Speculation: Makar point total projection for 2019-2020 season

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Byram is still more of an offensive type player than Mcavoy and I don’t think Byram will have the defensive abilities Mcavoy has. I do think Makar has higher potential than mcavoy(not by much), but I don’t see much difference between the two(overall level wise) coming out of college; just different styles of dman.
Mcavoy is a 40pt dman where do you see Byram projecting?

As for Mcavoy/Makar I guess we can agree to disagree there. I think Makar is a tier better coming out of college but I understand its arguable atleast.

Reactions: Ippenator

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Mcavoy is a 40pt dman where do you see Byram projecting?

As for Mcavoy/Makar I guess we can agree to disagree there. I think Makar is a tier better coming out of college but I understand its arguable atleast.

I see Byram around ~40pts but I don’t think he’s gonna have the same shutdown ability Mcavoy has. And that’s not to say Byram will be bad defensively, just that Mcavoy is a bit better there. I see Mcavoy as an average 1D and Byram as an elite 2D. So not a huge discrepancy between the two but a small but clear advantage to Mcavoy.

Reactions: cgf and avsfan09

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I see Byram around ~40pts but I don’t think he’s gonna have the same shutdown ability Mcavoy has. And that’s not to say Byram will be bad defensively, just that Mcavoy is a bit better there. I see Mcavoy as an average 1D and Byram as an elite 2D. So not a huge discrepancy between the two but a small but clear advantage to Mcavoy.
Fair enough. That's a reasonable projection of Byram. As for Makar I think he will top out higher than alot of people would expect but we'll have to see.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I’m higher on Byram. Honestly, i’d be really disappointed and surprised if he capped out as a 40 point player.

Leading the WHL playoffs in points as a draft eligible defenceman is no joke. His offensive instincts are elite. As for his defensive game, he was considered a complete defenceman coming into the draft. That’s not something that was said about Makar. And let’s not forget Byram was young for his draft year.

I think people look at what Makar is now and think Byram isn’t close to that, but it’s pretty hard to compare the two, since Makar is 2 years ahead of Byram in development.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m higher on Byram. Honestly, i’d be really disappointed and surprised if he capped out as a 40 point player.

Leading the WHL playoffs in points as a draft eligible defenceman is no joke. His offensive instincts are elite. As for his defensive game, he was considered a complete defenceman coming into the draft. That’s not something that was said about Makar. And let’s not forget Byram was young for his draft year.

I think people look at what Makar is now and think Byram isn’t close to that, but it’s pretty hard to compare the two, since Makar is 2 years ahead of Byram in development.

They’re also totally different players. Makar still had a lot of physical maturation to do post draft whereas Byram is already filled out for the most part. Plus Makar’s style of play is much more conducive to points than Byram where I think he more or less just was better at dominating kids his age. Either way both guys should be very good for a long time and it’s nice to have our top pair locked down for the next decade.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It is splitting hairs on two great players we are lucky to have.

That said, Makar is three years ahead of Byram due to his Oct birthday and will be 21 this fall. Byram played his entire year at 17 years old and only turned 18 weeks ago. That’s a pretty big difference. Byram was up against teams with a lot of 19 and 20 year olds who loaded up for the WHL playoffs so he was not just against kids his own age.

To answer the question, long term who scores more is probably pretty dependent on who gets the pp1 time. That could swing 20-30 points right there.

Assuming Makar gets some pp1 time this coming year I think 40 points is a reasonable hope.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
50+

The #1 PP minutes are huge and thats whats going to give him a big point boost. Over the last 2 seasons we were 8th and then 7th on the PP and with the addition of Kadri > JTC and Makar > Barrie we should be a top 5 PP.

I'm curious how much Landy's PPG increase this season with Makar setting up all those tip plays.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
One thing I hope Makar is working on is his slap shot. I think he only took one slap shot in the playoffs and it will help our power play if he forces teams defend him as a one-timer option.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I think it's something like 10 rookie defensemen in the last 10 years have hit 40 or more points. Expecting it is a very tall order and sets people up for some disappointment.

Again, as I said in the Barrie thread, not to take anything away from his playoff performance, but it was only 10 games. He's never played a full 82-game season before. I'd say that, like most rookies, he's bound to hit a wall at some point.

His first season, I think 30 points is a reasonable AND high expectation for him, anything else is obviously great, but I do worry about unnecessarily high expectations on him, especially as teams will know to gameplan for him, so it will be up to him to adjust accordingly.

18 year old rookie defensemen very rarely achieve 40 points or more. A 21 year old with Makar's talent, who has the chance to step onto a stacked PP unit with the likes of Mack and Rantanen, can definitely hit or surpass that number.

The biggest reason a lot of these young defensemen don't produce is PP deployment. For the most part they have guys ahead of them on the roster and they have to wait for that prime chance.

McAvoy has someone like Krug ahead of him. Heiskanen has Klingberg. Chabot had Karlsson ahead of him and as soon as Karlsson leaves Chabot gets the gravy and he's a 50pt defenseman WITHOUT nearly the talent around him like Makar will have.

Defenceman production lives and dies by PP1 time. IF Makar gets it he can thrive right away and be the next Chabot no problem because he's better than Chabot.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
18 year old rookie defensemen very rarely achieve 40 points or more. A 21 year old with Makar's talent, who has the chance to step onto a stacked PP unit with the likes of Mack and Rantanen, can definitely hit or surpass that number.

The biggest reason a lot of these young defensemen don't produce is PP deployment. For the most part they have guys ahead of them on the roster and they have to wait for that prime chance.

McAvoy has someone like Krug ahead of him. Heiskanen has Klingberg. Chabot had Karlsson ahead of him and as soon as Karlsson leaves Chabot gets the gravy and he's a 50pt defenseman WITHOUT nearly the talent around him like Makar will have.

Defenceman production lives and dies by PP1 time. IF Makar gets it he can thrive right away and be the next Chabot no problem because he's better than Chabot.
I like your optimism that's for sure. Better than Chabot will be quite a feat but he certainly has the talent.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

I agree with this. Both Makar and Quinn Hughes will be running the show from the blueline and are going to post huge numbers as a result.

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
Historical production of rookie d-man be damned... I have a hard time imagining Makar not hitting 50 points with his talent level and expected deployment. Then again, I'm on the extreme side and have been higher on him than I've ever been on any other Avs prospect, including Mack. I'll be satisfied with ~35 points.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m a lifetime NYR fan whose all-time favorite player was Peter Forsberg and had a huge infatuation with the glory day Avs so I’ve always followed you guys on the side and pulled for you in the west. I think 40+ for Makar is definitely in view. With Barrie gone he’ll get a lot of work on a stacked PP and I think you guys are a very improved team with Kadri, Donskoi and Burakovsky. I think they could all flourish in Colorado where the best line in hockey steals so much of the opponents’ attention.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Byram starts on your third paid and works his way to the second by mid-season. The kid is a gamer and I’m super high on him. I think he’s got all of the tools to be an absolute stud and the fact that he was 17 for all of last year tends to get overlooked. His defensive game is going to surprise people in 3-4 years because he just strikes me as a kid who is going to keep working and working. I think he’ll be a legit, if not top end #1 by the time he’s 22-23.

I feel like Colorado has an extremely bright future ahead.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
60+ Guy is magical.
Remember the players around him. We are more skilled next season. He'll be game ready.
I personally think we have Erik Karlsson 2.0 on our team with this man.
Remove Karlsson's 1st year, I can see a 2010 & 2011 Karlsson trend with Cale.

Skies the limits for the kid. He seems to thrive under pressure too

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Question.

What defenceman in the league would you be willing to trade Makar straight up for?

I’m curious what you guys think, because I think it would be a pretty short list.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dahlin I would for sure. I’m a maybe in Jones.

Hedman is tough, because he’s probably the best D in the league, but there is an 8 year age difference.

Hedman’s capable of 60+pts and can shut down anyone in the league on any given night and he’s only 28. You still got some really good years left with him.

Seth Jones is 24 and imo a top 5 dman in the league. He’s 50 point capable and a shutdown dman. I love Makar but he probably won’t have the same shutdown ability that Hedman and Jones have so I’d take the 10 less pts Jones gives you for a more well rounded defenseman.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m upping my Makar point projection for a second time.

I think he hits 50-55 this year. The kid only played 17 minutes a night in the playoffs and put up a solid point total without major PP time.

Now that he’s going to be the QB on the PP and will get around 22-24 minutes a night, I think 50 is very much in reach.

Phaneuf, Myers, and Werenski we’re all right around the 50 point mark in their rookie seasons, so I see no reason why Makar can’t do it.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Hedman’s capable of 60+pts and can shut down anyone in the league on any given night and he’s only 28. You still got some really good years left with him.

Seth Jones is 24 and imo a top 5 dman in the league. He’s 50 point capable and a shutdown dman. I love Makar but he probably won’t have the same shutdown ability that Hedman and Jones have so I’d take the 10 less pts Jones gives you for a more well rounded defenseman.
Jones has bigtime warts defensively , give me MacAvoy over Jones anyday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad