Speculation: Makar point total projection for 2019-2020 season

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
When I want to argue about a players defensive game, +/- is my go to stat as well because it is the most reliable and clearly defined stat available.

It is the least subjective stat and probably the most accurate of any player stat the league tracks.

They get goal scorers and secondary assists wrong quite often.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Jones has bigtime warts defensively , give me MacAvoy over Jones anyday
Yeah, I definitely agree on this one. Jones is a pretty good defenceman, but no way he is some amazing top class defenceman in the league though. He is good but not THAT special either offensively or defensively. He is very overrated in my opinion, and I get always very confused when I see some people praising him like he is somekind of a best of the best defenceman. I have seen him play that much that I just don’t see him as a very special player either offensively or defensively.

I think that Makar is an absolute beast and what I have seen from his play, it makes me think that he has the potential to be even the best modern day defenceman, especially offensively. And even defensively he has looked so far relatively good, although definitely he does need to work on his game still especially defensively.

But with the very skilled team that Colorado has, the great talent that Makar himself has and the way that Bednar gives trust and playing time to younger super talents, I think that Makar is destined to be a real superstar in the NHL, and the real breakthrough could very well start already the upcoming season. I could easily see an over 50 point season already for him right from the start. And I wouldn’t be that surprised if he would score even more points. Of course it all will depend also on if he can avoid nasty injuries. Anyway, he is VERY special and destined to become a superstar sooner or later (I’m betting on soon) in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
since I already predicted 80 points for Kadri, I think Makar will hit 70-75, coming close to winning the Norris and scoring a whooping 8 shorthanded goals all season. Heiskanen WHO?!

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
since I already predicted 80 points for Kadri, I think Makar will hit 70-75, coming close to winning the Norris and scoring a whooping 8 shorthanded goals all season. Heiskanen WHO?!
In the history of the NHL the most points by a rookie defenseman was 76 points and it was back in the run and gun days of 1980-1981. In the history of the NHL only 15 rookie defensemen have scored 50 or more points and none since 1992-1993. Makar looks to be the real deal but predicting him to get anywhere close to 70-75 points in today's NHL is extremely unrealistic.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
In the history of the NHL the most points by a rookie defenseman was 76 points and it was back in the run and gun days of 1980-1981. In the history of the NHL only 15 rookie defensemen have scored 50 or more points and none since 1992-1993. Makar looks to be the real deal but predicting him to get anywhere close to 70-75 points in today's NHL is extremely unrealistic.

For Makar I would say 15 goals, 35 assists is what is realistic but you never know. Makar was already noticeable in a good way during playoffs.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
For Makar I would say 15 goals, 35 assists is what is realistic but you never know. Makar was already noticeable in a good way during playoffs.
If he gets 50 points it’ll be the first rookie Dman since 92-93 season to get 50. I think 40 is probably a more realistic prediction. Perhaps 12 and 28 for 40 points would be a nice rookie season.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
50 points does seem like much but not many rookie dmen have had the stage set for themselves like Makar will.

He'll have elite offensive teammates, he'll be given PP1 time and he's also a mature prospect who's even seen some NHL games already.

50 is certainly possible but probably should not be the expectation. 40-50 points is much more reasonable while still setting a high bar.

I just can't wait to see how he develops and progresses through the season. He's a gem.

Reactions: Ippenator

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I definitely agree on this one. Jones is a pretty good defenceman, but no way he is some amazing top class defenceman in the league though. He is good but not THAT special either offensively or defensively. He is very overrated in my opinion, and I get always very confused when I see some people praising him like he is somekind of a best of the best defenceman. I have seen him play that much that I just don’t see him as a very special player either offensively or defensively.

I think that Makar is an absolute beast and what I have seen from his play, it makes me think that he has the potential to be even the best modern day defenceman, especially offensively. And even defensively he has looked so far relatively good, although definitely he does need to work on his game still especially defensively.

But with the very skilled team that Colorado has, the great talent that Makar himself has and the way that Bednar gives trust and playing time to younger super talents, I think that Makar is destined to be a real superstar in the NHL, and the real breakthrough could very well start already the upcoming season. I could easily see an over 50 point season already for him right from the start. And I wouldn’t be that surprised if he would score even more points. Of course it all will depend also on if he can avoid nasty injuries. Anyway, he is VERY special and destined to become a superstar sooner or later (I’m betting on soon) in my opinion.
I agree, Jones is seriously average and massively overrated. He is nothing special

As for Makar I'd be star this coming season

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Makar is going to get offensive opportunities that most rookie dmen never get. Assuming he plays the full season, I'd expect 45-55 pts.

He'll get first unit PP, lots of offensive starts and lots of time with MacKinnon. That's a recipe for some good numbers.

I know people worry about hitting the wall. I'm not to concerned about it. The kid is used to playing a bunch of hockey, NCAA season and postseason all the international tournaments they add up. Plus he gets a full summer of training. I think he'll be just fine.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
I mean it is New Scotlander. And back when that was his username he did inbox me saying he's trolling people a lot of the time.
Cant speak for NeW ScotlandScotlander but I'm not a Jones worshipper, as another poster stated above that watches him a lot m he's a good dman but the talk of him being amongst the best is not accurate. He's not great offensively and certainly not defensively. I'm not sure how that constitutes as trolling just because the 5 man clique doesn't agree makes no difference in my own opinion. David Poile surely isn't sitting around regretting trading him. The guy won't even put a honest efforts into getting his body in shape. I'm not sure how any of this constitutes as trolling.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Cant speak for NeW ScotlandScotlander but I'm not a Jones worshipper, as another poster stated above that watches him a lot m he's a good dman but the talk of him being amongst the best is not accurate. He's not great offensively and certainly not defensively. I'm not sure how that constitutes as trolling just because the 5 man clique doesn't agree makes no difference in my own opinion. David Poile surely isn't sitting around regretting trading him. The guy won't even put a honest efforts into getting his body in shape. I'm not sure how any of this constitutes as trolling.
Well I mean you are New Scotlander so :laugh: everybody knows. The dude is one of the best young Dmen in the league and will only get better. But hey, keep fighting the good fight against the evil HF clique. MHFAGA.

Reactions: missionAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad