Speculation: Makar point total projection for 2019-2020 season

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I'd expect similar points to Dahlin in his rookie year.

I expect slighlty more, Dahlin was really struggling with his adjustment from the softer physical hockey and the bigger ice in SEL. When Dahlin struggles are over he will hopefully start reaching his potential. I wish so from a Swedish point of view. ;-)

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think it will be a big number because of his ability to skate with the puck. I think he'll have a ton of assists.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Now that Barrie is gone, i’m going to up my prediction to 10 goals and 39 assists.

And I think we’ll see the same kind of solid defensive play from Makar that he showed in the playoffs.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Haha :) I love your Finnish passion but...

Well, now that Barrie is gone I'm not so sure anymore. And I'm far from Finnish homer :laugh: Heiskanen is already 1st pairing D man and I believe he will be #1D for a long time.

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Well, not that Barrie is gona I'm not so sure anymore. And I'm far from Finnish homer :laugh: Heiskanen is already 1st pairing D man and I believe he will be #1D for a long time.

You are right, Heiskanen will be fun following, that's for sure.

Reactions: Murzu

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Doesn’t change the fact that Makar isn’t a step above Heiskanen. Or Mcavoy at the time. Makar is a fantastic player and will be a great player in this league, but he’s getting overrated here at the moment.
Makar is a step above Mcavoy Imo. Heiskanen and him are like splitting hairs atm although I accept that Heiskanen is a little more polished due to his experience.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Makar is a step above Mcavoy Imo. Heiskanen and him are like splitting hairs atm although I accept that Heiskanen is a little more polished due to his experience.

How? Mcavoy came in and was basically a top pairing guy the moment he touched the ice. Makar is great but I just don’t see what he did in the playoffs that separates him from Heiskanen or Mcavoy.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
How? Mcavoy came in and was basically a top pairing guy the moment he touched the ice. Makar is great but I just don’t see what he did in the playoffs that separates him from Heiskanen or Mcavoy.
Makar was a better in college and a Hobey Baker winner.
Their 2nd college season-
Mcavoy - 26pts/5 goals/ 38gms
Makar- 49 pts/16goals/ 41gms

Now points aren't everything but Mcavoy's defensive edge isn't great enough to cover the gap between these two.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia

Now points aren't everything but Mcavoy's defensive edge isn't great enough to cover the gap between these two.

I thought the post was about point totals, not about being a top pairing guy. I think Makar can be a top pair guy, but his role will likely more focused on scoring and another defense pair will try to shut down the oppositions top line. I can definitely see Makar hitting 50 points now that there are now fewer Barriers in his way. If he plays on the top power play his minimum will be 40 points barring injury of course.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Makar can't be a top pairing guy without handling PK duties or getting heavy defensive zone starts... or so I was told! ;)

Makar is going to have every chance to put up points. It is a tall task in the NHL and he has his work cut out for him. 40 points would be a great accomplishment for the kid.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I mean Mcavoy is a top tier shutdown guy who’s more than capable with the puck on his stick. He’ll never be a 50 pt guy but he, Makar, and Heiskanen will all be in the same tier of player even though they all play a different style.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I think it's something like 10 rookie defensemen in the last 10 years have hit 40 or more points. Expecting it is a very tall order and sets people up for some disappointment.

Again, as I said in the Barrie thread, not to take anything away from his playoff performance, but it was only 10 games. He's never played a full 82-game season before. I'd say that, like most rookies, he's bound to hit a wall at some point.

His first season, I think 30 points is a reasonable AND high expectation for him, anything else is obviously great, but I do worry about unnecessarily high expectations on him, especially as teams will know to gameplan for him, so it will be up to him to adjust accordingly.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I mean Mcavoy is a top tier shutdown guy who’s more than capable with the puck on his stick. He’ll never be a 50 pt guy but he, Makar, and Heiskanen will all be in the same tier of player even though they all play a different style.
Tbf I wasn't trying to put down Mcavoy. He's kind of what I hope Byram becomes. I just think Makar has a higher end potential due to his ridiculous skill level and skating.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
He'll be the highest scoring defender on the team by a mile.

Of the other expected regulars Zadorov Girard EJ Cole none of them will put up many points. Makar will put up big numbers. Relative to the rest of the crew.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Will be happy with 40, or even just close...but I can't help myself from thinking he'll crack 50 if he doesn't get hurt or gas.

Was going to go ultra low and say 35 but I forgot about being on the PP (OTs too, Makar-MacKinnon-Byram). Gotta be at least 40 and I honestly have a hard time seeing him get less than 50 if he stays healthy.

Reactions: Ippenator

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
His first season, I think 30 points is a reasonable AND high expectation for him, anything else is obviously great, but I do worry about unnecessarily high expectations on him, especially as teams will know to gameplan for him, so it will be up to him to adjust accordingly.

True. But the advantage he has is that the Avs will be a very fast team up and down the lines. Speed creates opportunities. Ultimately speed kills.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
A more important question in my opinion, does Sam Girard finally catch his stride points wise? I see him as much more than a 30-point D. I could see him in the 40s-50s in his prime, only thing that I don't have confidence in is his goal scoring as his shot is well below average at finding the net.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Tbf I wasn't trying to put down Mcavoy. He's kind of what I hope Byram becomes. I just think Makar has a higher end potential due to his ridiculous skill level and skating.

Byram is still more of an offensive type player than Mcavoy and I don’t think Byram will have the defensive abilities Mcavoy has. I do think Makar has higher potential than mcavoy(not by much), but I don’t see much difference between the two(overall level wise) coming out of college; just different styles of dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad