "developing" on a bad team, and how that can affect a player's future trajectory either though.

I also have the same doubt about Dahlin. I actually think Buffalo destroyed Ristolainens potential too. I believed he could be a 1D, but overuse as a youngster and a bad team and pairings probably destroyed his confidence. I hope same doesnt happen to Dahlin. The kid has potential to be one of the best, but we`ll see...

I doubt more Buffalo`s management than Dahlins skills. I just hope they dont ruin him.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar has the highest ceiling imo.

He can be consistantly very close to PPG while having a solid all around game. Very few Dmen in league history have been able to do the same.

This was was only his rookie year, I very much doubt we have seen peak Makar.

Reactions: Dominance

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Makar has the highest ceiling imo.

He can be consistantly very close to PPG while having a solid all around game. Very few Dmen in league history have been able to do the same.

This was was only his rookie year, I very much doubt we have seen peak Makar.

I dont think that he has a higher ceiling than Dahlin either offensively or defensivley.

This was his 19yo season on a 1 line team. I know we haven't seen peak Dahlin.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Dahlin vs Heiskanen is the final, if we’re being totally honest and unbiased, Heiskanen is the best right now, and Dahlin has the most potential.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dahlin still would need to beat them, as rest of three are right now ahead of him.

They are ahead of him in the sense that their teams are better. They are not ahead of him in that people actually believe they are better, but we see a lot of people change their mind quickly, depending on which teams are in the playoffs or not. This has happened with many polls here recently.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
In all honesty, Heiskanen looks like prime Doughty right now and is on a slightly higher level than anyone else.

Hughes is next for me, he could end up having a Karlsson-esque resume.

Dahlin I still think has the highest potential but I am not sure it's all that much higher than Heiskanen any more.

Makar rounds out the group, which goes to show how strong this group is. I still think he needs some major work on the defensive side of the puck. Right now I feel like he is on par with Werenski, just in a much more conducive environment to producing points.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I dont think that he has a higher ceiling than Dahlin either offensively or defensivley.

This was his 19yo season on a 1 line team. I know we haven't seen peak Dahlin.
How much offense do you expect from Dahlin if he has the higher offensive ceiling?

Rookie Makar scored at a 70 point pace during the regular season and PPG in the playoffs.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
How much offense do you expect from Dahlin if he has the higher offensive ceiling?

Rookie Makar scored at a 70 point pace during the regular season and PPG in the playoffs.

Quite a bit. His overall talent is pretty rare, and he has good size to go with it.

If next season were to be 82 games I could see him getting to around 70pts, at least mid 60s.

Rookie Makar was 21 for most of the season and Dahlin would be 20 for all of next season under a normal schedule.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
They are ahead of him in the sense that their teams are better. They are not ahead of him in that people actually believe they are better, but we see a lot of people change their mind quickly, depending on which teams are in the playoffs or not. This has happened with many polls here recently.
Their resume is better right now..

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Quite a bit. His overall talent is pretty rare, and he has good size to go with it.

If next season were to be 82 games I could see him getting to around 70pts, at least mid 60s.

Rookie Makar was 21 for most of the season and Dahlin would be 20 for all of next season under a normal schedule.
So Dahlin is going to be putting up 90+ point seasons or something like that, I believe it when I see it.

Keep in mind that Makar is already scoring above the pace you expect Dahlin to reach next season.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
15 or so years from now I cant wait to come back to HF boards and read: "well Dahlin is only 34 and these guys are 35 so, hes a year younger and already almost as good"

1 or so years from now I can't wait to come back and read: "wow look at that Dahlin guy, I can't believe we doubted that he'd be the best"

or "I can't believe I thought he plateaued at the age of 19"

or "I can't believe I thought he was the worst option of the 4 as a PPQB"

the list goes on

So Dahlin is going to be putting up 90+ point seasons or something like that, I believe it when I see it.

Keep in mind that Makar is already scoring above the pace you expect Dahlin to reach next season.

He could put up some 90+ seasons but that is a decent level above your close to PPG for Makar. I just don't see him having a higher offensive ceiling at all; at best it will be on Dahlin's level, but more likely a little below.

Keep in mind under a normal schedule Dahlin would finish the next season at the same age Makar was when he started this season. Dahlin already added ~12lbs.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
1 or so years from now I can't wait to come back and read: "wow look at that Dahlin guy, I can't believe we doubted that he'd be the best"

or "I can't believe I thought he plateaued at the age of 19"

or "I can't believe I thought he was the worst option of the 4 as a PPQB"

the list goes on

He could put up some 90+ seasons but that is a decent level above your close to PPG for Makar. I just don't see him having a higher offensive ceiling at all; at best it will be on Dahlin's level, but more likely a little below.

Keep in mind under a normal schedule Dahlin would finish the next season at the same age Makar was when he started this season. Dahlin already added ~12lbs.

Literally no one is saying these things. Dahlin has the highest potential sure, and the vast majority know that. However it's not a guarantee he hits it, or that what he does end up hitting is far and away better than what these other guys do. Right now, he's clearly below Makar and Heiskanen, and for me just above Hughes.

bondra

Jan 18, 2019
It all comes down what makes a best defenceman.

Offensively:
Makar
Hughes
Dahlin
Heiskanen

Defensively:
Heiskanen
Makar/Dahlin
Hughes

Potential:
Dahlin
Heiskanen
Hughes
Makar

This can sound harsh, but I think what we have seen from Hughes and Makar is pretty much what we will get in future. Dahlin and Heiskanen are playing in kind of tough teams, if Heiskanen would play in Canucks or Avs would his production be higher? Probably yes. And Dahlin in Sabres, well we all know what a mess that team is.

So I think Heiskanen and Dahlin has room to grow much more than Hughes and Makar. Thats why my answer is Heiskanen or Dahlin.

All 4 are amazing players though.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

Offensively:
Makar
Hughes
Dahlin
Heiskanen

Defensively:
Heiskanen
Makar/Dahlin
Hughes

Potential:
Dahlin
Heiskanen
Hughes
Makar

This can sound harsh, but I think what we have seen from Hughes and Makar is pretty much what we will get in future. Dahlin and Heiskanen are playing in kind of tough teams, if Heiskanen would play in Canucks or Avs would his production be higher? Probably yes. And Dahlin in Sabres, well we all know what a mess that team is.

So I think Heiskanen and Dahlin has room to grow much more than Hughes and Makar. Thats why my answer is Heiskanen or Dahlin.

You're underrating Heiskanen offensive potential.

As you said, in different team(playstyle) he would have more points, and still he's leading in points.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Offensively:
Makar
Hughes
Dahlin
Heiskanen

Defensively:
Heiskanen
Makar/Dahlin
Hughes

Potential:
Dahlin
Heiskanen
Hughes
Makar

I think potential is
Dahlin
Makar
Heiskanen
Hughes

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Obviously right now it's Heiskanen then Hughes/Makar then dahlin

But dahlin is the youngest and has the most potential IMO

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Heiskanen now but I could see Dahlin potentially topping him 1 day.
Heiskanen
Dahlin

Other two

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad